IGNORED

Computer down

Yammer Dan

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Computer Down got major virus. From repair forum for weed eater carbs. Warden is working on it and I don!t have a clue. Posting this on her I Pad. I,m lost without computer. May get something done. Has black screen blinking cursor???

ware protection next time you go poking around Dan ;)

Good luck I'm having some computer issues as well. I'm on the road so I went to wally world and bought an el cheepo lap top to get me by till I get home and have my IT guy (son) fix my old one. I hate setting up a new computer you don't realize how much stuff you have on your computer till its gone.

what is going on with these computers, I have a Toshiba laptop I was using it one night shut it down got up the next morning and nothing on the screen and it does not sound like it finishes booting up. I connected an external monitor and nothing shows there either I think the video card has gone out.

Sorry To hear you got hit. It a PITA to get rid of this crap.I use "Avast" free version to keep them away. I have had some luck with an app called "SuperAntiSpyware" It got me back once oe twice. But its a long hard road.Reinstall is the way to go. Start looking for your install disks that came with the computer. Last guy, with no bootup, sounds like RAM. Just had that with one I built for my sister in law.Swapped out the RAM She is fine now. Good luck guys.

EVERYBODY NEEDs at least 3 Portable Hard drives... Its not if they go down but WHEN..And Like Mike, You won't know for a couple of weeks using it to see what all you didn't reinstall or where those files are..

I am with you, I seldom get virisus except when I am not behind firewall at home and if I do I just swipe the drive and restore from backup so I second the need for portable hard drives. In addition don't keep your data on the same drive as the OS.

We had microsoft security essential. We now have black screen with blinking cursor in corner of screen. Can't repair from disk. Chkdsk ran test tests all passed. Got file missing after trying to repair.NTLDR followed directions says it was fixed but it isn't.tried repair about 15 times stil l black screen I have only F2 and F12 the rest pretty much disabled which means no safe mode option.

I've used Avast for years, great anti-virus software. That being said, Microsoft now has a very good anti-virus software called Security Essentials. It's also free.

Another thing to use is Google Chrome instead of Internet Explorer and add McAfee SiteAdvisor, both are also free.

SuperAntiSpyware and MalwareBytes are good for cleaning up if anything gets past the software mentioned above. Both of these offer a free and a "pro" version. Normally the free stuff works well.

:080402gudl_prv:

Sorry To hear you got hit. It a PITA to get rid of this crap.I use "Avast" free version to keep them away. I have had some luck with an app called "SuperAntiSpyware" It got me back once oe twice. But its a long hard road.Reinstall is the way to go. Start looking for your install disks that came with the computer. Last guy, with no bootup, sounds like RAM. Just had that with one I built for my sister in law.Swapped out the RAM She is fine now. Good luck guys.

See if you can boot from a Linux disk and you may be able to recover some of your files otherwise you may have to start fresh.

Joe what is a Linux? Warden is really working on this but all we have is black screen with cursor in upper left corner. She was up all night trying to fix. Hate to loose everything we didn't have backup. All we have now is her I pad. I might get something done without computer.....

I would suggest getting a new harddrive andinstall it in your computer, set your old hd on the side for now. Reinstall windows on your new harddrive and get everything updated and reinstalled.

I would also buy an external case for a harddrive (cheap) and put your old drive into it. your computer should then recognize your external drive and allow you to get your picture files and other importanat data off it.. When youre absolutely sure you have everything off the old drive that you need format it and use it as a way to backup your files.

Pm me if you have any quesions.

Brian

Another thing that could be done would be to pull the drive and use an external USB adapter to connect it to another pc. From there, you can recover any files needed.

Here is an example of the adapter, http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-USB-2-0-to-IDE-SATA-2-5-3-5-HD-HDD-Adapter-Converter-Cable-/130707755450?pt=US_Drive_Cables_dapters&hash=item1e6eca11ba

Only $7 shipped.

I would suggest getting a new harddrive andinstall it in your computer, set your old hd on the side for now. Reinstall windows on your new harddrive and get everything updated and reinstalled.

I would also buy an external case for a harddrive (cheap) and put your old drive into it. your computer should then recognize your external drive and allow you to get your picture files and other importanat data off it.. When youre absolutely sure you have everything off the old drive that you need format it and use it as a way to backup your files.

Pm me if you have any quesions.

Brian

Sounds like a good one Brian. She is sleeping now satup all nighttyingto fix the thing. I,ll pass this on to her. I can barely turn these. Things on. I think I,ll stick with the 1st Gens. Doing anything with this I Pad is enough for me..... I needpmy puter back!!

Dan, sounds like you got one of those 2nd Gen 'puters. Also you can download Spybot... it is free. Also you can have the warden try going back to an earlier boot savings. It's called system restore.

Here is one link on how to do it...need to use one for the version you have:

http://www.ehow.com/how_4436099_computer-earlier-date-restore-point.html

Good luck

Dan, sounds like you got one of those 2nd Gen 'puters. Also you can download Spybot... it is free. Also you can have the warden try going back to an earlier boot savings. It's called system restore.

Here is one link on how to do it...need to use one for the version you have:

http://www.ehow.com/how_4436099_computer-earlier-date-restore-point.html

Good luck

The only problem with restoring is that I don't have a start button, can' t get past the black screen.I think its done for.I got a backup in the closet. Gotta drag that out I guess. And of course it's in the back.I will continue to try and get this one fixed .Thanks for all the suggestions.Fixing stuff is how I learn and breaking stuff is how I let of steam and I'm at the breaking point.

my grandpa use to say if you cant fix it with a 3 pound maull some bailing wire and a cresent wrench its broke.:rotf:

Good luck

thats the yankee way the red neck southern way is 3lbs maull roll of bailing wire duct tape and a piar of dikes it aint gona git fixed :whistling: :rotf::rotf:

Computer Down got major virus. From repair forum for weed eater carbs. Warden is working on it and I don!t have a clue. Posting this on her I Pad. I,m lost without computer. May get something done. Has black screen blinking cursor???

A similiar thing happend to me, but it was 2 years ago. I was looking up parts for my Murray Rider mower, and up poped a message saying that they had a video for fixing Murray mowers. I pushed the button and they had me hooked. I think I got rid of the result with "AntiMalware (free)", but my computer still sort of worked.

Until a couple of weeks ago, I'd been using Microsoft Security Essentials, but this computer started to get real slow. I did a full scan with Sescurity Essentials, but it found nothing. My provider is Comcast, and they provide Nortons for free. I loaded Nortons and did a scan and it says it found 10 items. Now my computer runs much faster. Security Essentials isn't as good as you'd expect from Microsoft, and after you get your computer running, you may want to try something else. There are a lot of free Anti-virus programs out there.

Frank D.