IGNORED

Venom rear mileage ?

I am replacing my Venom rear tire right now, it only had about 13K miles on it. I'm also running a Venom front. What kind of miles is everyone getting from their Venoms? I'm disappointed with the mileage on the rear. I'd like to run something with some tread in the center of the tire so wear will be more apparent. I'm thinking of switching to a different rear. What other tires work well with the Venom front?

Dunlop E-3, I have gotten 20K on and E-2 and then an E-3. I ride Single, no trailer,

My new 08 RSTD, has the Bridgestone OEM, at 4900 miles, its allready half worn out !!!!

I will be ordering a new E-3, and figure on changing it maby next month. Boy, that Bridgestone OEM is a piece of crap !!!

I have used both the Venom and E3.

E3 definitely will get about 3 to 4 thousand more miles, but Venom to me holds better in curves (Mountain type roads with lots of tight curves). If you ride mainly straight type roads, E3 may be better as they have a harder type center rubber composite. Both work well in the rain.

Milage is purely subjective and depends on riding style, and conditions. 13,000 on a rear tire ain't too shabby compared to others who have complained. The Venom is a performance tire and traction will be placed at the top of the list, and it does that job very well. If you want something that's going to last forever look around for a harder compound tire, but be prepared to take it easier in the twisties. It's always a trade off. Performance or milage, or somewhere inbetween. But you can't have one with out loosing the other....

Agree with most of what has been said on this one. Venom is best feeling tire I've ever used. For all 4,000 miles that it lasted! Dunlops still seem to be king if you ride these things. I'm going E-3 next round on back. Already have one on front. Tires just don't last me. Can't figure it out:whistling:

I was also disappointed in the 13K I got on my last ME880 rear tire, but I have since learned quite a lot about psi for the Metzlers, and what they should run at versus what the dealer or local tire shop have advised in the past. I have no experience with Venoms, but be sure to validate the OEM specs for tire pressure and don't go with what anyone else tells you.

My Venom on the rear is being replaced right now at the dealer. This was the newer formula rubber which replaced another (warranted by Avon) with terrible sidewall cracking. This replacement Venom also had horrible deep sidewall cracking & tread wear with right about 11,000 miles on it. Because I have a Voyager kit, I'm replacing it with a Nankang.

The front has about half wear with 15,000. It is a Venom rear tire with pattern reversed for front use. Still has sidewall cracking, but cracking is cosmetic.

The newer Avon tires are not the same as they use to be. Darn!

JohnB

I came to find out that I was running too low of a PSI (40 lbs) on my rear Avon tire...It only lasted 10,500 miles....After discovering my error I'm now using a higher PSI (48-50 lbs) as I should have been doing all along..

I'm expecting 14K or more this time around..We'll see

Venom needs higher air pressure to get the good wear and miles. Two years ago I ran a rear till the cords were showing and still had grip! I walked up to my bike in a parking lot and saw the cords shinning in the sun.....Scared me! Crawl 30 miles home at 35-40 mph....Love Venoms here!