IGNORED

Drive Train -Whine

Have a few questions on this whine. I always understood there was two sounds the drive train made. One fairly high pitched sound that changes with RPM and goes away or can’t always be heard. Also I understand there was a deeper sound as well, which you hear about the same times as the higher pitch sound.

The high pitched sound does not bother me but this deeper sound just started and has gotten louder in the past 500 miles. I have an 08 RSV with 21,500 miles, upgraded the clutch with PCW kit, 1,500 miles ago, new tires.

I hear the deeper sound at about 30 miles an hour in 3rd and as long as you are maintaining speed. Let of the throttle, or pull the clutch sound disappears. This sound is also there in 4th gear at 40 mph, and stays there all the way to about 60 mph. 5th Gear the sound is louder but at 65 it is very loud. I can still hear it at 75 but the wind noise is starting to drown out the sound.

Does this bike have the basket issue ?

Why did it just start or started shortly after I upgraded the clutch ?

Does it get worse with more miles on the bike ?

Any comments or suggestions.

Thanks

Brad

Tunes are turned up pretty good like always.

Same oil I have used for past 60,000+ miles Castro 20W-50 and has about 1,800 miles on since it was changed. Always gets changed before the 3,000 mile mark.

Brad

Mine is mostly high pitch and changes with speed. I need to go ride it and refresh my memory I have been riding the bmw for the last month and it sounds like a sewing machine. I will go ride the venture tomorrow and get back to you.

I always use yamalube, When I did my last they did not have 10w40 they had 20w40. I always change the crush washer and filter.

I am just curious what your rear tire looks like, have you changed it or is it coming to it's end of life??

Mine has never had the crush washer, Should I add one? It doesn't leak or anything.

i don't know if oil has anything to do with it or not. But at about the same miles my 08 developed a gear scream soon after I changed my oil to Amsoil synthetic. Very loud and very irritating. I changed the oil back to Yamalube and the scream subsided after about 800 miles. Coincidence? Maybe but I will stick with the Yamalube for now. Could your clutch upgrade do it. Maybe but I don't see how. Probably just a coincidence.

Mike :cool10:

Okay just maybe I deserved that one :innocent: but seriously the issue I doubt is oil. The high pitched whine I am okay with. But there is a lower pitched growl which sounds like gears. When the clutch is pulled in or let off throttle it goes away.

Don't like the noise, will have too look into it a bit more.

Brad

Brad, I may be wrong, but I think that the drive shaft and rearend gears will still be turning when the clutch is pulled in, so not thinking it is the rear gears, but have heard of the seal and bearing going out in the rear end, just seams that the sound would always be there.... Hope it nothing to serious.. what year is your bike?? Warranty???

Later and good luck,

Kreg

Okay just maybe I deserved that one :innocent: but seriously the issue I doubt is oil. The high pitched whine I am okay with. But there is a lower pitched growl which sounds like gears. When the clutch is pulled in or let off throttle it goes away.

Don't like the noise, will have too look into it a bit more.

Brad

Kreg bike is an 08, and has warranty until some where around Feb 2013. It will need to go Stateside to see the dealer though.

New York is relatively close by

Brad

Edited by BradT

• 1 month later...

I have my bike in the shop for the same reason .know body seems to be able to give me a straight answer .there goin to try the cluch basket.guess we will find out next weekT][/left]Em

Have a few questions on this whine. I always understood there was two sounds the drive train made. One fairly high pitched sound that changes with RPM and goes away or can’t always be heard. Also I understand there was a deeper sound as well, which you hear about the same times as the higher pitch sound.

The high pitched sound does not bother me but this deeper sound just started and has gotten louder in the past 500 miles. I have an 08 RSV with 21,500 miles, upgraded the clutch with PCW kit, 1,500 miles ago, new tires.

I hear the deeper sound at about 30 miles an hour in 3rdl and as long as you are maintaining speed. Let of the throttle, or pull the clutch sound disappears. This sound is also there in 4th gear at 40 mph, and stays there all the way to about 60 mph. 5th Gear the sound is louder but at 65 it is very loud. I can still hear it at 75 but the wind noise is starting to drown out the sound.

Does this bike have the basket issue ?

Why did it just start or started shortly after I upgraded the clutch ?

Does it get worse with more miles on the bike ?

Any comments or suggestions.

Thanks

Brad