IGNORED

People tailgating or following too close.

hog

Some people gotta be trained like mules. ...You club them between the eyes first to get the attention ...then you start the training

I like that! I do try to be patient, but sometimes you get someone that just needs to be educated the hard way. I don't think this individual was expecting to be pulled through the window. I think he got the message. Some things I just cannot let go or ignore.

Yes, I will also say that a lot of bad tailgaters are young women. I also like to wave them around when my radar detector is going off. :whistling:

RandyA

Randy it that common up by you?

When I was there in February I found the drivers extremely courteous. Maybe I got lucky that weekend or maybe I'm just use to the morons here in Hampton roads.

I'm possibly just numb to it being from NYC

Tailgating, I call it the "I'm as good as any Nascar driver" syndrome. Some won't stop it until someone else is killed or paralized for for life.

Here in Virginia I was told it's called "Draftin'!"

And they don't speed here either, it's "Qualifyin!"

:whistling:

Tailgating, I call it the "I'm as good as any Nascar driver" syndrome. Some won't stop it until someone else is killed or paralized for for life.

Wonder if any of them have ever noticed that the NASCAR drivers aren't texting or drinking coffee while racing.

Andy

What confuses me, is when I am road testing a big rig for a customer I get the same tailgaters. Come on! Just who do they think they are intimidating? Do they not realize if I slam on they brakes, they just become another bit of road grime on the rear bumper?:think:

I have pondered the idea of driving a bunch of 16 penny nails thru a 2x4 and attaching it securely to my trunk rack (so it could never come off). Then installing a brightly covered dog leash that ran from the 2x4 to within arms reach....

Thinking if i started tugging on the leash, it might motivate someone to BACK OFF!:rotfl::rotf:

-OR-

attaching the 2x4 so that it bounced around on top of trunk rack(but was secure enough to never fall off)

either way... I'm betting it would get their attention

I usually give a bit of a swerve as if I might lose control and they back right off. I was thinking about golf balls. Bigger than bearings but they don't damage the windshield so they can't claim damages or even prove anything happened.

That is why I like gravel. A golf ball will still dent a hood or take out a radiator, and it will be the only one around. There is gravel everywhere, really hard to even find the right stone, and then who is to say it did or did not come off a tire.:whistling:

Wow, it seems like we ALL have to deal with it eventually! Though I've run into a lot of road rage in my cage, I rarely have this problem when riding my 1st Gen. If someone gets closer than I like, I just twist the throttle until they disappear from vision and memory.:rasberry:

I can only hope you guys are jesting/venting about throwing anything from your bikes.

If one did they would be no better than the tailgater. And I'm sure a LEO wouldn't be to understanding about it either.

In fact, if you were to throw a handful of gravel/marbles/golfballs you'd probably pepper more than one car and perhaps cause a multi-vehicle wreck.

Throwing anything from your bike is not only dangerous but unacceptable and I for one won't ride with people that do.

Edited by CaptainJoe

Never admit to anything, they tell me that marbles and rocks disintigrate into the surroundings. just don't get seen launching it.........

If you want an exciting ride, you should come the Greeeaut Sta'ut O' Mis'sipi. (I like it here).......get on Hwy 3 between Yazoo Co. and Warren Co. on this road you can inspect, in great detail, all the crome (or rusted) grills in some of the most wore out log trucks in the entire South'n USofA........all from the comfort of your bike. they (the superb drivers of these beasts) will pull in so close that you can see only the grill with an occasional glimpse of bumper. and all this at about 80 MPH (if they can push you up that far) as they attempt to attain that one extra load of the day that will make their efforts worth while.........OH!...Then comes the harvest season.....nothing like farm trucks!!..:080402gudl_prv:

wow... funny I read all this... heh.

Ever since I started riding, I never had problems with tailgating, or anything like that... but now that I work, and regularly commute... oh boy.

Its 31 miles to get to work, in that span, 10 miles of it, I will be tailgated, and passed, repeated, while riding at 55 miles per hour.

Who pass me? idiots, or people in unnecessary hurry. It drives me nuts really. And it makes me laugh at times.

My unhappy moment. I was riding home, everythings fine, I'm checkin' my mirrors seein' who's behind me, looking ahead, etc. At this time, I'm riding my dads White 08 Wing. This was when we were waiting on my paycheck to get the new HC stator for the Lady.

Behind me is a 2009 Ford Mustang, silver, last two #s of his plate was 9K oddly enough. Two passengers, and a driver. No one was paying attention even me when they...

Damn near drive me of the $@#@# road to pass me. He got so close to clipping the front of the tire... I was pissed, but nothing I could do. He kept going. (and I was on the highway... go figure)

I wanted to do so many things, but alas. Nothing. I had not seen that Mustang around since then.

Oh yes, the happy part.

Do not pass someone, when the incoming vehicle a bit ahead is CHP :) (Highway Patrol) Its 300$s or so I'm told, to speed on the road I'm on (its the only road in the county where its a 300$ speeding ticket) but to also get caught speeding and passing, it gets bumped up to 500$ Ticket, plus driving school :D

(That someone being passed was me, I don't speed on that road because of how ticket happy high patrol is on that road)

Edited by JohnMidnight

fixit3546:

If people filed a report/complaint to the State Police every time that happened, belive me the problem would go away....

Description of driver, vehicle, license number, time of day and location/road is just about all you need. If you don't see LEOs patroling the road after about a week, go in nd file a written report. Once it's on record it kicks it up to the next level. Rt# 62 use to be pretty bad around the century aluminum plant.....Emphasis on the use to be...LOL

I have also been known to tell the Leos to park at the entrance of my park... (behind my rather large Ruby Lake sign) :whistling: the point is , people need to get involved, The cops can't be everywhere all the time and they are definately not mind readers.

In my experience, the florida turnpike is the absolute worst road I ever traveled on.

A pet peeve of mine is those idiots who tail gate (in front of me) and are on the gas...then the brakes, then the gas...then the brakes....etc

I always leave a good following distance so I don't have to react to the brakes every time...but then some people feel that my safe distance is an invitation to cut in in front of me.

Especially when they accelerate to get past me, cut into my lane and then slam on the brakes! They have just taken my buffer zone so now I HAVE to react to the brakes. So then the guy behind me who is tailgating has to react even more....etc etc

That's how sometimes you see highway traffic at a stand still for no apparent reason.

I Love lonely country roads!!!!!

When I was tailgated last Saturday, I was in the right hand lane. The clown had two other lanes to go fast in. Plus, riding through Roseville and Fraser, the police WILL pull you over at 5 mph over. So twisting the throttle to pull ahead is not an option. Plus the clown would have just kept up riding my butt. I will never throw anything from the bike. I prefer the "hands on" method.

When being tailgated, I first flash my light, then hit the horn & wave him (usually her) to back off. If that fails, I actually slow down in 5 mph increments. Eventually the idiot will either back off, or pass me.

fixit3546:

If people filed a report/complaint to the State Police every time that happened, belive me the problem would go away....

Description of driver, vehicle, license number, time of day and location/road is just about all you need. If you don't see LEOs patroling the road after about a week, go in nd file a written report. Once it's on record it kicks it up to the next level. Rt# 62 use to be pretty bad around the century aluminum plant.....Emphasis on the use to be...LOL

I have also been known to tell the Leos to park at the entrance of my park... (behind my rather large Ruby Lake sign) :whistling: the point is , people need to get involved, The cops can't be everywhere all the time and they are definately not mind readers.

In my experience, the florida turnpike is the absolute worst road I ever traveled on.

Problem is, they do patrol. and i have complained.............not in writing. in the last 21 years of traveling the northern half of this road, i have seen one HP with an 18 wheeled vehicle on the side of the road.....really.

I did get stopped a couple of years ago on that road. the Officer blocked both lanes of the road with his car and pointed me to the side of the road. and i did stop. Yep, i did get me a ticked, but i made him produce a ticket copy of one he wrote a log truck for speeding..........He was a nice guy. a couple of months later i met him at one of our county VFD meetings and asked if he remembered me...he actually did. he also told me i never had to worry about a ticket from him again.....like i said, Really nice guy.

it is blatant however that they give these "commercial" vehicles a little leeway. even the DOT officers set up their portable inspection stations in a location that misses most of this kind of traffic.........

Well I just pull over, let them go bye, and Usually they just start tail gating the next car in line !!! Its not worth getting into an argument, or confrontation with them. As this could lead to an " Ugly Situation " I have had that happen in the past.

Best, to just pull over, or take a right turn, or do whatever you can to simply

remove yourself from the situation.

Remember, on a motorcycle, YOU, are nothing more then a " Target" !!! and Easy Pickens !!! Go Away, and stay alive !!!!

Anyway, thats my 2 Cents worth, on the problem.

One more comment, on Tail Gaters, over the years I have noticed, that most of them, are young females, between 18 to about 30 years old. Hmmmm??? why??

Don't know. ( just an observation ) :confused24::whistling:

I totally agree. Remove yourself from the situation. You don't stand a chance on a bike. And as for the "young females" my conclusion exactly. I honestly don't believe they know they are doing it. Guess they were never taught one car length for every 10 mph. I always ride with my camera on a camera strap around my neck. I found people don't like their picture taken by strangers. A few camera flashes over the shoulder usually discourages them from getting too close :whistling: