IGNORED

Stupid idiot !!

XV1100SE

Most of the time when you think "stupid idiot" it is usually directed at what someone in a cage did. Well, in this instance... first thing I could think of after it happened was that I was the "stupid idiot". Hopefully someone else will learn from my near miss. Might be a good reminder "mid-riding season" to be carefull out there.

So here is my story...

Yesterday started out with me sleeping in (late night getting home after meeting other members) so I left work later than normal. Made for a long day at work. Considering it was my birthday I felt I deserved to sleep in that day.

Started followed my normal route home. Roads from Cambridge (Toyota plant) offer limited routes to get to Kitchener/Waterloo and at 5pm my best option was to head South to the highway (401- runs East/South-West) and get off at the first exit to go North from there. Clear sky, dry pavement, nice and warm.

For those that don't know the area, Sportsworld drive is 4 lanes (2 in each direction) and ends at King St which is also 4 lanes (again, 2 lanes each direction).

So I'm cruising comfortably along Sportsworld heading West to get to King St. Bit of traffic, a few bikes headed the same way. I'm in the left lane approaching the turn lane on Sportsworld to turn onto King. Probably 8 vehicles in front of me before the light which is red. One of the bikes passes me in the right lane and then cuts left to wedge themselves into the turn lane, they become 3rd from the light. I'm thinking that guy is inconsiderate.

Advance turn signal... I'm the last one thru before the advance signal ends. Car in front of me and I change lanes to the right lane on King. The other biker and cars ahead are pulling away (going faster) from us.

Since the car in front of me is going at a reasonable pace and I didn't have to rush anywhere, I stayed behind the car. No traffic directly behind us, left lane clear beside the car in front and I. I'm 3 or 4 car lengths behind the car in front, riding in the right lane in the left track. Sounds good so far doesn't it?

I tend to be aware of my surroundings, knowing what's ahead and behind and anticipating. Normally approaching traffic lights I'll check the cross-walk signal to see if the light is changing. This time, I'm looking to see where the bike ahead is as we are approaching a set of traffic lights (Tu Lane Road - T intersection with my route going straight thru). Maybe a group mentality wondering if bike ahead is going to get on the highway and if I'll catch up.

Not sure whether my vision caught brake lights on the car ahead of me, or if it was the sound of his screeching tires as he hit the brakes hard that diverted my attention back to where it should have been. Light changed to amber and the car in front of me wasn't going thru the intersection.

I apply front and rear brakes heavy, locking up the rear. The car in front of me is locked up and sliding the front end towards the right curb.

Funny how things go into slow motion in a situation like this. I can smell burning rubber as tires slide on the pavement... not sure if it is from my rear tire or the car. I'm closing on the car thinking I'm going to hit the rear of his car and this is gonna hurt ! Avoidance move and stop beside him or hope for the best... but hoping for the best and I end up laying on his trunk or thru his back window. Thinking... its my birthday.... better to avoid than spend the rest of my day in a hospital.

So... rear wheel locked up, heavy braking on the front (but not locked up)... need to turn a bit. Slight release of pressure on the rear to unlock it... as the wheel starts turning the rear end jerks left .... must have been sliding slightly sideways. Couldn't have been angled the other direction... had to swing the wrong way, lining me up with the centre of car in front of me. What started out as a slight veer turns into a large move required.

Lighter pressure on the front brake.... don't want to lock it up trying to veer left and then find myself low siding under his bumper. Do a quick counter steer to the left... straighten the handle bars...more front brake... heavy on the rear... locking up the rear again. Best option.... come to a stop beside the car at least.

I'm skidding... car in front comes to a full stop finally. Because he skidded to the right... his rear end is sticking out and he is taking the full lane. Gotta move more to the left to get around him... this is gonna be close!

Lighter on the front and rear... counter steer to the left...I'm clearing his bumper but I'm not going to stop beside him... I'm going to be in the intersection. Why did the guy in front of me jam on his brakes? Oh sh!t... the light had changed... is it still yellow or is traffic from the side moving yet? Glance up.... light is red .... glance left and traffic just starting to move. Stop in the intersection or go thru ???

Release front and rear brakes... rear wasn't going straight so it jerks to the side.... this time giving me some help in clearing the car and heading the right way. Accelerate to clear the intersection before the cars turning are where I want to be.

I don't know at what point I did it but somewhere between the moment I started reacting to the point where I had to accelerate I must have downshifted a gear. Engine smoothly accelerated and didn't bog down. I'm clear of the car, thru the intersection, and ahead of the cars that were turning.

First thought... what a stupid idiot I was. Inattentive for a moment... I could have ended up in the hospital and totalling the bike.

Second thought... wonder what the drivers of the cars turning thought when they saw what I had done. They must have been thinking either what an idiot I was or how skillfully I handled the bike. (to me it was pure luck !)

Me... I still think I was an idiot for not paying attention to the light and anticipating it and that the car in front of me would stop. How I avoided ramming the rear end of the car ahead of me... clearing it by maybe a foot... I was lucky. I did what I had to ... but I shouldn't have gotten myself in that situation in the first place.

Be carefull out there... mid-season and we start to get "lazy" in watching for hazards. The heat, the sun... easy to have distractions or day dream. Yesterday was a good reminder for me to stay attentive. I rode to work today... and thankful that I'm not in a hospital.

Edited by XV1100SE

The fact that you accept the blame is big, you will beat yourself up for a while but you also will improve as a rider. With a lifetime of riding behind me I have never forgotten my screw ups, even the 40 year old ones!!! Good job on both counts, you didn't crash and you know who screwed up. Thanks for the reminder .

Thanks for the birthday wishes and comments.

I know it was my mistake and as mentioned... will remember what I did wrong. Any time I have a close call or see something that I should have done differently I try to make a mental note.

Mind you... it is still based on the situation. Recently I was at a traffic light turning left and because of the sun couldn't see the light. Oncoming traffic and so I was waiting for a break in traffic. Only when a car stopped did I realize the light had changed. Traffic was starting to come from my right when I finally made the turn. 10 minutes later... similar situation but I could see the light. It turned yellow... oncoming car went thru the red. Had I assumed that the car would stop... Had I looked at what had happened 10 minutes sooner and seen it as a similar situation and made my turn... I would have been nailed by the car.

Learn from your mistakes (and other's) but every situation has some differences. Ride safe, be aware, and don't take chances or assume. Hope my tale keeps at least one other rider safe !

Really glad that worked out for you. Luck? Yes! But - you did a lot of things on instinct (Such as gearing down to have some acceleration capability if needed.) and that counts for a lot. While luck can be a factor, making sure we always practice our emergency moves so that they they can be done without actively thinking about them can really help out our "luck" factor. And, yes, learning for the next time never hurts. Happy birthday and I'm glad you're alive and in one piece to celebrate it.

Andy

Happy birthday! Glad thing worked out. A couple of my old sayings come to mind.

1) No one has walked on water in over 2000 years. Mistakes happen as does a moments inattention.

2) I have always said I would rather be lucky than good. Doesn't matter if it's luck or skill as long as it works out. (although a little of each is great)

Wait! One more pearl of wisdom. :sign **** happens:

Good post and very good reminder Don. I am convinced that my occasional "stupid" events over tha past 49 years of riding have served each time to remind me of how important it is to ride defenswively and always be alert.

Buddieee----Bin there -- Done That --- got the t-shirt ----AND BOY DID I FEEL YOUR ANXIETY AS I READ THROUGH IT. :yikes:

The trouble is it is so much easier to let your attention side track, then it is to maintain it and the worst part is a split second of inattention can undo hours of total awarness, scary aint it.

Really glad you came through unscathed. That will be one of the HAPPIEST Birthdays you will have in a long time.

BTY :backinmyday: Happy Birthday :thumbsup2: