IGNORED

Finally made it home from WI MD

Flyinfool

First a thanks to Orlin and family for a great week end.

My 180 Mile return trip ended up taking 7.5 hours thanks to a jackass in a P/U that took out my bike and the car behind me.

My poor bike is now held together with Gorilla tape, and bungee cords.

Just before Madison on 14 a P/U had a rock about the size of a softball roll out of the bed and come bouncing down the road. I swerved hard right and thankfully I was able to keep on the road, but the rock just caught the left saddle bag breaking the lid, the lid and the rock then flew up in the air and both hit the windshield of the car behind me. The rock ended up going thru the windshield and ended up in the empty passenger seat of the car. Other than some very rattled nerves there are no injuries. Both of us were very lucky. I had to sit at a McDonalds and eat ice cream till I calmed down enough to ride home.

Had I not swerved hard I would have caught that rock square in the front. Seeing what it did to the car, I am sure it would have come right thru the plastic front end of the bike.

I did not even know the bike and trailer and could even make a move like that. I guess the practice drills at swerving that I do in a parking lot are worth the effort.

Oh and of course the P/U never stopped.

I am now in the market for a left saddle bag lid for a 1st gen MKII. Preferably the metallic Maroon to match my 88. I have not inspected the bottom half for damage yet.

Whoa, that's scary, Jeff. Couldn't catch the guy?

Once I was passing a pickup that was hauling washed 1/2" stone in the bed with tailgate down...spreading that rock down the highway. Broke my windshield, headlight, BOTH driving lights and punctured the radiator. I pulled a "U" turn and followed him (at a discrete distance) to the next stop sign. I chewed his ass and found out who his boss was and followed up on it immediately. The Boss cursed his "stupid" employee and handed me $250 cash and asked if I wouldn't report it to the cops.

A rock like that could have killed somebody, though! Egads!

Well Shirley and I made it home also but not with out incident. Jeff must be something about MD in Wisconsin. About 12 miles or so after we all split up after breakfast we were riding along Shirley and I, Di on her bike behind me and Mike behind Di. Well We hit a deer in broad daylight. 2 fawns came up out of the ditch to my left and I missed the first one as it shot across the road in front of me but wasn't so lucky with the 2nd one. I had my left foot up on the highway peg and the deer caught the crash bar, my left foot and my left knee. It then spun it around and slammed into Shirley's left leg then the back crash bar caught the deer and spun it around again and it went between the back of the bike and the trailer slamming into the trailer crushing the left front on the trailer and busting the lid and taking off one of the locks. But I was able to keep the bike up and my knee is a little sore and Shirley's leg is alot sore and bruised but we are both fine. The bike didn't get hurt and the great thing is that since we had a trailer and the deer git it it spun the deer back across the road to the left so it didn't hit Di or Mikes bikes and cause a wreck. I hate the fact that we just did all the work to our trailer and now it is busted up but I will swap that for us not really getting hurt and neither did Di and Mike. It also was great the bike didn't get hurt either. In fact we must be really lucky because I also put insurance on the trailer Friday before we left.

Jeff I am sorry to hear about your bike but am VERY happy you are OK.

Now on a good note, Thanks to Orlin and Sharon for putting this on and for such a good time but most off all for making us feel so welcome at their home. Hats off to the both of you.

Damn....gladyou guys are OK. Talk about drama after a MD :). We saw 2 deer come out of the ditch, shortly after we left too...again, broad daylight. 1 stopped right in the centerline and the other stayed in the ditch. I stopped about 10 feet short....might be the ones you hit Rick...Ginny snapped a photo...I'll post it later. Great meeting all of you

Well We hit a deer in broad daylight. wasn't so lucky with the 2nd one..

You guys are lucky they were only fawns. If'n it'd been an 8 point buck like mine, results would've been different.....

Glad you were able to handle it and you're all ok.......

Wow this is more exciting than "AS THE WHEELS TURN!" I am glad everyone is okay.

Moped and I actually were going to try to go to this MD, after being strongly encouraged by Flyinfool. As it turned out, with trees falling on our car, no telling what would of happened if we went. But it sounds like it was fun. Maybe we will make it next year.

But we will take out a lot more insurance first!

Yama Mama

Dang, glad you two will be OK.

My damage sure sounds minor compared to yours.

That was a real nice looking trailer too.

Did you at least get to keep the deer, not much meat but what is there would be real tender.......:whistling:

Must have been the heat causing craziness in all living critters.

There were 3 deer that crossed thru our group during the ride on Saturday.

Just cuz its light out does not mean the deer are gone.

WOW, WOW...

What was in the water this weekend??? We had a close call in Mauston as everyone coming off the I-94 ramp was doing a rolling stop. Watched two cars and then a pickup with horse trailer do it, still we had room and time. But when that next car slowed to about 5mph and then stepped on the gas, we were on the brakes HARD. They stopped with the nose out into the intersection, and I don't think she has a clue why we slowed like we did.:confused24:

And then there was the pickup we met 10 miles from home on the way there that unloaded a 3 foot square fuzzy dice onto the road, and the pickup behind him takes our lane instead of hitting it.:bang head:

Glad everyone made it home safe, the bikes can be fixed.

Thanks again Orlin and Sharon for a great time while we were there. It was still worth the trip.:thumbsup2:

Later, Scooter Bob

Wow, Rick, wow. Hope you guys heal fast and that you get the trailer fixed. I got several pics of your bike/trailer from the weekend and I think it's a real nice combo. Make sure you go over the bike, just in case there was some hidden damage done to it. Other than the guy who pulled out in front of me, I had a muddy jeep get in front of me that was dropping dirt chunks, so I quickly changed lanes before I got hit with one.

Hope those we haven't heard from got home safely.

Thanks again, Orlin & Sharon!

-Andrew