IGNORED

Starter bike....

bj66

I've come across a '96 Honda Magna, that a neighbor owns. He is thinking of selling and it is in really good shape. I would spend a little extra to get it since I know it has been well cared for, but he is still on the fence about keeping it.

Anyway, my son is looking for his 1st bike, and I am a little nervous about this one. I know that these bikes are fast and quick, everything else about it I like. Especially the V-4 motor. I know for a fact that these bikes can get up close to 130 mph or more, and this worries me with a 17 year old.

Aside from the speed, if anybody knows of any other issues let me know.

Is it the V45 or the V65 magna.

I would not get anyone a V65 for a first bike, especially a teen that is still immortal.

It is a 1996 Magna. I would assume it is the same as the V45. 750cc bike. I think they quit the V65 awhile ago. Those were 1100cc's and did have some problems if I remember correctly. Faster than fast too.

BJ

My now 18 year old son started on a Honda CM250 Custom when he was 16. His smaller frame fit this bike at first. He outgrew it in one season and we found him his 1991 Honda 750 NIghthawk. This is a lot of bike in a small package. I have had people who know Dan tell me they see him ride it very responsibly. If you ride with him a while, he will understand how to ride it within his limits. Sure, he may have to "try it out", but he has a good teacher in you. What ever bike you two decide on, I would bet that the mods will start the first week.

Stay safe.

Dave

A little twist to my plan. I just found my sons bike. Since I havent heard from the neighbor, I started snooping through the paper and came across an 2005 V-Star 650 Classic. It has an aftermarket windshield, and is set up for either solo or rear pillion for the seat. It has Vance and Hines short shots on it for exhaust, which is louder than I'd like. But my 17 year old loves them. It has 6400 miles on it, and the origional Bridgestone rear on it. I can squeeze a few more miles out of it though. I can get it bought under 3000, so I just called the owner back and took it. Mid sized bikes around here at this time of year are hard to come by. The last 3 I looked at are 1000 over high book.

Hope to have a few pics sometime soon.