IGNORED

Riding in rain???????

Flyinfool

I've always used the regular stuff and have never had a problem.

I just looked at the RainX bottle & is does say Do not use on plastics unless approved by manufacturer.

Huh I never noticed that. Nonetheless I apply it every 6 months & my windscreen & visor are still crystal clear.

Be paranoid over train tracks. Wet steel is like riding on butter, dont even think of crossing at anything other than straight across.

Brakes, Unless you messed up and was tailgating, or a cager is actively trying to kill you you will be fine. Just do what you do in a cage and double your safe following distance and dont worry about sliding. MC tires that are not worn out work great in the rain, just drive like a old guy and assume everyone in a car has been told they get $1000 cash if they kill you. (I ride like that daily, but the drivers around here are that bad)

Lastly, the hardest part is getting soaked to the bone. An all day ride in the rain = wet everywhere under your rain gear. I have never found any rain gear that keeps you dry. If it's raining hard, pull over and wait it out with a hot cup of coffee at any place you can find.

Be sure to bring extra clothing, damp and wet clothes will chill you to the bone riding in the rain in 70 degree weather.

Microfiber towels in your front pockets.

Pledge both sides of your shield.

The thing that is the most frustrating to me while riding in the rain is the fog/mist that develops on the inside fof your windshield. Wipe it off with the microfiber towels...

forget the face shield or shades if you can, as they wiill mist up and you will be looking through many more mist covered surfaces...

just my two cents

Looks like you got some good tips there Jeff the only thing I can add is it's not as bad as you would think. First Three days of our Charleston trip was in the rain. The worst part to me is the blowing water from other vehicles than the actual rain. As far as gloves go I picked up a cheap pair of neoprene gloves at a sporting goods store the kind you might use for duck hunting or fishing they give you a good grip and keep your hands warm. When it comes to standing water the places I would worry about are in the parking lots or side of the road pulling off Kinda hard to tell how DEEP they are if you have to know how I know this will start another thread. But that water is standing there for a reason. When it was really pouring I was glad I had the trailer I felt like it increased my profile size from the rear and the extra lighting gave me some comfort from being rear ended. Oh and my humble opinion when it's really wet a little pressure now and then on the brakes to keep them dry is not a bad idea.

Is there a RainX for plastic? :confused07: I was always told to stay away from regular RainX that it would fog plastic so I never tried it.

Joe: Some windshields are made of a a material that recommends to use Rainx. Like my Clearview.

Also, Jeff. I use PLedge on my visor all the time and it works well for keeping the moisture rolling off the visor. AT highway speeds you barely get wet. I do put my stockinged feet into plastic shopping bags and then put my boots on before going out on a rainy day. Also If you can find some of those disposable plastic gloves to put inside your bike gloves it will help keep your hands dry and therefore probably a bit warmer too.

Brian

"Towing a trailer will be a nice help your peace of mind. It helps you keep pointed straight."

I can tell you from personal experience that is not the case. My experience happened in a down pour of hail with hail covering the road too, but it doesn't take much. Increase your following distance even more due to the trailer, and use as little braking as possible, especially on a curve. I only slightly touched my front brake to try to get off the slick road, and I almost immediately felt the trailer pushing the rear of the bike to the side. I learned real quick you can't correct the slide like in a car. Of course I was on a curvy mountain road and not the freeway, so you shouldn't have it too bad. Just be aware.

Many a tractor trailer has jacknifed due to insufficient/non existing trailer brakes.

The brakes on a trailer will snap everything straight if you have them set right.

Read something about motorcycle trialers with electric brakes a while back.

If I were towing a motorcycle trailer, brakes would not be optional...:confused24:

Oh.....

The most important piece of advice I could give about riding/driving in the rain is

DO NOT ENGAGE YOU CRUISE CONTROL! just like in a car they will accelerate you at the worst possible time and possibly wreck you.

Joe: Some windshields are made of a a material that recommends to use Rainx. Like my Clearview.

Also, Jeff. I use PLedge on my visor all the time and it works well for keeping the moisture rolling off the visor. AT highway speeds you barely get wet. I do put my stockinged feet into plastic shopping bags and then put my boots on before going out on a rainy day. Also If you can find some of those disposable plastic gloves to put inside your bike gloves it will help keep your hands dry and therefore probably a bit warmer too.

Brian

Good to know thanks :thumbsup:

Well I made it there and back.

I left home at 3:30am, pouring rain and 41 degrees.

It rained till about 5 miles from Dons.

I wore my blaze orange Gortex hunting coat, Gortex camo hunting pants, and Gortex hunting boots, and Gortex orange hunting gloves.

I was warm, dry and comfy (except for my marshmallow butt) for the whole trip, not a drop of water made it to my skin.

The Pledge had water beading off well.

On the wet roads the trailer made the bike a little squirmy in the curves, there was no instability on the way home on dry roads.

I did keep in mind a number of tips from all of you.

Thanks

Glad you made the round trip safe and sound Jeff. I just got in myself. A bunch of us from southern Ontario decided to come home across Detroit instead of Buffalo to avoid another wet cold and windy ride. Well 2 out of three was not bad we still had some pretty huffy winds. Once across the border at Windsor Marcarl, Wizard 765 and myself decided to take the back roads home, so we split from the rest of the group. It was a long ride but a beautiful ride. A great way to cap off a great weekend.

Of course Marcarl being the older one and a little long in the tooth we had to drop him off at home before we could carry on to our own homes. Marca was so greatful that we were willing to do this that she made us a hot cup of choclate before we continued home from there.

:innocent-emoticon::big-grin-emoticon: