IGNORED

biker went down due to the heat

oldgoat

i just want to say to every one i know how important leather and ridding gear is. but today i was behind two bikers who where in full leather. at a stop sign. well one of them started to kind of rock side to side on his bike. i thought he was just doing it to keep his balance. when all of a sudden the bike and him tipped right over to the right. right into the biker next to him taking both bikes down to the pavement, the one ridder managed to keep his bike on the crash bar. the other one did not look good at all. by the way i put my flashers on and got out to help. i called 911 and the ambulance attendent said it looked like a heat stroke? the guy was screaming in pain his arms and legs cramped up so bad they had a hard time getting a needle into him. we pushed his bike off to the side of the road. and called his brother to come and get it. nothing major broke on the bike. sso just saying be safe out there we all like a nice day to ride but it,s 91 out here today. and that heat can kill you.

Guest scarylarry

Gatorade or something like that is better they say...

2 things I will not drink is tea and cola's when I'm riding in this weather...

I just rode 670 miles yesterday and today through Ar. in the 70 to 95 degree heat with full mesh and full face helmet. I really think I am cooler with the mesh than back when I rode with jeans and a tshirt. I did get an early start both days. 366 yesterday and done at 4:30. 300 today and home at 1:00.

I just rode 670 miles yesterday and today through Ar. in the 70 to 95 degree heat with full mesh and full face helmet. I really think I am cooler with the mesh than back when I rode with jeans and a tshirt. I did get an early start both days. 366 yesterday and done at 4:30. 300 today and home at 1:00.

Remember:stickpoke: what you all from Arizona tell us.................it's a dry heat:stickpoke:

no, Illinois is a wet heat. Same as Kentucky heat. I think fish can crawl out of the ponds around here somedays.

That was my point, he said he had ridden in 70-95 degree heat and I was reminding him that the folks from Arizona are always telling me when I say something about how hot it gets there they always remind me it is a dry heat. I understand Illinois since I live here.

If it is hot and I am wearing my leathers I wet down my cloths and stay cool. I also have a cool vest that works very well. My mesh jacket is OK but it does not fit me very good (given to me by a friend that quit riding). I also drink a lot of water, Gatorade,or juice but not sodas or coffee. If you don't pee or your urine is dark you need to hydrate. Rod

That was my point, he said he had ridden in 70-95 degree heat and I was reminding him that the folks from Arizona are always telling me when I say something about how hot it gets there they always remind me it is a dry heat. I understand Illinois since I live here.

My bad, I read it wrong.

I grew up in southern Illinois. I remember the dog days of August.

Good on you for helping out. The wife and I keep water bottles in the freezer and when we leave in the summer we put a few in the saddle bags so we have cold water most of the day. I have also seen alot of Camel backs lately.

This is how I dress for the Texas 100°F riding. Cotton boxer shorts. Light cotton pants (not blue jeans) with mesh riding pants. Wickaway T-shirt, long sleeve RideCool evaporative vest. Mesh jacket. HJC Carbon helmet with Silks satin liner. I couldn't ride all summer they way I do in the Texas heat without a cool-vest. I have the one with zippered sleeves. I ordered it from http://ridecool.com/deluxe.htm it is a TechNiche's Evaporative Cooling Vest. I'm very pleased with them (I have several, spare, clean, dirty) With a rare exception it will last all day 6-8hrs (11am - 5pm). I lightly ring it out (not sopping wet) put it on over a t-shirt and wear a mesh riding jacket over the vest. Yes, the t-shirt gets wet when I first put it on, but you don't notice it after a couple of miles (better than wet with sweat). I find the sleeves are a big help. Wearing it for me means the difference of riding or not in the Texas summer. I also keep several frozen water bottles in the freezer for ready use to ride. Always have cold water as they thaw. I keep them in a soft insulated cooler bag. I keep a wash cloth wrapped around one of the bottles, always damp and cool for a refreshing wash of my face.

I've seen bikers drop a lot of bikes during the summer in AZ... mostly kids on crotch rockets, full face helmets, shorts and tennis shoes. I've been close enough to a few of them to help them up with the bike, but I'd wager to say that they will be wearing boots and jeans in the future. Broken toes and rocks in the knee caps are not usually something that is forgotten easily.

This is how I dress for the Texas 100°F riding. Cotton boxer shorts. Light cotton pants (not blue jeans) with mesh riding pants. Wickaway T-shirt, long sleeve RideCool evaporative vest. Mesh jacket. HJC Carbon helmet with Silks satin liner. I couldn't ride all summer they way I do in the Texas heat without a cool-vest. I have the one with zippered sleeves. I ordered it from http://ridecool.com/deluxe.htm it is a TechNiche's Evaporative Cooling Vest. I'm very pleased with them (I have several, spare, clean, dirty) With a rare exception it will last all day 6-8hrs (11am - 5pm). I lightly ring it out (not sopping wet) put it on over a t-shirt and wear a mesh riding jacket over the vest. Yes, the t-shirt gets wet when I first put it on, but you don't notice it after a couple of miles (better than wet with sweat). I find the sleeves are a big help. Wearing it for me means the difference of riding or not in the Texas summer. I also keep several frozen water bottles in the freezer for ready use to ride. Always have cold water as they thaw. I keep them in a soft insulated cooler bag. I keep a wash cloth wrapped around one of the bottles, always damp and cool for a refreshing wash of my face.

100 degreesw and 99% humidity.....................time to ride neked

I also drink a lot of water, Gatorade,or juice but not sodas or coffee. If you don't pee or your urine is dark you need to hydrate. Rod

BEER !!! Drink lots of BEER !! :cool10:

Seriously tho, the above by rod is good advice. I would also recommend salt pills.

Rode the entire Natchez Trace Friday/Saturday. Mid 90's both days. Lots of hydration stops along the way!! Rode Natchez to Leeds, AL on Sunday, again mid 90's and again lots more hydration stops! Leeds to Rockwood this morning, cooler ride until about Chattanooga where the sun was high enough to start heating things up pretty good again.

You may not feel thirsty, but you sure better hydrate! I prefer Gatorade or Power Ade.

Yes, hydrate. While riding you are loosing a lot of moisture through the air across your body and face. Dangerous and you may not realize it until it is to late.

I just got back from a pretty hot ride through the southern part of Michigan and down through the middle of the whole state of Indiana. We where riding right through the highest heat index on the weather maps. It was very hot and dry. We took water along in medium size coolers as always and stopped often for hydration.

Another good thing that I do is use a hankercheif soaked with the melting ice water from your cooler. Putt it around your neck and tie it very slightly. Works real well and really helps keep the heat at bay. I am thinking about getting me one of those store bought things to do this with. The cowboys from the west desert used hankercheifs to keep cool and other uses, and it works. You would be amazed at the road dirt that collects on you and especially anything wet while traveling on a motorcycle in hot dry conditions. My T-shirt was wet around the collar from the hankercheif and was so dirty that it looked as if I had not changed shirts in a week at 5 PM that evening at the hotel.

Fuzzy

Edited by FuzzyRSTD

I ROde +650 yesterday myself dothan Alabama to Marshall, il. The hottest feeling point was coming through Nashville. I had a mesh and padded riding jacket on for most of the trip. Wore a camel pack and finally dumped the water and topped off with cold water outside of ft Campbell. What was left in the pack I swear I could of taken a bath in it was so warm.

While in dothan stopped at a mc dealer and jokingly asked about getting a air conditioner installed. The parts guy showed me a frog togg chilly pad. Cheap enough I got one hoping it would help.

Ibhad broke the trip up down to dothan across two days and was miserable. May e it was having the sun mostly to my back on the trip home but being able to stand up and get my head and shoulder into the air stream with that wet pad on my neck sure seemed to help me feel cooler.

must of hydrated a little better on the return trip, bit not much. Kidneys were producing but not in vast quantities, was competing with the sweat glands.

If.I do many long rides like that in the heat, I am going to need something besides the stock seat on my 02 venture.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk 2

the key is to hydrate before...I coached Cross Country & LD for track runners and we always wanted our kids to start hydrating before the race starting 2 to 3 days ahead with LOTS of water...power aide & Gatorade during & after to replenish lost minerals ...to know IF you are hydrated your urine should be almost to clear, if not then you need more water...

Symptoms of Dehydration in Adults

The signs and symptoms of dehydration range from minor to severe and include:

• Increased thirst
  • Dry mouth and swollen tongue
  • Weakness
  • Dizziness
  • Palpitations (feeling that the heart is jumping or pounding)
  • Confusion
  • Sluggishness fainting
  • Fainting
  • Inability to sweat
  • Decreased urine output