IGNORED

Need a little help.

Had a problem this morning on the way to work and I am wondering what might have happened.

I ride to work pretty much everyday, had this 99 out and running in the low 20's just last week. She has never been cold natured. This morning was no exception. Temps in the low 60's started right up, normal warm up and off I went. Got to the end of the street and started to enter traffic and she died. I didn't stall her she just died. Started right up and crossed the highway into the center lane, accelerated and started to merge into traffic and just as I shifted into second she died, ran for a second, died for a sec, ran for 2 or 3 sec then died. Engine died, no fire at all. Everything else was working, lights dash warning lights, radio, everything just no engine. Tried to start and she turned over without a problem but wouldn't fire. Tried several 3 second bursts on the starter and nothing. Turned the bike off planning on walking her across the street into a parking lot to better assess the situation and then I realized it was dark and I was getting ready to push a big bike across a busy highway so I turned the key back on to get my headlight / Aux lights back on. Just for giggles I went ahead and hit the starter and she fired right up.

Gingerly tested her around town before I headed on to work an hour away. While riding to work I ran through possible problems and shot down the obvious ie kickstand interlock and kill switch. What I kept coming back to was the ignition switch which I know has been a problem for some before. Only problem is I though that if the ignition switch went out that the bike was pretty much dead, no lights, no fire, no nothing.

Got to work shut bike down and started her up 4 times without incident.

Any thoughts?

Thanks in advance.

With everything else hot I think it's your kill switch. I can't remember, but I think with the kick stand down it won't even turn over??? If you toggled the kill switch on and off a couple of times while messing with it on the side of the road it may have cleaned off the contacts a little more and she stated. I think...???

At first I thought it could be the kill switch or the kick stand interlock but if either one of those fails then the starter will not engage at all and it did and turned the bike over without a problem. It just did not fire. BTW I looked at but did not touch the kill switch while this was going on. That was the first thing I looked at and it was still on.

Thanks

Wayne

I'd say more ignition switch trouble. You turned the key off and back on, and it went away for a while. Similar symptoms occasionally happen to mine also. I switch the key off and on a couple times and then it'll start up with a loud bang in the exhaust from unburned gas going through. It's never died on me while running though. Nuisance.

I don't think it's the switch, maybe a bad ECU or ignition coil. My switch is bad and it wont light the dash or headlight up. I've wired around and may not even worry about changing it.

Did it sputter, kick, or something similar as it was dieing, or was it like it just shut off?

I don't think it's the switch, maybe a bad ECU or ignition coil. My switch is bad and it wont light the dash or headlight up. I've wired around and may not even worry about changing it.

Did it sputter, kick, or something similar as it was dieing, or was it like it just shut off?

No sputter at all just stopped firing. I was into the throttle after just shifting to second and she just died, came to life, died again 2 seconds later, came back to life and then died completely. Not a good feeling while trying to merge into traffic.

While reading your post the first thing I thought of was fuel filter. Maybe something stuck in it that moved a little? Maybe not -- but my first thought.

I like to periodically spray all of the switches with wd40 and move them a few times. It seems to clean up the contacts and keep out the moisture. It is not my idea, but someone on this site told me to do it when I had trouble with my 1st gen switches, and it worked well. (thanks, whoever it was!!)

Good luck! I am interested to hear of your final diagnosis, when you figure it out. I am watching the ignition switch on my 99' closely since reading all the posts about them.

Intermitent problems running... I would agree.. Ignition Switch.. Next time it happens try wiggling the ignition key and see if it fires up... Mine died one time and as I was gearing down in the breakdown lane I reached for the key and just touched it and it fired right up.. This was about the 4th time it happened.. Mine was under warranty and the dealer changed it even though I couldn't duplicate the failure.. FYI my dealer wasn't going to change it because he didn't have the special ignition bolts... He said they're designed so that to remove the ignition you have to destroy the bolts... something like chisling a slot in the head of the bolt so you can use a flathead screwdriver on it to get it off... I said put regular bolts on it.. couldn't see how it was going to stop a thief.

Thanks for the replies everyone. Rode home yesterday and to work this morning 100 miles and no incidents. I haven't had a chance to really get into checking things. Will to a good once over this weekend to see if I can find anything.

Thanks again,

Salty

You won't find anything just doing a ounce over. You won't know if the switch is bad by turning it on and off. Everything will power up except the bike won't run. You had best bypass the switch or replace it or it'll leave you stranded somewhere. When mine went out it did exactly like you are saying. I could wiggle it a little and I'd be OK. However, when I was out of town one day the little wiggle trick didn't work. I had, however, run 2 wires under the seat that I could plug together that would bypass the switch. If I hadn't done this I could have been spending the night where I didn't want to. I replaced the switch but still left the bypass wires there. I got the switch and all hardware from buckeye performance. Rick, who runs the place, knows the venture and can really help you out here. My bike was out of warr and I got all the parts, kept my original key, for I think around $120 or so. If you have a dealer do it you will have to keep 2 keys with you as you will now have a new ignition switch key. If I can be of any help give me a holler on this. Good luck.

Salty the ignition switch bolts have break away heads on them for anti theft.Drill and easy out them to remove then you can replace them with hex head bolts if you want.

If you get a new switch bring it to the feb meet and eat that Bildar is hosting and I will change the lock cyl between the switches and you will only need one key.

We can change the whole thing out in about 30 mins.

Just let me know so I can bring the drill and easy outs with me.

Jeff