My bike came with the 404's. Better tire than the Bridgstones that some have came with, thou the Avons seem to be the tire of choice for replacements

I have run the brickstones and I like the Comander II and the E3 and have given some thought to the darkside.

Thanks I thought probably that was the case because this is a brand new rim and tire w/out the disk so I will swap that over.

If it is an new OEM 404, I'd run it. No not the best handling tire, but I got more than 10,000 miles out of an OEM. On the other hand I only got about 6500 miles out of an aftermarket replacement 404.

404's are good tires and often used as OEM tires. My only complaint about 404's is poor tire life. I only got about 6K miles out of the one on the rear of my RSV. I get 10-12k out of an E-3, Avon Venom, and/or Michelin Commander. YMMV

I have read somewhere here that there were two versions of the 404 and one lasts longer than the other. Someone wrote there was a difference in the sidewall markings. It was in a tire thread and there are only "a few" of those on here so should be easy to find in search.....

Certainly no harm in running it. One less tire you have to buy,

RSTDdog

Last year I blew out the rear tire on our way down to Cody. It was replaced in Bismarck with a 404. 3000 miles later I need a new tire. There are a couple factors that will contribute to this poor performance but not this much me thinks.

I was towing a camper trailer, rode some 30 miles or so in gravel. Terrible mileage.

I average 20-25k miles a year and I had 404's on my 09 when it was new and got reasonably good service out of them. Granted they are not the best tire out there, but I got mileage similar to what Sylvester said, 10-12k out of the rear and about 14-15k out of the front. These were the tires that came on the bike and it has been speculated that the OEM tires are a better grade than the ones you buy afterward. I don't know about all that but any tire that gets me that kind of mileage is a pretty good tire in my book. I currently am trying out the Avon Venoms. So far they're about the best I've found for the rear and that includes the E3. We'll see how they hold up in the long run. The next best tire would have to be the E3. They just howl like crazy, but other than that, very good. If they made a Avon Cobra in a size to fit the rear of the RSV, I'd buy that one next. I had a Cobra on the front for 20K miles before it got a cut in it and I had to change it out. I had the Cobra on the front when I toyed with the car tire and it was great!!

After saying all that I have to add that not everyone's riding habits are the same. That's why one guy says he just loves the Pirelli Route 66 or the Shinko and I can't get 6,000 miles out of the ones I've tried. That's why I keep switching around. When I find the ultimate combo that works for me, I'll stick with it. You should do the same and take opinions with a grain of salt. That includes mine.

• 1 month later...
Guest tx2sturgis
I When I find the ultimate combo that works for me, I'll stick with it.

Just when that sounds like it will work, the manufacturers will change a tire compound or discontinue making the ones you like. Just like household light bulbs, the less durable they are, the more of them they can sell.

Just when that sounds like it will work, the manufacturers will change a tire compound or discontinue making the ones you like. Just like household light bulbs, the less durable they are, the more of them they can sell.

I agree.

If it is new it is worth putting the wheel on and trying the tire. If you don't like it change it. Even a few thousand miles is worth the try even if you hate it, replace it.

I have no problem with them and get 10,000 miles easily everytime. I run the WWW and have 14,000 miles on this set and not planning on changing it for a bit or a trip comes up.

Brad

Mine came with the 404's. The bike already had 2500 miles on it when i boought it. I ended up changing both the front and rear with another set of 404s. The mileage was 14255 when I changed them. I too was worried about a change in compound. I guess we'll see.