IGNORED

Anybody Upgraded Their Front Brakes?

Gary I can get the measurments your looking for I'll start tonight and it may take a day or two.

Gary one other question are you also posting on the VMAX site? I think we have had some contact that way also.

I am on that Vmaxforum.net some, but not as much as here.

Gary

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok it is you then.... I'll work on the measurments, where do you want them based from, the axle centerline, the lower mount bolt for the adapter? I have all the tools needed to measure with so I'll get started tonight.

To start I need:

From outer face of rotor to inner face of caliper mount surface on fork.

Thickness & dia. of rotors.

An approx. location of the lower end of the brake line connection point to the caliper, this would work best if done from axle C/L

Gary

Gary, you can expect simliar Measurements as i gave you. The early R1-Style Calipers are a bolt on to the 2Gens Ventures. I'm not sure what Rotors they use, i think 2Gens use 298 mm Rotors.

Brakes (Front) Dual 298mm discs

Brakes (Rear) 320mm disc

Tires (Front) 150/80-16

Tires (Rear) 150/90-15

I didn’t get a chance to take the caliper off last night but I did get the pictures to give you an idea as to the current setup and the calipers I purchased. In the series of pics of the front caliper one of the mount bolts is kind of hidden behind the reflector there is one shot showing that bolt. I will try again tonight to get the measurements. The Mount bolts are 100mm apart

I just had a friend upgrade his front brakes to R1 calipers on his '99RSV, and he couldn't stop raving about the difference. He said it was an OMG moment. I'll be doing the same thing to mine later this spring. It's a plug and play job. Pick up a clean set of R1 or R6 calipers off Ebay for $60 bucks with shipping, and that's all it's gonna cost.... The best bang for the buck mod you can do on an RSV. :thumbsup2:

A brakeing OMG moment: Thats sort of like useing the brakes on a Venture, then jumping onto the Busa, and compareing the brakes !!!

(( sorry, I could not resist throwing that in, ))

My point is you fellows wanting to , up - grade, your brakes, YES, Its the Right thing to do !!!!!!

I didn’t get a chance to take the caliper off last night but I did get the pictures to give you an idea as to the current setup and the calipers I purchased. In the series of pics of the front caliper one of the mount bolts is kind of hidden behind the reflector there is one shot showing that bolt. I will try again tonight to get the measurements. The Mount bolts are 100mm apart

Bear with me on some of my questions, I have zero RSV hands on experience.

In your 4th picture, it shows the caliper mounted to an adapter bracket that bolts to the fork. This adapter bracket will go away with the Radial bracket. Are the holes in the fork 100mm apart? Probably are but it is important !!

Gary

Bear with me on some of my questions, I have zero RSV hands on experience.

In your 4th picture, it shows the caliper mounted to an adapter bracket that bolts to the fork. This adapter bracket will go away with the Radial bracket. Are the holes in the fork 100mm apart? Probably are but it is important !!

Gary

Gary you know the measure twice cut once thing well I did measure them after I got the caliper off and yes they are 100mm apart center to center. I will be getting all the other dimensions tonight. I figured the whole thing would be replaced with the new brackets. Do you need the mounting bolts distance center to center on the calipers also?

Gary needs the Distance between inner Ears(or Tabs) where the floating Bracket mounts to, where the 100mm Distance can be measured, to the outer Edge of the Rotor and the Rotor Diameter.

Since some Members already mounted the R1's to their 2Gen, it's safe to say, the standard mounted lue Star Style Caliper fits the 2Gen Fork and Rotor.

I'll be getting all the rest of the measurements tonight for sure. Once I got the caliper off I found getting my depth micrometer in there shouldn't be a problem. One question for Gary though when I measure from the centerline of the axle to the lowest bracket bolt hole do you want it straight up then across or on the angle (straight shot between the two)?

So tonight I'll get

1) disk thickness

2) distance between the bottom of the mounting tabs to the disk

3) distance from lower tab mount hole centerline to the axle centerline

4) Rotor diameter

I'll make sure I have everything in one posting including what has already been posted.

Edited by PGunn
update

I'll be getting all the rest of the measurements tonight for sure. Once I got the caliper off I found getting my depth micrometer in there shouldn't be a problem. One question for Gary though when I measure from the centerline of the axle to the lowest bracket bolt hole do you want it straight up then across or on the angle (straight shot between the two)?

So tonight I'll get

1) disk thickness

2) distance between the bottom of the mounting tabs to the disk

3) distance from lower tab mount hole centerline to the axle centerline

4) Rotor diameter

I'll make sure I have everything in one posting including what has already been posted.

The axle center line to brake line connection point can be a 'rough' measurement. This is just a check to insure the stock brake line will reach port on caliper. It would be better to get me a vertical, then a horizontal distance. I don't need a 'Z' axis (in/out along axle), this won't make much if any difference.

A straight line distance is sort of an ambiguous way to do it, the straight line will help with the other 2, to triangulate and verify point. Within 1/8" is great on this measurement.

The critical one is from inside of fork ear to outside face of rotor.

Also rotor thickness will be needed, I have to center caliper over C/L of rotor.

Another picture that would be nice is a shot looking straight in at rotor, taken with lens at axle C/L, taken about 3 to 4 feet back to cut down on perspective changes. High res is nice. I can place this picture into CAD package and look at fitment of bracket. I can use the to fork holes which are a known distance to scale image.

Gary

Ok here are the dimensions I got last night if you need more ask the weather is nothing but rain or drizzle so riding is out for a while anyways and the caliper is already off the bike.

1) Back of the mounts to the disk face - 1.162 (29.515 mm)

2) distance from center line of the axel to the center line of the lower mount pad hole - 3.990 (101.346 mm)

3) Mount pad holes (After getting it apart I really measure here using 2 pins in the holes) - 3.945 (100.203 mm ). I was using a ruler to measure which it "looked" like 100 mm but after using pins in the holes I found I was way off.

4) Disk is 298mm diameter and .196 thick (4.978 mm)

5) The brake line connection on the current caliper is about center of it. The R1 caliper the brake line connection is at the top (?) end side of the caliper.

I'll update here to keep things together. I'll get the other info you asked for later today.

and a BIG thanks on this.

Here are pictures of the side with the caliper off / out of the way and a scale attached to the tube for reference. Ok the pictures are too big to upload here so I uploaded them to adobe sendnow they should be there for 7 days. they are in one zip file called bike.zip

https://sendnow.acrobat.com/?i=V4ePVlHttrKXGpSUlw-6Kw

Edited by PGunn
Update

• 2 weeks later...

OK I am presently watching/bid on a 14mm from a '04 Road Star. I'll have to buff it out to make it look chrome to match my clutch but that's no biggie, well a couple of hours of work and a lot of black dust! I just have to be real careful with the site glass...

Bobo,

I swapped Zipcodes front brakes to R1's on his RSTD and it was a noticeable difference with the stock master cylinder. I haven't got into the math as Lynn has, but it's a good upgrade with just the R1. I have also done the same thing and delinked the front brakes on my '86 I have now and am using the stock M/C and it too is a noticeable difference...:2cents:

Edited by Squidley

OK I am presently watching/bid on a 14mm from a '04 Road Star. I'll have to buff it out to make it look chrome to match my clutch but that's no biggie, well a couple of hours of work and a lot of black dust! I just have to be real careful with the site glass...

OK Bobo, I wont snipe ya on this....:smile5:

Gary not to rush you but any updates?

Thanks

I did work on them some tonight.

I have a set of #'s from Pgunn for the RSV's and Squeeze's #'s from an MKII.

Working through the differences between my set and what is needed for these bikes, little more challenging that it seems, due my slightly modified scooter.

Gary

Thanks Gary for the update

Got these off Ebay for 25.00 and a bunch of buffing with a bit of clear with chrome tops and levers.

Brembo front brake and clutch master cylinders.

Edited by PGunn

• 4 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...