IGNORED

Rotella T and gear whine

Venturous Randy

I have put 130,000 miles on my 83 and have had two different transmissions in it so I feel I know it pretty well. The oil I have mostly used has been Valvoline 10-40 and have also run Amsoil for motorcycles and some Valvoline Synthetic. This past oil change I put in the Rotella and even though the gear whine has not been real noticeable in the past, I am positively convinced that the whine is even less noticeable than before.

I know that this may not help the whine that is associated with the clutch basket, but it may help the straight cut gear whine that is normal in these bikes.

I was also wondering if any others that went to the Rotella oil feel this way? I got this oil at O'Rilleys for about $13 a gallon.

RandyA

I found the best way to get rid of the whine is to stay way ahead of the 2nd Gen trying to catch up. Ear plugs work too in case the 2nd Gen rider is really loud...:rotf:

I'm sorry....but it was left soooo wide open .....:confused24:

I have to agree with you. I switched to Amsoil synthetic motorcycle oil and within a few miles I had a whine that became became a scream. It made riding very unpleasant. So I crossed my fingers and switched back. Within a couple of thousand miles the scream was gone. All that remains is a chirp that really doesn't bother me. I just hope I didn't do any long term damage.

Mike

I use the Rotella 15-40 white jug and have also used the synthetic Rotella when going to drive the long haul. No problems or noticeable whine. The Delo 400 is just as good from everything I've ever read.:2cents::D

I use the Rotella-T Synthetic in the blue jug. That's all I have ever used. It's rated for 15k miles but I change every 5k. Almost 90k on the '07 and she runs great. I wouldn't even consider changing. Wal-Mart has the best price in this area.

• 2 weeks later...

This is my first post since joining VentureRider.Org. I have 700+ miles on Rotella T6 5W-40 Synthetic from Walmart. I also used about 6 Ounces of MotorKote, based on some threads I've read here on the VentureRiders.Org site.

I'm thinking my 2nd Gen 2000 Yamaha Venture Chirp is louder in low gears compared to regular oil, but completely gone above 60MPH in 4th, and 72MPH in 5th.

I'm learning to ride at slightly higher RPMs than I did on my '05 Ultra Classic. Higher RPMs which seems to reduce chirp substantially.

Rotella 5W-40 may be a bit thin for my riding, but it seems there are no other Rotella options. Amsoil 20W-50 perhaps?

Hawk-19

USAF

Guest scarylarry

$13.00 is a good price for that oil if they still have it today wally world is around 12.50 and plus all the village idiots you can stand...

I will be going by O' Reilys heck they even smile and talk to you while you are there...

I did switch back to plain old Rotella 10/40 Dino... and I also added 8 oz of STP.

An old trick a guy has been doing on his RSV and it now has 220 K on it.

Sounds Much Much Much Better Now.

The Amsoil I have been using over the years seems to make it SCREEM More.

(AND NO CLUTCH SLIP) tranny shifts real nice as well.

Jeff

I did switch back to plain old Rotella 10/40 Dino... and I also added 8 oz of STP.

An old trick a guy has been doing on his RSV and it now has 220 K on it.

Sounds Much Much Much Better Now.

The Amsoil I have been using over the years seems to make it SCREEM More.

(AND NO CLUTCH SLIP) tranny shifts real nice as well.

Jeff

Wondered about STP, but thought it could/would cause clutch slip?

Seems to be doing just fine. I had the same concern as well. but after talking with the guy that has been doing it like this for 10 years. I went for it. LOL. Heck I might even

add 2Oz of motor kote in the cocktail mix :D next time.

Is this Rotella 15W40 like for big trucks?

From WikipediA

Motorcycle usage

Though marketed as an engine oil for diesel trucks, Rotella oil has found popularity with motorcyclists as well. The lack of "friction modifiers" in Rotella means they do not interfere with wet clutch operations. (This is called a "shared sump" design, which is unlike automobiles which maintain separate oil reservoirs - one for the engine and one for the transmission). Used oil analysis (UOA) reports on BobIsTheOilGuy.com have shown wear metals levels comparable to oils marketed as motorcycle-specific.

JASO-MA

JASO is an acronym that stands for "The Japanese Automotive Standards Organization." Among other things, they set standards for oil to be used in motorcycles.

Shell Rotella T 15W-40 conventional oil now lists on its packaging JASO MA as one of the specifications it meets, as does the Rotella website product page:

Note that the 10W-30 conventional oil does not list JASO-MA.

The newer fully synthetic T6 5W-40 oil also lists JASO-MA compliance on its packaging and on the Rotella website.

I noticed that when I switched from dino oil to amsoil synthetic the noise did get louder as well as the ticking from the valve train so I have been considering going back to dino oil, for awhile now.

I went back to Rotella from Amsoil, and I am a much happier biker!