IGNORED

Dropped the bike

tufftom4

Ya, I dropped mine in the garage when I first got it. I'm kind of a light weight, and so as I tried to move it forward with the side kick stand still down thinking that it would prevent it from going down just in case for, I wasn't used to man handling an 800lb beast after not riding 27 years. Well the side kick stand must have just brushed the cement floor and slightly brought the stand back the threshold point. When I let the VR go to the side stand, woooo, it’s going down. I was just also about 5 months from recovering from open heart surgery and I wasn’t about to try to stop it. I just let it go.

I’ve heard about the butt and leg method of uping a down bike but I wasn’t going to try that either. So I got my come-a-long and hooked it to the pick up frame, put the VR in rear and brought it up that way. I should have taken a picture of it like you.

Your posting reminded me to try the butt and leg method on carpet just incase.

Thanks for posting.

I was trying to maneuver the bike in the front yard to put on the trailer and I dropped it, nothing happened to the bike but I had to call for help. I finally got it loaded and ready for my week in Hollywood Florida.

It was just protesting being put on a trailer!!! :stickpoke::stickpoke::stickpoke::stickpoke::stirthepot::stirthepot::rasberry::rasberry::rasberry:

I used the technique on hubby's bike last yr. Long story short we were headed to the Vogel Rally in NE GA and planned to stop at his parents a few days before the registration. We were headed up the one lane road Mike's parents live on abt 2pm. I was about to mention should we call and verify his Dad isn't coming down the driveway in his Avalanche. Now at this point Mike's very tired and trying to not panic as he sees the huge SUV barrelling at him. So he attempts to pull into a red clay and gravel driveway when his suzuki volusia intruder stalls and over we go lol. His Dad gets out of the Avalanche and both of them try to get the bike righted. I make em both back up and use the walking method and up she went. Bike wasn't damaged, but Mike's pride was hurt as it has been his one and only drop to date, and was right in front of his Dad.

Ever notice how gravel and dropped bikes seem to go together? Several years ago, I dropped my Triumph at the bottom of a short parking lot ramp with gravel at the bottom of it. There was a traffic light a couple of hundred feet to the left and some yahoo decided to try to make the amber light ... it was red by the time he reached the intersection and was really moving as he came towards the entrance I was trying to use. I hit the brakes just as my front wheel reached the gravel...the wheel locked and down I went (As the moron flew by at what I estimate was 80 to 90 kph (50 to 55 mph). I used the butt and leg method to get it up and it worked quite well. A year and a half ago, I was on my 1st gen in a more or less paved parking lot when some genius decided to park 2 or 3 feet from the bike. I had just bought the bike to restore (It was in decent shape already) so I wasn't too used to it. As I cranked the bars to the left and tried to "walk" it out I backed off the gas as I reached some gravel and had to touch the brake. Bad idea...down I went. I tried the butt method but no way! I haven't got that kind of strength! Fortunately, a fellow biker (In a cage that time) stopped and gave me a hand. No damage to the bike but my pride took a pretty good shot. Fortunately, the guy mentioned he'd done the same thing with a touring rig that he had. "Sure are top heavy, aren't they?" he said. "Hell yes!" said I and thanked him.

Andy

I was trying to maneuver the bike in the front yard to put on the trailer and I dropped it, nothing happened to the bike but I had to call for help. I finally got it loaded and ready for my week in Hollywood Florida.

and are you here yet?

Not as embarrassing as what I did today. Riding on a back road and the pavement ended, well instead of turning around on the pavement I swung on to the sandy road and sunk up to my axles in sand, my wife had to get off and I had to stand off the seat to get it out.