IGNORED

I ran a crotch rocket off the road today

painterman67

bottom line is be carefull out there. Today i was in my work van( e250) and I ran a rider on a crotch rocket off the road. Never seen him untill I was already in his lane. Since I ride I tend to look and still never seen him till it was too late.

I was traveling in the right lane running 50 mph in a 45when I needed to change to the left as that lane turns into a right turn only at the next light. I looked , seen nothing and changed lanes and thats when I heard his horn. I pulled back into right lane as quick as possible . The only glimps I seen of this guy was that he was on one wheel as he was trying to go by me. The rear wheel at 65 plus according to him. After he cussed me and informed me that I should have seen his hid headlight he recently installed I informed him its kinda hard to see a headlight when its pointed at the sky. He finally admitted to me he was playing and doing a wheely at that speed .

I finally got him to calm down after I did say that he must be a hell of a rider as I have no idea how he got it back down on 2 wheels , put it in the gravel edge of the road and managed to keep it up. We parted ways shaking hands and both agreeing to be a little more carefull.

In the end no one was hurt and no damage to either vehicle lbut damn that scared us both as that truck weighs 6000 lbs empty and who knows what could have happend.

be safe out there weather in a cage or on your bike.

Later all

David

I see that all the time on I-80 going through Omaha in traffic. I had one pass me doing a wheelie in my lane when I was on my bike last year in traffic on I-80.

At least it sounds like your squib saw light. If not, you'll be seeing him in the obits later on.

When I was kid, we had a bully on the block. He got great joy from riding his Stingray bike on the back wheel and buzzing us as close has he could. I got clipped a few times. I ended up leveling the playing field by shoving a broom stick through his back spokes one day.

He got the picture real fast. I get the same urge now and then around some of these jokers.

But I'm mature and responsible now. :crackup:

David, you handled that well. Much better then I would have handled it, especially after he had the nerve to get mad at you. You did everything you could to drive safe. He did everything he could to ride dangerously. You cannot be responsible for the actions of another if that person pushed the limits. Doing a wheelie on a roadway in traffic, well, that just made him wrong for all reasons. Glad you two walked away without any injuries. Maybe that moron will think twice before pulling a stunt like that but me thinks that wont be the case........

About a year and a half ago my wife and I were driving through Dallas/Ft Worth on the way to welcome my Lil Hero Daughter back from the sand pit. About 10 PM and we were all of a sudden passed by 10-15 crotch rockets blasting from out of nowhere. We were doing 70mph and they passed up like we were standing still.:shock3:

I knew where there is one, there are more. I held my line and my lane and sure enough another 10 or so came flying by at different intervals at a very high speed. I was just waiting for somebody in a cage to freak and change lanes unexpectedly. Luckily no one did, but man I thought for sure something would happen. :confused24:

A lot of the crotch rocket crowd is just too dang crazy. That is why I bought the 87 for my son. I told him he could ride with me, not race like crazy on a ride.

David, you handled that well. Much better then I would have handled it, especially after he had the nerve to get mad at you. You did everything you could to drive safe. He did everything he could to ride dangerously. You cannot be responsible for the actions of another if that person pushed the limits. Doing a wheelie on a roadway in traffic, well, that just made him wrong for all reasons. Glad you two walked away without any injuries. Maybe that moron will think twice before pulling a stunt like that but me thinks that wont be the case........

Ruffy said it the exact way I would have. I guess that is why I am just not a great supporter of some crouch rocket riders. You know the ones who do not use good sense when riding and tend to break all the rules.

Glad it worked out the way it did.

Yama Mama

Glad your "incident" was not more serious, just keep in mind that his actions were the main contributing factors to this. When I was young and dumb my buddy and I both bought brand new 1970 Honda CB 750's. We were doing things on the street that were insanely stupid. Going into 1971 we bought a third one and took our stupidity to the drag strips, at least there we had only ourselves to blame if something bad occured. You can only do so much to try to make up for someone else's mistakes.

Glad your "incident" was not more serious, just keep in mind that his actions were the main contributing factors to this. When I was young and dumb my buddy and I both bought brand new 1970 Honda CB 750's. We were doing things on the street that were insanely stupid. Going into 1971 we bought a third one and took our stupidity to the drag strips, at least there we had only ourselves to blame if something bad occured. You can only do so much to try to make up for someone else's mistakes.
im glad they did'nt have sport bikes when i was young. i would probably be dead. these kids are just like alot of us when we were young. they just have better equipment. problem is there is alot more traffic now. snarley bill

About a year and a half ago my wife and I were driving through Dallas/Ft Worth on the way to welcome my Lil Hero Daughter back from the sand pit. About 10 PM and we were all of a sudden passed by 10-15 crotch rockets blasting from out of nowhere. We were doing 70mph and they passed up like we were standing still.:shock3:

I knew where there is one, there are more. I held my line and my lane and sure enough another 10 or so came flying by at different intervals at a very high speed. I was just waiting for somebody in a cage to freak and change lanes unexpectedly. Luckily no one did, but man I thought for sure something would happen. :confused24:

A lot of the crotch rocket crowd is just too dang crazy. That is why I bought the 87 for my son. I told him he could ride with me, not race like crazy on a ride.

My other bike is a 'crotch rocket'. I would like to point out that the bike is not at fault. The rider is. The majority of riders on sport bikes are very young and, frankly, dumb. I believe these types of stories are more accurately stated as 'a bunch of young guys on crotch rockets'. BTW, the same can be said about Harley riders. Most Harley riders are older and slower. The bike is not at fault.

:biker:

Riding like that on the street is one thing but doing it when there are other vehicles around just shows total disregard for OTHER peoples safety, not just their own.

Some of these wingnuts may be very good riders but I doubt they realize how little it would take to put them down permanently!

That said, I'm sure we've all seen riders of all kinds of bikes do equally stupid things!

That's my :2cents:

I used to ride a crotch rocket (RZ350L - don't let the size fool you) but I had already learned by then that extreme stupidity on the street can put you in a grave really fast. So I went road racing for my thrills and went fast but carefully on the street. This guy was a just a plain moron and the south end of a north facing horse. You handled the situation quite well...I probably would have explained to him how foolish his actions were after knocking him flat!

They're expected to be stupid when they are young but they shouldn't abuse the privilege.

Andy

Too many times these young riders come from families where no one else rides. They ride with their friends and today everyone thinks stuntin' is cool.When i used to sell bikes I was shocked at how many parents came in and plunked down money on a cutting edge 600 sport bike for a kid that had only riden dirt bikes off road a couple of year. Parents didn"t ride and thought a 600 was a "safe" little sport bike.

I helped my kids buy bikes but told them the first bike won't be a sport bike. Start with a standard or cruiser and work your way up to it.

Around here I hear of a lot more cruiser riders getting killed late at night because they were riding drunk than crotch rocket riders causing problems. That being said a friend of mines teenager was pulling a wheelie on our main drag and a lady pulled out. He brought it down to fast and crashed and slid into her and was killed. They sued but I never agreed with it because a bike pointed up in the air is not near as recognizable as one in a normal riding position. He was also going about 90 in a 35.

Agree 100% my friend. And he really had no reason to get smart mouth with David. Glad David handled it. I might have done something else, hope not , but might have. Moron is right. Snaggletooth probably got it right, he needs a broom handle in his spokes.:whistling::clap2:

As for me I openly admit I didnt see him. He readily admitted he was wrong too. But I still feel like I should have seen him. Im kinda paranoid about seeing a rider or being seen when Im riding. His attitude was no worse than mune when I was that age and the older i get the more I realise I still have some work to do on my temper. To say the least this was an excercise in my anger management.

David

As for me I openly admit I didnt see him. He readily admitted he was wrong too. But I still feel like I should have seen him. Im kinda paranoid about seeing a rider or being seen when Im riding. His attitude was no worse than mune when I was that age and the older i get the more I realise I still have some work to do on my temper. To say the least this was an excercise in my anger management.

David

Yes you may be right David. But if he was running that kind of speed, you did not have time to see him. I can see it in my mind, because I have been there and done that in a tandem axle dump truck. You did well by getting out of the errant idiot's way and saving his life.

Fuzzy

• 2 weeks later...

What's the old saying "You can't cure stupid"

The worst part of all of this discussion is that Ma and Pa Jones see a rider on the back wheel or doing other stupid stuff and it gives all of us a black eye! So the next time the legislature wants to pass yet another restrictive motorcycle law all The Jones want to do is vote yes to restrict the hoodlums that ride motorcycles.

David good for you! I don't think I would have been as understanding as you.

:stirthepot:

bottom line is be carefull out there. Today i was in my work van( e250) and I ran a rider on a crotch rocket off the road. Never seen him untill I was already in his lane. Since I ride I tend to look and still never seen him till it was too late.

I was traveling in the right lane running 50 mph in a 45when I needed to change to the left as that lane turns into a right turn only at the next light. I looked , seen nothing and changed lanes and thats when I heard his horn. I pulled back into right lane as quick as possible . The only glimps I seen of this guy was that he was on one wheel as he was trying to go by me. The rear wheel at 65 plus according to him. After he cussed me and informed me that I should have seen his hid headlight he recently installed I informed him its kinda hard to see a headlight when its pointed at the sky. He finally admitted to me he was playing and doing a wheely at that speed .

LOL! This part made me laugh really hard. You couldn't see him because his HID headlight was pointed at he sky. Glad that the outcome was good for you both. I would still feel partially responible in this situation even if he had been doing something stupid. I'll bet your heart got a good workout!

:rotf: