IGNORED

Time to purchase another helmet.

muaymendez1

I have to replace my winter helmet and I think I want to get another modular.Any cons to some of the helmets that some have used.ease of one hand operation.etc.

I love the modular and also love my tinted inner visor, just move a lever and instant shades.lol

Im looking to spend under $250 us

To amplify your post, I am in the market for a new helmet as well, and have been thinking of a modular (since I can't find the police helmet I wanted :( ). In Texas, air flow is important. Which modulars have worked well in hot climes?

Dave

I liked the HJC Symax.I have had a series 1 and a series 2.The 2 had the flip down dark second shield. That helmet saved my life when I went down in June. I replaced it with an HJC CL Max. It does not have the second dark shield but I find it a little more comfortable and it was a little cheaper.

HJC is now going to a series 3 Symax so maybe you can find a good deal on a left over series 2. I have bought from MotorcycleGear back in the day when they were NewEnough and was very happy with their service.Jake Wilson is almost in my backyard so I have bought alot thru them also and been very happy.

I've always been a fan of HJC and own three of their helmets. The last one purchased was a modular SyMax II. I was very happy with it for fit and comfort and the flip up chin. In less than a year the chin release started acting up and then failed to release.

I contacted MotorcycleGear.com and even though it was just past warranty at that time they issued a code to return the helmet for repairs or replacement. Kudos to them as it turned out it was known and common issue with that model.

http://www.webbikeworld.com/motorcycle-helmets/hjc-sy-max-2-flip-up-failure/

But the issue was the plastic pivot bosses had broken away from the inner frame, not the cables as had been suggested. That gave me reason to reconsider the idea of a modular helmet. I suppose with a higher grade helmet that may never occur but I think my next helmet will be a full face.

I want to feel a little more comfortable with the idea my face is going to stay protected when I get around to doing my face plant on the concrete.

Something to consider in your choice.

Mike

Edited by Snaggletooth

I was looking too as my around town helmet took some road rash when my bike and I did the asphalt slide back in October. I was thinking about the HJC modular with the internal sun visor, but the reports of the broken pins on the chin piece were holding me back. i am going to do some more reading but will probably end up going that route through Motorcyclegear.com

My full face HJC is the coolest helmet Ive ever used, and on cooler mornings I have to close vents. Its actually cooler than my 3/4 helmet in the hot days.

brian

I will second the Shark Evoline. I wanted an open face for hot days, but in the evening, when bugs came out....wanted a shield, but didn't want to stop, and what about when rain came up? The Evoline is the only, repeat the ONLY one out there that will give you just about every option, and although the lawyers have put the caution about doing it, you CAN change from chin bar down to up, and from up to down with one hand while riding. The only thing it is missing is a visor to help block low (on the horizon) sunlight. But I put a strip of dark tint near the top 1" or so of the visor, and that works pretty well. May wife and I both have them, and they are holding up well.

They are a bit heavy, but you get used to that. Maybe a touch over your $250 price point, but IMO well worth it. It is the only helmet I use now, year round.

I've owned several in your suggested price range.

Scorpion Exo900, painful on my forehead. HJC, no thanks, same thing. Bell Revolver, cheap.

Wife and I both have these now.

http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/1/1/38/36650/ITEM/GMax-GM54S-Modular-Street-Helmet.aspx

Incredible air flow, for real. I've never been able to tell I even had helmet vents on other modulars. Removable, washable insides and tinted inner visor. A really nice modular for a budget price. I've worn it all day without forehead pain.

Wife and I both have the HJC modular with sun visors. We consider them our "touring helmets" as we also have our Scala rider blue tooth intercom on mounted on them . We have HJC full face for every day use.

I am as much about pricing as anyone but I do prefer to buy gear like helmets and gloves local. We have had a few local dealers close up just like I see south of me. I believe we need to help them stay in business. Yup the online stuff will keep your local guys honest but we need to support them for the long haul, even if it costs me $10.00. :mo money: :mo money: :mo money::mo money:

For what it's worth I'm a Nolan fan. I bought the first helmet new off an Ebay vendor. Since then I've picked up several, the latest a N-Com 103N complete with the bluetooth headset. It was like new, used once, and in my size and matching bike color, with a $75 dollar BIN. Well Duh!! :) Just the headset and bluetooth run $350. I guess I have 5 of them right now... it's as bad as the Ventures.... :whistling: Need to get rid of a couple on Craigslist.

I've had my HJC SY-MAX ll for two years now and still love it. Not one issue with the release, air vents work well, love the visor, easy to clean with the snap out washable liner, easily added my head set, one hand operation.... the only issue, which is one I can live with, is the wind noise. I might add however, that it is no louder than any other helmet that I have used, just wish someone could make a quieter helmet.:080402gudl_prv:

I've owned several in your suggested price range.

Scorpion Exo900, painful on my forehead. HJC, no thanks, same thing. Bell Revolver, cheap.

Wife and I both have these now.

http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/1/1/38/36650/ITEM/GMax-GM54S-Modular-Street-Helmet.aspx

Incredible air flow, for real. I've never been able to tell I even had helmet vents on other modulars. Removable, washable insides and tinted inner visor. A really nice modular for a budget price. I've worn it all day without forehead pain.

I've been looking at this helmet for some time now. Just haven't got up the nerve to pull the trigger yet. I've been using a Vega Summit II for about 4 years in the winter. It's given me good service but it's about time to change. It's getting a little ratty. My only complaint with it is it rattles a good bit from the top air vents. As far as air flow, it has great ventilation in the summer. I keep everything taped up during the winter because the air flow will freeze the top of your head. Most of the time when the weather warms up I just put on my shortie GMAX 35x and go.

I've been looking at this helmet for some time now
Pretty sure you'd never regret it. I consider it the sleeper in the modular helmet world.

My wifes mom is a cancer survivor. My wife got the "Pink Ribbon Rider" edition of this Gmax helmet. Very cool graphics, she loves it.

One of the things you might want to do is check out a few helmet tests done by some of the tech labs for MC Magazines. When looking I found a few very informative articles posted on the web. At the time the Nolan wasn't the best but did rate high in the groups and it was in a price range I could afford. That's why I went with it. I also bought an 'el cheepo' modular for the kids. The face release broke after only a few times of use because I found it was linked to the latches by string when I tore into it. It would no longer open. I threw it out. I can only imagine what would have happened if it had busted while being worn.... I know we all like to shop and save money, but some of these economy helmets might not be all they're cracked up to be.... Be carefull....

I agree with Condor, I am on my second Nolan and have had extremely good experience with it. The easy locking clip as well as the dual trip release make it easy to use and very safe. Both of mine have the older external drop sun visor however the latest have that internally which I like better. All the test I have read rate the nolan well, though I have never utilized the comm option the rest of the features, including ventilation work well. These are a tad bit higher priced than the HJC and others but I sort of live by the motto, "If you have a nickle head put it in a nickle helmet".

Happy helmet hunting!

Norm

:322:

I have to replace my winter helmet and I think I want to get another modular.Any cons to some of the helmets that some have used.ease of one hand operation.etc.

I love the modular and also love my tinted inner visor, just move a lever and instant shades.lol

I have a new Nolan N90 and am VERY satisfied with it. The newer flip fronts are much improved over what was available a few years ago. I personnally like metal latches and pins on my flip fronts---seems more solid than the plastic some use.

I have a Vega Summit II, and it's just fine.

The Summit III has an internal sun visor, and it's the right price.

Some think you get what you pay for. I say get what fits!

for what it's worth, i know that the modular helmets are DOT certified but not SNELL certified. i thought about getting one of those and than i thought about the reasons why i would buy one.her are some of the reasons i came up with, cooler,more aces if my face gets itchy, less fogging and so that i could open it up and take a drink. than i thought,riding a bike and drinking,not to safe. i know theres people that do it all the time and have no problems, i just don't want to ad the the problems i already have out here.if i get that thirsty and can stop and take out my water bottle. so after me thinking i thought the safety over rule the convenience. just my over view.