IGNORED

Whitewall VS. Blackwall?

Bobby G

I'm getting new rubber soon (just hit 18K on the front and 13K on the rear) and am considering going whitewall on the '99 RSV. I have the green/grey paint scheme, and have always just had blackwalls, but I am curious as to how the RSV looks with both wide and/or thin whitewall's on them.

If you have pics of your RSV with a whitewall tire, please post so I can get a feel for how it looks. Don't care about the brand of tire (God knows we don't need THAT discussion again!), but just how it looks vs. a blackwall.

Thanks!

:worthless:

:thumbsup:

Well darn this worthless thread..............NO pics, LOL.... when I read a similar thread on the silver '99 RSV, the WWW absatively/ posilutely look much sharper vs. regular ol black walls.... I only wish I had a pic to show ya my WWW..... LOL I have an '84 that I'm probably goin to get ww's when I go for tires., They seem to be available in the most popular brands.....that was my .02 fwiw

I had white walls on my 1100 beige/burgandy vstar and on my black 650 , they looked great on both but as noted here, it's personal taste.

Only pic I could find of one of them: Nova%2520Scotia%2520June%252008%2520366.jpg

However i wanted to chime in and state that's maintenance on white walls is a must if you want them to remain white and the back wheel of our rsv's is not so easy to get to. Even on a jack, your on your back with just a small section of the wheel easily accessesed at a time. I didn't put them on my midnight rsv for that reason.

Skid gets after me enough for not keeping the white letters shined up!! And you want whitewalls???:whistling::rotfl::rotfl:

The wife's Softail looks awesome with whitewalls, but yes, they are a pain to keep really clean. There are some very good products out there to help do that, but in the end, it's just about keeping up with it on a regular basis, which we do.

More pics please!!!!!!:cool10:

Go to classifieds, I have my 99 posted for sale, it is shown with white walls. Just wondering how is it you have a 99 that is green?? i thought silver and gray and maroon an gray was the only colors on the 99's??:think:

I put the WWW on my red '09 RSTD. I love the look too much to go back. Don't buy into the FUD about not being able to clean them, I use a new brillo pad and it works great.

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7171/6721203905_9b0fdb8316_b.jpg

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7028/6749234957_1f4368bd98_b.jpg

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7174/6719313865_8a3f9704ba_b.jpg

Edited by sadicarnot

I have the WWW's on my 08 RSTD. I like the look much better on the bike. Biggest problem is the availability. Not many choices for the WWW. As far as cleanup, I read on here somewhere to use Goop hand cleaner on the sidewalls only. Make sure not to use on the the tire surface that contacts the road. I use a paper towel to wipe it on, and a garden hose to wash it off. Works great and is easy. It seems to last quite awhile as well. This pic was taken after a wash job, plus I have to ride a little gravel and tires really show it. The Goop also makes the black shine like new as well.

I have the WWW's on my 08 RSTD. I like the look much better on the bike. Biggest problem is the availability. Not many choices for the WWW. As far as cleanup, I read on here somewhere to use Goop hand cleaner on the sidewalls only. Make sure not to use on the the tire surface that contacts the road. I use a paper towel to wipe it on, and a garden hose to wash it off. Works great and is easy. It seems to last quite awhile as well. This pic was taken after a wash job, plus I have to ride a little gravel and tires really show it. The Goop also makes the black shine like new as well.

They look nice on blue

All the rest are the wrong color. Here's a pic of a '99 silver with whites.... Can't get much better than that..

Those are my colors. Looks very nice with the WWW's.

Thanks for all the pics guys. Once again, y'all come through!

I loved the white walls on my 08 RSTD.Check the albums here for a picture.There is a product called Bleche White that will clean your WWW. You can find it at Autozone or O'Riely's etc Also if you can find an Amway dealer get some LOC as that will clean them also .

Personally, I don't like whitewalls.

I just stole this photo of the 99 off of octoberboy's thread "We've been Ventured"

This is what yours should look like.

I'm liking it! Looks great with the WWW's. Probably gonna go that route, either with the 880's if they come in a WW, or the E3's.

Thanks for posting the pic.

love the 06 Gary n, however there's more than just the white wall tire on the after pic,a few things i saw were,road lights,visors,exuasht tips,saddel bag gaurds,back rest,stebel horn,carb covers,passangers floor boards,luggage rack,front fender rail and i'm sure i missed a few things but it do look alot nicer now.

After reading a lot of the old tire threads on our site, browsing the internet, reading customer reviews, I really wanted to go with the E3's. However there was just something very wrong about putting black walls on the '99. Sorry to all you black wall guys and ladies but they were just plain 'blah' for me. It just looks so nice the way I bought it from Steamer.

Given that I searched high and low and the only WWW's I could find were the Dunlop D404's. Maxxis is history. The Exedra's look to be going bye-bye and are getting replaced by Exedra Max's, but no more white. Wasn't comfortable with the 130 Avon's on the front. Maybe next time after I get some RSV miles under me. Hello D404's.

A lot of people still run the 404 and some do so because of the whitewall. It's really not a bad tire. Won't last as many miles as an E3 or Avon but I thought the performance was fine.

I don't know what you mean though about Maxxis being history. They appear to still be around.

They are around but my understanding is they are getting away from street bikes and focusing on dirt bikes. At least two the internet sites had messages that they weren't available any more. I called the motorcycle-superstore and stopped by a local Yami dealer and both mentioned Maxxis was getting away from street bikes.