IGNORED

Auxiliary brake light wiring

I am installing an LED brake light I have laying around from another project. It fits the Midnight like it was made for it! got lucky there.

Where is an easy place to splice into the brake light circuit without a lot of trauma to the wiring harness? I started taking the seats off, looking for whatever I might find, then remembered about this forum. I did some searching, but mostly the results were about lights that also had turn signals. I just need the brake light wire.

Thanks, Bert

The light came from Autozone, I think, maybe 10 years ago. It hung in the back window of my '68 Ford LTD for a few years, but I couldn't keep it tight with the supplied bracketry, without drilling holes in my sweet old car. So, the light has been languishing, waiting for an RSV to come along, since it seems to have been made for it.

Thanks again, Playboy, for the quick response.

Awesome light wish you had a part number for that did you make the mounting brackets. Don't suppose it works as a running light too.

:thumbsup2: Your welcome just trying to pay it forward for all the help I have gotten hear.

Yes, just a couple little pieces of flat stock mounted under the helmet locks, then a couple little nylon bushings to make up the difference. And yes, it is only a brake light. No running light capability. I'm sure there are a lot of similar items out there. I think this was marketed as a "third" brake light for cars. I'd been walking around calling it that when my smart ass kid informed me that "Technically, it's a second brake light". heh heh heh.

I just did a quick ebay motors search for "LED third brake light, and there is a TON. This is the one that most closely resembles mine, except for some minor differences. Same dimensions:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/29-LED-Car-Auto-Pickup-SUV-Truck-Van-Universal-3rd-Third-Brake-Tail-Light-/150765240410?hash=item231a4f005a&item=150765240410&pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&vxp=mtr#ht_3607wt_786

Good luck.

You can use one of these from Chrome Glow to convert a single intensity LED system to a dual intensity system.

http://www.chromeglow.com/catalog.asp?prodid=520657

Thanks for finding this. I picked up one of the VentureLine trunk wing/LEDs and it came with a 2 into one pos wire. Couldn't figure out why?? It must have duel intensity LED's... Cool!!..... :thumbsup2:

Those are the same as many of us have used, can be purchased from Signal Dynamics for between $25.00 and $35.00 depending on red or clear lens.

OK, here are the instructions to with the diagram that I posted above.

From Radio Shack you will need;

1 pack of diodes P/N 276-1661 (4 pack) $2.69

1 pack of 330 ohm resistors P/N 271-1113 (5 pack) $1.19

You will also need some wire #16 or 18 AWG (Preferably at least 2 colors) and some heat shrink tubing.

This is enough parts to make 2 assemblies.

Take 2 of the diodes and notice that one end is marked with a colored band.

Twist the leads of both colored ends together and solder.

Add a piece of wire to this twisted end and solder.

Twist one lead of a resistor to the free end of one of the diodes and solder.

Attach a wire to the other lead of the resistor and solder.

Attach a different color of wire to the free end of the remaining diode and solder.

Slide a piece of heat shrink over the resistor and diode long enough to cover the solder joints.

Slide a piece of heat shrink over the other diode and its solder joints.

Shrink both of these down.

Slide another piece of heat shrink over the remaining wire connection and overlap the now covered diodes and resistor and shrink down.

You now have the same thing that you can buy already done.

The end with the single wire goes to the positive lead of the LED brake light.

The lead with the resistor goes to the running lights circuit.

The lead with just a diode (the one you put a different color wire on) goes to the brake light circuit.

The negative side of the LED brake light goes to ground just like normal.

SEE, Be careful what you ask for.........:whistling:

OK, here are the instructions to with the diagram that I posted above.

From Radio Shack you will need;

1 pack of diodes P/N 276-1661 (4 pack) $2.69

1 pack of 330 ohm resistors P/N 271-1113 (5 pack) $1.19

You will also need some wire #16 or 18 AWG (Preferably at least 2 colors) and some heat shrink tubing.

This is enough parts to make 2 assemblies.

Take 2 of the diodes and notice that one end is marked with a colored band.

Twist the leads of both colored ends together and solder.

Add a piece of wire to this twisted end and solder.

Twist one lead of a resistor to the free end of one of the diodes and solder.

Attach a wire to the other lead of the resistor and solder.

Attach a different color of wire to the free end of the remaining diode and solder.

Slide a piece of heat shrink over the resistor and diode long enough to cover the solder joints.

Slide a piece of heat shrink over the other diode and its solder joints.

Shrink both of these down.

Slide another piece of heat shrink over the remaining wire connection and overlap the now covered diodes and resistor and shrink down.

You now have the same thing that you can buy already done.

The end with the single wire goes to the positive lead of the LED brake light.

The lead with the resistor goes to the running lights circuit.

The lead with just a diode (the one you put a different color wire on) goes to the brake light circuit.

The negative side of the LED brake light goes to ground just like normal.

SEE, Be careful what you ask for.........:whistling:

Ok got my brain wrapped around how to do this now but a couple questions.

How many lights could this handle ?

Could this also be used for side marker lights on a 4 wire trailer using two of them giving you side marker turning signals and brake lights can't figure out how to take the brake light out of the equation.

haven't seen any small led marker lights with dual elements.

in case anyone is interested, I have started to make and sell a patch harness that goes between the two connectors for the tail light harness where they connect under the seat. This will alow you to tap into the circuits without acually having to cut into the original bike harness, because you tap into the patch harness instead.

See my listing in the clasified section.

A 6", 8", 10" or 12" harness is $4.50 plus shipping from Edgewater, FL.