IGNORED

1999 to current changes

Hi all, I'm posting this question because I haven't been able to find a previous discussion on the matter, but can't believe there hasent been one. So redirect if such a discussion exists.

I'm trying to find out, outside of color changes, what changes if any have occured for the Royal Venture from 1999 to the current 2012. I understand there was a seat change in 2001. Is there a tech bulletin that describes all the minor changes throught those years?

Thanks!

This has been discussed numerous times over the years, but no real major threads 'cause there just have not been any significant changes to speak of. I suppose I should go ahead and document them in the tech library, but we'll just start here.

I'm not sure if I will remember them all right off the bat, so I hope others will chime in.

As I said, there haven't been any really significant changes - certainly no design changes other than cosmetic.

• 1999 and 2000 models (not sure of the exact cutoff point) had a problem with trunk bottom cracks - there was a recall to fix it with added reinforcement plates. All later bikes have had those plates.
  • 1999 models had a problem with breaking antenna bases - all newer models have used the upgraded antennas.
  • The owner's manuals have changed every year - most changes were not significant, but 1999-2003 models specified 8,000 mile basic service intervals. Starting in either 2004 or 2005, all manuals have specified 4,000 mile intervals.
  • Starting with 2005 (?) all non-midnight RSVs began getting pillow-top seats.
  • ALL years have had a problem with failing rear shocks. In 2005 they added a vent hose to the shock - it did not significantly change the problem, but all bikes now use the newer shock.
  • Starting with 2005 (?) the turn signal lenses changed to clear and the bulbs yellow. In addition, they started using a proprietary 3-prong bulb in the front signals. See discussions on the forum for how to just knock off one prong of the normal 1157 bulb so you do not have to waste money on the new ones.
  • Starting with 2006, each year has gotten a different tank badge.
  • Starting in 2009 (I think), Yamahaha started making the ridiculously priced and space hogging optional CD changer stock, meaning they bike came with the cables already in place. I suspect they only did this 'cause they probably never sold more than two or three as an option, and they just wanted to clear them out of the warehouse. Also a ruse to raise the price a bit - cant sell the option? - just make them buy it with the bike!

There have been some minor carb changes I think, indicated only by changing part numbers. I have never seen the changes documented.

That is all I can think of for now.

ALL newer parts that may have been upgraded/modified over the years are applicable to any year RSV (or 2005 and later RSTD, as appropriate).

Goose

...Starting in 2009 (I think), Yamahaha started making the ridiculously priced and space hogging optional CD changer stock

Good write up Goose !

As for cd-changer.... think in 2011/2012 they started sending a Yamaha labelled iPod and adapter instead of the cd-changer. Uses the cbus connector in the saddle bag for the interface.

Not sure exactly the years but hte early ones had silver cylinder fins and the later years had black fins with polished tips. Also not sure about this one but my 2005 RSV has chrome on the brake and clutch lever mounts but my 2003 is like a clear coated alluminum. Maybe someone can reflect on this one. Also my 2005 midnight has a slight metallic flake in the paint but my 2003 is a straight gloss black.:confused24:

Not sure exactly the years but hte early ones had silver cylinder fins and the later years had black fins with polished tips. Also not sure about this one but my 2005 RSV has chrome on the brake and clutch lever mounts but my 2003 is like a clear coated alluminum. Maybe someone can reflect on this one. Also my 2005 midnight has a slight metallic flake in the paint but my 2003 is a straight gloss black.:confused24:

99 to 2003 base models had silver fins/mounts and midnights were black

2004 to present are all black on all models. i've diamond cut them all!

99 to 2003 base models had silver fins/mounts and midnights were black

2004 to present are all black on all models. i've diamond cut them all!

What about the paint on the midnight on the tins? Is this correct my 05 having metal flake and my 03 not?

What about the paint on the midnight on the tins? Is this correct my 05 having metal flake and my 03 not?

yes the 05 has more flake than the 03 and the newer models of midnight and tour deluxe two tones have even more flake in the paint

Thanx to all who have added points of difference - these are all good, and I will eventually incorporate them into a definitive list. I do not think we are interested in the different paint colors, as that is already well documented, but different things being painted, such as the cylinder fins, is significant. I will also try to research which specific years and models had black wheels vs gray.

You can help out by adding what color your wheels are. My 05 Silver has gray wheels, but I think my 07 Blue had black wheels.

Goose

Ignition switch problems also.

I seem to remember reading on this forum that there had been some changes made to the ignition switch (I would assume an upgrade) after the 2004 model year. Anyone know if this solved that particular problem? Also, didn't the '05 and up models have an improved stator that put out more power?

Andy

COLOR!!! PRICE!!! Every year they change the color and jack up the price (somebody's got to pay the storage fees on all those parts sitting in Japan since 1999 because they didn't advertise the bike enough to sell them. Now we have to wait until all the parts are gone before they make those changes we all desire. Thank goodness they started forcing the CD players on the new buyers else would have been waiting forever).

'05 Midnight and '06 Black Cherry both came with black wheels.

I don't think the turn signal bulb bases can fairly be called proprietary, more like hard to come by. The fronts use a BAZ15D-3 base while the rears use a BAU15s base. Info here. According to Wikipedia, Japan has adopted the ECE lighting regulations, with the BAZ15d and the BAU15s listed as Class 2 bulb bases. The Custom Dynamics site indicates that these bulbs are used on new Yamaha, Honda, and Suzuki bikes.

I'm not really sure what year they changed. I know the '06 has the new bases. I didn't have the '05 long enough to find out.

• 3 weeks later...

I believe that the black wheels are related to the base color of the bike; therefore, all midnights should have black wheels, and any two-tone with black as one color should be black. Silver or similar light colors like 99 and 05 have gray wheels. I do not know yet what color wheels on MM, 03, etc. One of these days I'll dig into all the pictures and check.

Goose

I believe Black and "S" models had black wheels.

Not sure when but the front brake and clutch handles were rounded and thought these were on the "S" Model only.

Had a 99 now a 08 and still never seen a power plug except for the front faiting. Thought there was one hiding some where near the seats.

Brad

Had a 99 now a 08 and still never seen a power plug except for the front faiting. Thought there was one hiding some where near the seats.

Brad

I added an accessory plug on the left side below the seats. There is already a hole there for an accessory plug (has a plastic cap on it). I ran power to it from a fuse block I added this winter rather than connect to the existing accessory power connector under the seat.