IGNORED

New project 87 royale-- run on question

Picked up new project a couple weeks ago a 87 Venture Royale. Was told it run a several months ago.

Carbs were partially broke down and in a box. Cleaned the carbs and adjusted the valves . Received the new diaphragms this afternoon and installed them and put the carbs back on the bike. Woo Hoo it started. :dancefool:

Started it several times and warmed it up. Turned it off at the switch and it kept running????? :think:

It did stop when I turned off the kill switch but lights and everything else stayed on. Anyway I played with it and some times it works fine and other times it stays on. Will even start in the key off position, can turn key through the acc position and it kept running. Got it to turn off again (kill switch and then turn the key off,) and did some other things and noticed that lights were on again. It then worked fine turned off with the key and sat fine for another couple of hours without doing anything.

Quit for the night without chasing it anymore. I would think it’s the ignition switch but is there anything else I should be looking at?

Working on some of the cracks and broken posts in the farings. The replacement post in the last picture is wood dowel some sanding and glued on using Rapid-Fix ( great stuff).

Here is a couple of pictures of the progress.

Thanks in advance for any ideas.

Just so you know, you have a 1st gen, and all they want to do is go, so get on it and ride. They're old enough that they don't care about their looks any more, so it's trying to tell you something.

Yep. my 1st guess is ignition switch, try spraying some WD 40 or Deep Creep into it, work it some, spray some more, and see what transpires. In the end I would finish with a good spraying of contact cleaner, and then a bit more WD.

I believe it is haunted!!! :stickpoke:

RandyA

Probably not the first Venture to have its owner following from the grave. I'm picking up an 86 whose owner died 3 years ago. And it was his 3 venture. Apparently he LOVED them. He and his wife took one to Alaska . I don't have a name yet though

Thanks for the comments.

I paid $450 for it. The dealership was going to part it out rather than fix it. The PO had turned it over to them instead of fixing it up. Spent another 85 on Diaphrams. I figured if I couldn't get it running I could part it out myself and get my money back.

I've also got an '83 venture and a '83 venture parts bike that help. :thumbsup2:

This is a great site and great people.

Thanks again.

I agree with Randy. Its probally haunted. I'll give you 10 bucks for it.....:whistling:

Try that suggestion on the switch. Pull it out and drown it in cleaner and work it good. Might drown that spook. If that don't do it I would go to fuse panel and clean good but be carefull. I'm sure you know how brittle those old fuse holders can be.

Hey Jerry,

WOW! That is a very nice VR you have there! And that was an excellent price you paid for it. The Elegant Brown/Birch Brown Color is quite rare because Yamaha released the 5th Year Anniversary Edition which was Gold and Cream. I have the same year bike, with just a few simple changes. I have a good ignition switch if it would help. I also offer the Fuse Box Upgrade Kit that would clean up the area under the false tank cover as well.

http://www.venturerider.org/classifieds/showproduct.php?product=3762&title=first-genfuse-box-upgrade-kit-21&cat=22

Plus a few other items to bring this great bike back to life.

http://www.venturerider.org/classifieds/showcat.php?cat=500&ppuser=4738

Great score Jerry, I hope you have many wonderful miles on that baby.:thumbsup2:

Earl

LEFT SIDE LOUVER.jpg

THanks for all the comments. Thought I'd give an update. The "red" and "yellow" wire going to the ignition switch had a short somewhere in it. After several hours and replacing the yellow wire and all of the 4 connections, things were working fine then we reinstalled the wire going to the rectifer back into the connector and the problem resurfaced. When looking closley at the connector my son saw that it looked like it had gotten hot at some time and the connections were shorting out inside the connector. Pulled the wire back out of the connector and spliced the wire and all is good. So hopefully we "Exorcised" the ghost in the machine. :dancefool:

Now working on the cracks and holes in the farings. Looks like PO had Baker wings and dropped it on both sides and ripped them out, leaving some big cracks and holes in the farings.

Sodered the CLASS system circut board and its working again.

glad to see another being brought back. Hey, those floor boards on the shifter side can cause issues. As the shifting shaft puts a lot of vertical force on the case and cases break at the hole where the shaft comes thru. !st lube the area with a spray grease. This never happens with the stock set up.

Hey Jerry,

WOW! That is a very nice VR you have there! And that was an excellent price you paid for it. The Elegant Brown/Birch Brown Color is quite rare because Yamaha released the 5th Year Anniversary Edition which was Gold and Cream. I have the same year bike, with just a few simple changes. I have a good ignition switch if it would help. I also offer the Fuse Box Upgrade Kit that would clean up the area under the false tank cover as well.

http://www.venturerider.org/classifieds/showproduct.php?product=3762&title=first-genfuse-box-upgrade-kit-21&cat=22

Plus a few other items to bring this great bike back to life.

http://www.venturerider.org/classifieds/showcat.php?cat=500&ppuser=4738

Great score Jerry, I hope you have many wonderful miles on that baby.:thumbsup2:

Earl

Skydoc do you know of a off the shelf paint that will match the colors on the bike. I have had a bit of faring holes and cracks that I'm repairing. I've looked at the duplicolor choices and haven't got close. I can have some custom paint made up but thought I check and see if you have already been down this road. See pic's of the damage below.

Jasonm, thanks for the warning on the heal toe shifter. I believe thats what happened to the parts bike I have, the case was broken where the shifter shaft goes through. I will make sure to shift lightly and I will lubricate it. Thanks.

Thanks again guys it great to have a source like this to ask questions and get quick responses.:thumbsup:

Yammer Dan, Think I'll hold out for alittle more. :big-grin-emoticon:

Besides where would you put it? I do have to admit this is the 6th bike in my work shop right now, getting crowded. Here is a picture of the rest of my running fleet. The blue 83 gold wing I just finished and giving it to my son. The burgman is my wife's ride. The 83 standard was last years project. Still chasing oil leak left rear of motor believe its coming from the drive shaft boot??? Thats what you get when you drive old bikes.

Jerry-

It's a beautiful bike you have.

Last year I had the privilege of reworking a bike for Alan (Quickstep) from Australia.

with the damage the picture shows, I'd slightly open the crack and with ABS glue, seal the crack. Then I would use fiberglass and strengthen the damaged area on the back side and filling in the missing area. Finally, I add some bondo on the front area and prep for paint.

On my '86, I was able to take the panel to the local auto paint company and they scanned the panel and provided matching paint.

Should turn out great!!

Dave

Jerry-

It's a beautiful bike you have.

Last year I had the privilege of reworking a bike for Alan (Quickstep) from Australia.

with the damage the picture shows, I'd slightly open the crack and with ABS glue, seal the crack. Then I would use fiberglass and strengthen the damaged area on the back side and filling in the missing area. Finally, I add some bondo on the front area and prep for paint.

On my '86, I was able to take the panel to the local auto paint company and they scanned the panel and provided matching paint.

Should turn out great!!

Dave

Thanks dave I have already glued and reinforced these areas with "Rapid fix" it's a two part system. You have a bottle with liquid like "super glue on steriods" the other bottle has a filler material. You wet the crack with the liquid and then squeeze in the power and another drop or two of the liquid and you have a very strong joint immediately. It can be sanded down. This is some great stuff. I even bonded wood to the plastic and I even replaced a tab on the upper faring by shaping another piece of plastic and gluing it in with the rapid fix.

Here are some pic's of the repaired sections and what the back side looks like where I used the rapid fix to repair and the last one is the complete tab I fabbed and I have not drilled hole in yet. This stuff creates a very strong joint.

Put the bondo on and did some sanding and quick primer. Still have some work to do on one of these areas ( still have slighht bump to level out).

Thanks for the encouragement.

I have that rapid fix...but under another name..."Cyberfix". When using the "fix"...let the glue(liquid) really get into the plastic. It really is just a type of super glue. Which softens the plastic. Then after 10 seconds sprinkle the powder. It's good...But I recommend Devcon Plastic Welder for the strongest bond. Devcon...you are making plastic that thermally bonds. And after 30 minutes @70F you can sand it. Plus during the curing time...0-15 minutes you can mold it with "plastic wrap". Then peel the plastic wrap off as the Devcon gets warm. Devcon can get HOT...the less air the hotter it gets. So when molding and wrapping it...be aware it can bubble if totally covered. As the Devcon will NOT stick to plastic wrap but can get hot enough to melt it..that's a BOND! Lastly it must be done in an open, vented area.