IGNORED

Someone stole the trailer

Condor

I had a 5x10 enclosed trailer stolen out of my driveway about 10 years ago. I called my insurance company (Farmers) and initially got a bit of a run-around. The guy tried to tell me if I did not have a dedicated policy, it wasn't covered. He got my file up on his screen, realized how much stuff I had at his agency and admitted that it would be covered under my home owner's policy (minus the deductible). He paid for the trailer and its contents (a pair of new 18" subwoofers still in their cartons).

I now use a lock on the tongue and a chain through one of the wheels.

:080402gudl_prv:

That would kind of tick me off a little,,,, 'specially seeing as it was a nice looking trailer. That's the problem with nice looking stuff, somebody else always seem to 'need' it more than the owner, so that's why I like a Saab, older Chevys and a 1st gen. Now don't going telling any body about my first gen.

My trailer is stood on end and then using the safety chain it is locked to an eye bolt on the shed.

It will not stop someone that is serious about stealing it but it will at least slow them dow a little or even stop the casual thief. Its main reason is to be sure that the wind or a neighbor child can not tip it over. I also keep a hitch ball that was cut off just below the ball in the coupler and a good trailer lock on the coupler to stop those that will drop a locked coupler onto a bolt head to get the trailer home to where they can work on the lock with proper tools.

My RV is stored on 4 jack stands with no wheels on it. The wheels are kept indoors out of the sun and weather. makes it hard to steal without a flatbed tow truck.

Jack, What brand is the trailer? I posted a BOL on my FB page with a picture. A brand and S/N would help incase they paint it and try to resell it. :thumbsup2:

It's a Motorvation built in Iowa. The model is called a Back Pack 20 without the wing, and the last 4 digits of the vin are five-two-eight-four. I have also notified Motorvation about the theft and included a couple of pictures. It's a long shot but you can never tell?? Repainting is always a possibility. But it's a PITA to get a trailer registered without a signed off title here in Ca. I bought a 6x10 inclosed out of a local bankruptcy auction. Getting the title signed off... the owners had disappeared... was so difficult that after 2 years the auction house finally bought the trailer back at retail, so I didn't get hurt, and it still took them another year to get a clear title.

I live in what is concidered by many a very safe area on Daniels Island, Sc., but even livign in a safe area...everything I own is under lock and key includingmy Bushtgec trailer which is chained to a cement post..

A lock only keeps an honest man honest....but I know my insurance would cover it due to it being chained and locked up when not in use..:thumbsup2:

So Sorry to hear this Jack...hope you find the dirt bag..

• 2 weeks later...
Any luck tracking down the lo life's that stole your trailer yet ?

Nope nothing. I don't give it much hope. A rattle can paint job and different plates off a junker trailer will pretty much make it disappear forever. I've filed a claim with the insurance company. Just waiting to get the police report and then forward a bunch of paperwork to the adjuster. The big problem is what the pay off will be... what I paid for it, or replacement cost??? I even ran into a snag on how they treat the loss. I called them a while back after reading a post here about coverage. I assumed it was like a car trailer, but called to verify. Nope it wasn't. So I added it to the policy and was told there would be no change in the premium. When I called in the claim they originally didn't know WTH I was talking about, but finally found the record of the call. Now they've switched adjusters and want to start all over again with a new recorded statement. I really don't like the way this is headed. It may turn out OK, but if I get shafted I'll let everyone know the company and to avoid them.

Sorry to hear this, it is bad to be violated ... But can you spell "South of the Border?"

When my boat was stolen, the LEO said the odds of finding the thief was Slim to None, and Slim left town. Hope you get it back.

MIKE aka Uturn

:Venture:

any updates?

I've been dealing with the Insurance company claim. They are making me jump thru a few more hoops than I've ever had to before, but so far so good. The kicker will be what they offer as a settlement... I've also been watching Craigslist natiionally. Something I accidently discovered while using Google is the 'image' link on the side menu. After doing a search I can click on the link and every pic on every ad will appear. Being a visual kind of guy it makes searching for a particular item a lot quicker. Even Ventures. Try and then click on the image link in the left menu. :)