IGNORED

Another cyle hit by car

ediddy

It's 2:21pm saturday and I'm at my office catching up on work. I hear sirens and they turn off the siren when they are in front of my office. My son just called on his cell. There is a pharmacy 2 buildings from mine and a guy that was riding a motorcycle is laying on the pavement. The parameds are there getting his helmet off. A lady leaving the pharmacy pulled into the street in front of the motorcycle. She is standing on the curve upset saying she never say him. My son's wife who is a physical theapist, said the guy is now posturing. I asked what is that? She said that's when your limbs start turning in. The guys wrists are turning in. Thats not good. I just don't buy the, I didn't see the motorcycle. I think people just don't look. They get distracted talking on cell phones, texting and just don't pay attention. When is it going to end.

I read this and still get a little upset having had to avoid this type of stuff all the time. Yes, it is our responsibility to assume that everyone will not see us and prepare for it but I hate riding n the city just for that reason. Too Tireing.

I do make my two new drivers vocalize to me every now and then what they are looking for when they check their mirrors or check their intended path. My two say to me, "Checking for motorcycles dad" I hope this helps them really look instead of pulling out in front of one one day.

Thoughts to the family!

It's 2:21pm saturday and I'm at my office catching up on work. I hear sirens and they turn off the siren when they are in front of my office. My son just called on his cell. There is a pharmacy 2 buildings from mine and a guy that was riding a motorcycle is laying on the pavement. The parameds are there getting his helmet off. A lady leaving the pharmacy pulled into the street in front of the motorcycle. She is standing on the curve upset saying she never say him. My son's wife who is a physical theapist, said the guy is now posturing. I asked what is that? She said that's when your limbs start turning in. The guys wrists are turning in. Thats not good. I just don't buy the, I didn't see the motorcycle. I think people just don't look. They get distracted talking on cell phones, texting and just don't pay attention. When is it going to end.

NEVER.

A large part of the problem is that the front pilars on either side of the cars windshield create blind spots big eough to hide a small car, never mind a motorcycle, or pedestrian on the side walk. Add to this the fact that more and more cars refuse to stop 1st, before pulling out into traffic, or crossing a side walk, but often just whip out with out properly checking traffic. On top of that, throw in a cell phone to boot. The biggest culprites seem to be young female drivers bent on rushing and multitasking through their errands. Ever notice how the cell phone never leaves a young womens hand, be they walking, driving, or even sitting through dinner. Every five seconds they look at it as though they will just die if they don't get a message. I have actually had to tell my daughter in law (who I love dearly) that in my house cell phones are not allowed at the dinner table. I find it very rude when someone is constantly texting during dinner, and they scare the life out of me when i pull up along side someone texting while driving. Its like the text they are sending say's "who's Next".

I drive with the mindset that everyone on the road is an oblivious idiot (here they usually are). I also ride with an onboard video cam, a neon yellow reflective vest & I'm not afraid of using my horns A LOT.Even if it's just a quick tap when I go through an intersection & someone is in the opposite turn lane.

This will never end because the penalties for distracted driving are not severe.

Edited by cabreco

Down here where I'm at add in the "blue hair" crowd. I agree with the A piller thing being part of it. I know my pick up is wide and has hid stuff on me. But you have to "want" to pay attention to whats going on too. Most are worried about facelook or tweter or something earth shattering like that. I have sat at a stop light before and watched the person next to me fiddleing with a phone paying way more attention to it then the task at hand. After they sit a few moments tap the horn sometime. Alot of the time they will simply hit the gas before ever looking up at the signal. Its especially fun when the law is next to or behind them. :rotf:

I drive with the mindset that everyone on the rode is an oblivious idiot (here they usually are). I also ride with an onboard video cam, a neon yellow reflective vest & I'm not afraid of using my horns A LOT.Even if it's just a quick tap when I go through an intersection & someone is in the opposite turn lane.

This will never end because the penalties for distracted driving are not severe.

I also agree with the bright reflective vests. I know it may not always work and may look gooberish, but consider if you do get hit or ran over your family has a better chance in civil court.

ok folks lets not put all the blame on cagers. Im a commecial painter. I put 60,000 or better miles a year on a full size e250 ford van. Im in that seat more than my bike. Does that mean I look for motorcycles because I ride? Yes. Does it happen. Unfortunately yes. I almost hit a couple on a small bike last year by pulling out in front of them. No cell phone, food or any other diversion. I simply didnt see them. Luckily he saw me and I opolgiesed profusely to him and he seemed to understand after he cussed me fro being an uncaring cager. I had to show him my m endorsement on my liscense to prove i ride and feel his anger.

It happens to us all and not seeing someone on a bike is no excuse but lets not start out by sayinf none of us are ever in a cage . And please dont put yourselves as perfect and you always see because you ride. I know Im more sensative to a biker than most cagers. BUt the only perfect human to walk this earth was Jesus and God. Lets not say we are perfect.

David

I believe 99% of the time where "I didn't see them" is BS. It really translates to "I wasn't paying attention". Last year I was almost hit head-on by a young buck in a pickup truck on a two lane road when he swung out to pass the car in front of him. I swerved off the road onto the gravel shoulder. He missed the back of my bike by less than a foot and plowed into the guardrail. He either kept his truck into the guardrail or the guardrail held him against it for 150 feet. Good thing as my wife was following me and if he swung back on the road he would of hit her head-on. Now it was daylight, my bike is white, I was wearing my lime-yellow florescent riding jacket, my headlight was on, my passing lights were on I also have Moon Shinez LED bright white driving lights/turn signal. That's 5 (five) bright lights shining his way! He told the cop "I didn't see him". I asked the cop what was he doing driving if he was that blind? (I had stopped shaking by then). Now here's the catch. My wife was video taping me and caught the whole thing on video. We played it back to the cop. He didn't buy the "I didn't see him" either. He wrote him up for excessive speed, passing in a no passing zone, reckless driving. I dunno, years ago they passed a law all motorcycle have to have their headlight on maybe we need to have them all equipped with internal headlight mini video recorders too.

I guess I have been extra paranoid since a co worker lost a leg just above the knee when a car ran a stop sign and hit him broadside. In his case ATGATT did not matter much.

I watch everything very close and will not hesitate to use my dual BadBoys and/or flip the Hi-beams on and off to make sure they are looking at me. I also now run one gear lower in the city than I used to, for the option of instant acceleration.

I need a louder horn(s)..........

I think my headlight modulator has helped me out a few times. You see someone pull up and roll almosst thru the stop sign, then they hit the brake and stop. Anly thing I can think of is they saw the flashing light and it drew thier attention. Other option is handle bar mounted paint ball guns. They cut you off, plaster thier windshiield. That may get thier attention.

After I posted yesterday, I left the office on my bike. I rode right by where the guy was hit and I was a little uneasy about riding my bike and thinking about the guy. I also wonder if the guy hit is alive or dead. About a 1/4 mile from the office I stopped at a traffic light. There were two cars in front. I always look in both mirrors when stopped to watch anyone that might come up behind me. In my right mirror I see a young girl in an older S-10 blazer approaching my rear. She is flying and looks like she isn't slowing down. I started to let out the clutch and move forward and I realized I couldn't go forward because of the cars in front of me. I kept watching the girl coming up behind me and decided she was distracted and wasn't going to stop. I was going to put the kick stand down and jump off the bike when she stopped about a foot from me. I was already upset so before I thought I turned around facing her and I shook my finger at her and yelled, you better get your #$&*& off my a#s. If you can't drive your vehicle get your stupid @#%$&^& off the road you dumb b@$%h. Her mouth dropped open and when the light turned green and I went forward but she stayed about 10 car links behind me.

A famous line from Hill Street Blues "Lets be careful out there". Comes to mind. Cell phone people are the worst. Is a phone call that important? To some its more important than life. Yours or mine. Sad. If its mine the perpetrators cell phone should have to play" HEY, LOOKOUT" in my voice for their ring tone.:2cents:

Sometimes I'm more scared to drive than to ride,,,, seems I'm more alert when I ride, but I don't move over a lane without a shoulder check when I drive either anymore, so that's good. Buuuuuut I also noticed that I have missed seeing bikes and cars in my travels,,,, probably have for a long time, but now I'm just more sensitive to them. It happens and it happens, and it happens some more. Is the fix to get upset and so try to exonerate ourselves? Only make you upset!

Will changing the punishment help,,,, oh I think so,,,,, but the best defense is still: ride as though you are invisible, do everything possible to be seen, but don't think for one split second that you have the right of way. That should be the basic, inbreed, totally you. With that in mind, don't be timid on the road, take your spot, ride your track, keep your speed, and keep to the speed limit.

Case in point: you're coming up to an intersection, going straight through, person turning left coming towards you, you slow down and maybe even move to the right, even a little,,,,,,,,, what does that person think about you?????? ya, you're turning, because you slowed and moved over,,,, they seen it and they are going to take advantage.

Scary business this riding, I think I'll go back to bed,,,,, it safer,,, oh wait, if it springs a leak I could drown.