IGNORED

Want to upgrade horn

muaymendez1

hey guys, My horn on my RSTC has bothered me since day one and I have not changed it because I have not found a replacement that I like.

I dont like the bad boy type air worns, Does anyone have any experience with othe rtype of air horns.

When i picked up my bike it had a Howards horn but it sounded like a keychain air blaster.

My buddy's goldwing sounds like a chevy van.

thats the sound I am looking for .

i dount have the fairings or lowers so where would be the best place to mount?

Under the saddlebags, By the radiator?

I replaced my '83 stock horns with horns from AutoZone. I used a high tone universal (FIAMM # BH101HC, AutoZone # 006073) and a low tone "Freeway Blaster" (FIAMM # BH103FBL, AutoZone # 345230) 132db! I initially hooked them up using the stock wiring and connectors, as well as the stock brackets. The high tone universal would sound off, but the Freeway Blaster would just "thunk". After determining that the Blaster was in fact good (by connecting straight to battery with jumpers), I determined that the setup was too much for the stock wiring and switch. Not wishing to burn up the switch (very expensive and difficult to replace), I wired in a horn relay and new 14ga wire to power the horns. As for the "trigger", I simply plugged in the stock horn connectors to the relay. A new 14ga wire from the battery to the relay provides the juice to fire the horns. The provided short wire was used to ground the horns. I was even able to retain the chrome covers from the stock horns and use them to cover the back side of the new horns.

Now, the bike sounds just like my Chevy Silverado truck! I'm even considering utilizing the setup on my Acura Legend. (How can such a fine car have such wimpy "beep-beep" horns?!)

Has anyone ever heard the reasoning behind the fact that as vehicle get smaller, the horns get quieter? Why do Semi-trucks need the horns that will deafen you while motorcycles have a horn that is barely audible? I really like my bad boy horn with the factory horns tied together on the other side. The sound now is just short of obnoxious.

Dave

I put 2 sets of these Stebel Electric horns on my MKII. They are on ebay (

Stebel TM80 Magnum Pair - One High Tone and One Low Tone) for about $19.00 a pair. They have cosmetic minor surface cracks but does not affect the horns functions. Or you can pay about $40 a pair for new ones without the surface cracks. These new without the surface cracks seen quite abit for them I thought that I saw them about a year ago for about $30.00.

I've attached some pictures. The front two goes on the old mounts. The rear set are tucked in behind the passenger floorboards.

Just 2 sounds great but 4 sounds superb. So in this way all 4 sides are covered with a set of high and low horns (Front, Rear, Left & Right).

Jose,

The horn type you are looking for is what they call an Italian Fiamm design which you can find at most autoparts stores like Pep Boys, etc. Most of these are made for cars to be hidden away under the hood, but we bikers want something in a shinny chrome. And you can still get these m/c horns in some of the bike accessory stores. I have been using Stebel brand horns like this for years and now have dual Nautilus horns back by the bags behind the passenger floor boards.

Take a look at Stebel.com where you can see that they still make 4 models of this Fiamm design:

http://www.stebel.it/stebel2009/products.asp?IDserie=2&uso=1&IDprodotto=13&tipologia=moto

It's interesting that they have a button box where you can hear how they sound. And there ar boxes where you can select the various models. Once you decide on a horn, you can Google the model you are looking for to see who sells it. But several manufactures make this style of horn, so you have options. So search around to find what you want.

Here is another type that I found on E-Bay:

http://compare.ebay.com/like/280816844803

The problem with these horns is that they draw enough amps that you cannot use your existing horn wiring to power them.....they will fry your horn switch. In other words, they require you to power them with a heavier wire from the battery or accessory panel with the use of an 30 amp accessory relay.....where you can use the existing horn wires to trigger the relay. And they will come with a flexible spring steel strap to mount to the bike. This is necessary because if you mount them with a solid bracket, you will not get the proper sound.

Hope this helps,

Rick

hey guys, My horn on my RSTC has bothered me since day one and I have not changed it because I have not found a replacement that I like.

I dont like the bad boy type air worns, Does anyone have any experience with othe rtype of air horns.

When i picked up my bike it had a Howards horn but it sounded like a keychain air blaster.

My buddy's goldwing sounds like a chevy van.

thats the sound I am looking for .

i dount have the fairings or lowers so where would be the best place to mount?

Under the saddlebags, By the radiator?

Edited by Rick Butler

Thanks for the great replies.I really like the 4 horn idea and I was aware that I would need to wire through a relay.I just wanted the loudest most obnoxious horn even if it meant looking obnoxious.

I am a truck driver butt I'm not a chronic horn blower.I blow the horn to get someones attention, my wife on the other hands uses it to express her issues with drivers around her.

So one the swith and circuit a are protected power draw will only be need 1nce in a while. I have noter used my horn in months and just sunday someone didnt see me and couldnt hear me either, I ned to make this a priority

I put 2 sets of these Stebel Electric horns on my MKII. They are on ebay (

Stebel TM80 Magnum Pair - One High Tone and One Low Tone) for about $19.00 a pair. They have cosmetic minor surface cracks but does not affect the horns functions. Or you can pay about $40 a pair for new ones without the surface cracks. These new without the surface cracks seen quite abit for them I thought that I saw them about a year ago for about $30.00.

I've attached some pictures. The front two goes on the old mounts. The rear set are tucked in behind the passenger floorboards.

Just 2 sounds great but 4 sounds superb. So in this way all 4 sides are covered with a set of high and low horns (Front, Rear, Left & Right).

I have a set of those horns as well as the Stebel air horn. These Magnums

TM80's are as loud as the Stebel air horn. I mounted one under the left lower cowling where the other stock one mounted and the other is under the front fairing. Because they have a chrome finish they'll look good mounted oustide on the bike as well.

Larry

I went ahead & installed new horns on my CB750. The OEM horns were really weak sounding so I swapped them out for a set of Fiamm Hi/Lo from a 2003 Lincoln. Why a Lincoln?

1. I like the big car sound

2. They are real easy to pull of at the junk yard.

3. The are plastic faced

Anyhow, very easy install, used a relay. The Power came from a fused line off the battery I have already. The OEM wires powered the relay without having to cut anything. And the horns grounded right to the frame. Of course I needed a few terminal ends & a few strips of 1/4 shrink tubing as well as wire wrap.

I had everything but the horns lying around so for me the cost was $8.00 for the horns at Pick & Pull!

They are loud & the blend into the blackness of the bike!

As far has mounting them on your bike, that would be up to you.

Here's a quick video

[ame=

]
[/ame]

[quote name="

Thst was great.I thought about junkyard horns.I actually removed the horns from my camaro but they were so large and bulky really just awkward to mount.

I will be searching the wrecking yards this weekend.Not crazy but enough to make someone think there is a vehicle larger than my bike honking.