IGNORED

sign of the times

Sailor

FYI Anyone going to Mexico. Just got our tickets to Mexico. Included was an advisory that hotels and businesses may refuse to accept American cash. They will accept credit cards. We are advised to carry Canadian dollars, Pesos or credit cards.

I have travelled the world extensively and I have never seen a case where good old American greenbacks would not be welcomed by the locals. I'd be darn leery about using any credit card in a foreign country....and if I had to I would use them only through the local American Express office for whatever the situation called for. Local Banks will have currency exchange services available for a small exchange fee. Credit cards for absolute emergency use only IMHO.

Boomer....who sez don't drink the water or mixed drinks wit Mexican ice cubes....the "end" result could pooch up yer vacation in a way dat is not enjoyable.....:whistling:

Good luck in Mexico....hope the cartel doesn't decide to use you or your family for ransom or you get caught up in a cartel shoot out.

I used to get a lot of pics from remains of their shoot outs....very impressive at the fire power they roll with, way more than the avg patrol officer.

I'm with Chief, no way would I use my credit card down there.

When I was down in Texas two years ago, 4 banks there wouldn't take my American Express Travelers Checks. They told me to use them in Wal-Mart and get the cash there. :confused24:

So now I never use travelers checks anymore; but instead use the VISA Card, because they have insurance coverage and almost anyplace will take it.

Guest Slab_Ryder

Last year, a BP Station in Kentucky would not accept American Cash, or a Canadian Visa or Master Card. Since, I opened a bank account in Maine IOT have an American Debit Card so I know I can get Gas, trouble free.

I have used a debit card in Europe, Mexico, Hawaii, etc with no problems. I rarely use a credit card. I think it is just cash they don't want to take and since the U.S. refuses to accept any other countries cash they do have a point.

Not worried about banditos or druggies. I don't have any interest in drugs so won't be dealing with those people or going to the drug farms.

A friend from Saltspring was recently murdered in Malaque. He challenged a gun wielding 18 year old thief. I am not too worried. According to statistics in the past four years 42 Canadians have been murdered in Mexico while 448 Canadians have been murdered in Canada. What is the murder rate in the U.S.?

We have also been advised we will soon need a passport to travel to Mexico. The times are changing.

FYI Anyone going to Mexico. Just got our tickets to Mexico. Included was an advisory that hotels and businesses may refuse to accept American cash. They will accept credit cards. We are advised to carry Canadian dollars, Pesos or credit cards.
I think credit cards are probably the safest form of currency exchange to use. At least the Canadian ones are because they are all insured, can't speak to the US bank cards. Always inform your CC issuer regarding your trip departure and return. Someone wants your card, give it to them. Call your CC company and cancel it. Keep an eye on the monthly invoice for false charges. Real money has no safeguards like electronic money.

Regarding cash, use pesos and get them at your bank in Canada usually for a better rate than is available in Mexico. Not much point in buying USD then changing them into pesos for a double exchange payment. Also, when buying pesos in Mexico you could be at risk of either observation or tip off to robbers about your newly acquired wad of cash.

I've traveled a bit (60 countries or so) and so here's my 2 cents to the discussion.

I carry only an emergency stash of US$ - exchange rate is lower for cash than credit or ATM

Haven't used travelers checks in twenty years - too hard to cash.

Credit cards have fraud protection but who wants to fight the paperwork?

And most credit cards now charge a 3% foreign exchange fee.

Don't ever get a cash advance on one - it will eat your lunch!

ATM withdrawals quickly give you local cash from you account back home.

Their foreign exchange fee is usually 1.5 % plus the ATM fee

I make major withdrawals to avoid these fees OR use my banks fee-free local partner

Just be sure to let your local bank know ahead of time what country you'll be in

Our six months in Russia ends in a month and I will spend all of May in Mexico.

до свидания

Lynn

I just returned from Mexico and never had any probleh with my us cash

I just returned from Mexico and never had any probleh with my us cash

Yep, The wife and I have been down in Mexico on a couple of 7-8 day trips, plus a road trip fron Tiajuna to Cabo with a buddy. The US$ has never been refused, but before going I always pick up 3-400US in Pesos from a local money dealer. I get daily value, with no fees. I've also picked up Pesos at even a better rate than the bank or hotel from a shopping mall store. They will usually put a sign in the window with the rate if they're exchanging. I also carry a couple of hundred in one's and five's US as a lot of the shops or resturants have trouble exchanging $20 at the bank. The banks are really a PITA in Mexico....

The value is still there. On the way back from the Cabo trip My buddy and I stopped in Ensinada around dinner time to get a real mexican meal, and by-pass the crowds at the boarder during rush hour. Couldn't find a Mexican Resturant anywhere so we went Chinese. We were hungry and ordered the Sea Food Supreme for three. The waitress pointed out that we only had two, and we said that's alright... bring it!! They filled up two tables with all the different dishes. Didn't know what some of the dishes were and really didn't want to... :) Anyway the bill came to 75Pesos. About $7.50 US!! I gave the waitress a 100peso bill and said keep the change..... :)

We recently returned from a beautiful trip to Australia - a Capitol One card is a MUST, no fees for out of country use.

We did run into several places that refused to take our US greenbacks and didn't accept credit cards. Fortunately, we found nearby more than several exchange facilities that gave us a fair exchange rate. At the time our money was nearly tit-for-tat anyway so it was no big deal.

I really recommend getting a Capitol One Visa or Master card, it was welcome everywhere except very small shops.

Whenever I've gone to Canada, Mexico, Germany or any foreign country, I always exchanged US$ for the local currency. It seems pretty arrogant of Americans to expect the natives to accept our currency. No business in my town would take THEIR currency, why should they take mine?

That's why a cc is a necessity - we took 1000 euros to Spain, France and Italy last summer expecting it to be sufficient for a 2 week tour, it lasted about a week.

Credit Card is the answer -

I went to mexico with my mom and dad. We had a great time, and they actually preferred american cash. One guy actually tried to scam us saying 20 pesos is worth 20 dollars. Of course i was 12 at the time, so that would have been in 2006. And i know that times are-a changin :p When we were down there they said cops in one town would extort tourists for money, so be careful where you go and what you do Be safe and have fun! :fingers-crossed-emo

I carry a mastercard for emergencies and use atm for daily expenses. I usually take out enough to last a couple weeks. Whenever we travel in Europe I use the atm's. I think this advisory is for what may be coming down the line. When we were in Puerto Vallarta last time I noticed they had a special number to call to report crooked cops. We really like it down there and have never had any problems, even riding the bus from Malaque to Zehuateneo and back.

I carry a mastercard for emergencies and use atm for daily expenses. I usually take out enough to last a couple weeks. Whenever we travel in Europe I use the atm's. I think this advisory is for what may be coming down the line. When we were in Puerto Vallarta last time I noticed they had a special number to call to report crooked cops. We really like it down there and have never had any problems, even riding the bus from Malaque to Zehuateneo and back.

Dinner on the rooftop of La Placita..... :thumbsup2:

we had a couple weeks in Puerto Vallarta 3 years ago, nobody refused the US dollar. A couple vendors tried to get a more than favorable exchange rate but all you have to do is be a little savy and walk away, they usually change their mind.

At the time I didn't have a Capitol One card and paid the price using my Chase card.

Whenever I've gone to Canada, Mexico, Germany or any foreign country, I always exchanged US$ for the local currency. It seems pretty arrogant of Americans to expect the natives to accept our currency. No business in my town would take THEIR currency, why should they take mine?

Most tourist places I have been in Mexico, and we have been there I believe 12 different times since the early 90's prefer good ol american money. Not sure why.