IGNORED

How do you lube your joints?

I just finished installing a 2nd gen starter on my 1st gen 86 VR. It clearly solved the slow cranking.

I cant say that I enjoyed the job. It wasn't a difficult job but you have to remove a lot of parts to get to the starter.

I purchased new O-rings for the connections at the thermostat housing.

Is a good idea to lube the rings with anything to help with reassembly and sealing?

Maybe water soluble Vaseline or silicone?

Liquid soap, pure antifreeze or silcone grease (such as brake lube or dielectric grease).

BUT Do not use any petroleum based lubricant such as oil or normal grease. Some rings are oil resistant but unless you know for sure it is safest to avoid any kind of petroleum. Depending on the type of o-ring the petroleum based lubricants cause them to either swell or deteriate.

Also do not put them in dry or they may roll and tear or pinch. If your stuck with nothing, spit on it.

Edited by saddlebum

I knew this thread would go sideways, I just never thought it would take that long.

:innocent:

Like I didn't see that coming when I titled the thread!LOL

Thanks for the help guys. I used antifreeze to reassemble the thermostat housing after changing the thermostat and rings.

Next I need the big plastic elbow that I ordered and I should be able to reassemble the bike.

All of the fairing work is done.

Balance the carbs and change the oil and I am ready for spring time!

Like I didn't see that coming when I titled the thread!LOL

Thanks for the help guys. I used antifreeze to reassemble the thermostat housing after changing the thermostat and rings.

Next I need the big plastic elbow that I ordered and I should be able to reassemble the bike.

All of the fairing work is done.

Balance the carbs and change the oil and I am ready for spring time!

I'm jealous, I have not even started my winter projects on the bike, And I still have a lot of helies and planks to build to.

Spring is coming fast already.

Hey rstacy, i see you live right here in CNY. Are you planning on attending the International rally in july? It's only 1 1/2 hour ride for you. Everyone from CNY will be there. Plus many others from around the world. Be a great time to put a face:yikes: on the hooligan's you've been talking to here on the site.

Hey rstacy, i see you live right here in CNY. Are you planning on attending the International rally in july? It's only 1 1/2 hour ride for you. Everyone from CNY will be there. Plus many others from around the world. Be a great time to put a face:yikes: on the hooligan's you've been talking to here on the site.

My son and I tend to do a lot of traveling for our model helicopter hobby.

http://www.raymondstacy.com/rk2.jpg

I am planning on coming if I am free that weekend.

I live in Sodus.

I have had the pleasure of meeting Jim (Jayceefolly) and Bongobob. They have got to be two of the nicest guys you can ever run in to.

I was at Bongobob's July 4th party last year and met a few others as well.

I hope that I can make the July rally.