IGNORED

Went to an Auction Yesterday

Condor

Bought a Fender Guitar in an SKB hard case with some sort of electronic tuning gizmo, like new, for $100 bucks. Don't know how to play, but it will look nice sitting next to the Ibenez I picked up last month..... So... anyone else pick up anything interesting at an auction lately??? :confused07:

All of the auctions that I have ever been to around here were closed business auctions that were open to the public. used equipment was selling for more, sometimes a LOT more, than what I could go out and buy the exact same make, model, NEW equipment for.

Yeah, ya gotta be carefull. Look at the catalog, and then research anything you're really interested in. I pick up a lot of stuff at auctions, and have never paid close to 25% of retail. OK, once in a while I will shell out a few extra bucks for something I really want. I was ready to go to $200 on the Fender but bidding died at my $100 buck bid. Surprise!! You might try looking at local Estate auction houses instead of going to biz auctions. And if you haven't gone to an auction lately I think you'll find that in this economy people aren't bidding the big bucks any longer.... Look at Ebay. The sellers are lucky to even get a bid... the good ol' days are long gone....

You also have to be careful today with name brands. I'm sure that you more than did your research but you can't always count on something being valuable because of the name. Some Fenders are worth a lot of money and others are not even worth $100.00. The USA Fenders still bring good money and even some of the ones made in Mexico will command good prices but they also have a line of cheaper "made in China" guitars that you can pick up NEW for that price. Fender Squires are one example. I see them fairly often on Craigslist sold as complete packages including a cheap Chinese made amp, cables, etc. for sometimes less than $100.00.

If you picked up a USA or even a Mexico built Fender for $100.00 though, you did very well.

You also have to be careful today with name brands. I'm sure that you more than did your research but you can't always count on something being valuable because of the name. Some Fenders are worth a lot of money and others are not even worth $100.00. The USA Fenders still bring good money and even some of the ones made in Mexico will command good prices but they also have a line of cheaper "made in China" guitars that you can pick up NEW for that price. Fender Squires are one example. I see them fairly often on Craigslist sold as complete packages including a cheap Chinese made amp, cables, etc. for sometimes less than $100.00.

If you picked up a USA or even a Mexico built Fender for $100.00 though, you did very well.

Nope... It's MOC, but it ain't cheep. Used retail, in like new condition, is around $200 without the case. The SKB Freedom hard case runs a little over $100 bucks on sale, and the tuner used is another $30 bucks. I did a lot of research on it, and if you can find one new for $100 bucks.. you'd better buy it. Like all the positive feed back I read, it's a lot of bang for the buck and equivalent to guitars costing much more. I didn't find one bad feedback. BTW it's an acoustic... not an electric....

Well, like I said, I was sure that you had done your research and because of that, my response was not directly aimed at you. It was just a warning to anybody else that might be interested that the name brands that we used to could count on to mean something, don't always mean anything any longer. No way could I comment on what you bought without knowing what it is. To others looking though, Craigslist or Ebay can be decent ways to judge value. If you go to the Cleveland Craigslist for example and enter Squire in the musical instruments section, you will find Fender Squires for as low as $40.00 and others with guitar, case, amp, strap and stands for $100.00 and less. This is not just about Fender either. A LOT of manufacturers that used to have nothing but very well made models now also offer cheaper models that are made in China, Indonesia, Korea, etc. Some of them are pretty darn good too but just don't bring the price on the used market that their USA made equivalents do. Heck, even Martin has a line of guitars now that is made in Mexico. They aren't bad either.

OH...and the SKB Freedom is not a bad case either. I have one for my Seagull Acoustic/Electric and it has done a good job and held up well. Pretty decent cases for the money.

Well, like I said, I was sure that you had done your research and because of that, my response was not directly aimed at you. .

My bad, I thought it was.... But in that regard it was just an example of something I recently picked up at an auction, and just trying to toss a log on the discussion fire... Guess it worked. Have you been to an auction lately??

It's probably been 5 or 6 years since I have been to an actual action. I used to go fairly often and enjoyed it. Never bought much though. There are a couple of online auction sites that I frequent from time to time but have only won one auction. I made a bit of money on it but probably not enough to make it worthwhile.

Look at Ebay. The sellers are lucky to even get a bid... the good ol' days are long gone....

For the Venture parts it might because they think the stuff is made of gold!

Absolutely ridiculous prices from some of the bike wreckers!

Auctions are a favourite form of entertainment for my wife and I...trouble is I have to tie up her hands!

Just recently we bought a 8 x 12 prefinished wooden shed, complete with vinyl siding, 2 windows, wired for 110v, window boxes, awnings and a double door for $650 NEW!

It was a shed company that went out of business.

Bought a Fender Guitar in an SKB hard case with some sort of electronic tuning gizmo, like new, for $100 bucks. Don't know how to play, but it will look nice sitting next to the Ibenez I picked up last month..... So... anyone else pick up anything interesting at an auction lately??? :confused07:

Sure would nice to See A Picture and grieve because I didn't find it!:depressed:

So... anyone else pick up anything interesting at an auction lately??? :confused07:

Didn't need to go to any auction to get this ...

[ATTACH]62235[/ATTACH]

Guy that lives in our basement suite is moving out and he just gave it to me.... and I then gave it to our daughter Tiffany.

From what I can find out, they are hand-made Italian bikes from the 80's and currently worth (used) $400-$600

Didn't need to go to any auction to get this ...

[ATTACH]62235[/ATTACH]

Guy that lives in our basement suite is moving out and he just gave it to me.... and I then gave it to our daughter Tiffany.

From what I can find out, they are hand-made Italian bikes from the 80's and currently worth (used) $400-$600

Gotta love them neighbors. Had one give me a 1989?? Honda F600 when they left. Not my cup of tea, so sold it on Ebay for $850 as a parts bike. :sign woo hoo:

Condor...........I know someone that has a almost brand new...genuine...used very little....appears to be superior quality...and may be discontinued someday and be very valuable... helmet camera...that would be willing to do a even-up swap for the "Guitar"....if you'd be interested?

I'm having a problem trying to remember if I placed in an earlier post about the helmet cams.....that I gave less than $20 for the camera?:think:.......never mind...I'll Just Go Back To Grieving...:stickpoke:

The Fender Acoustic..Case and etc. "Great Find"

Condor...........I know someone that has a almost brand new...genuine...used very little....appears to be superior quality...and may be discontinued someday and be very valuable... helmet camera...that would be willing to do a even-up swap for the "Guitar"....if you'd be interested?

I'm having a problem trying to remember if I placed in an earlier post about the helmet cams.....that I gave less than $20 for the camera?:think:.......never mind...I'll Just Go Back To Grieving...:stickpoke:

The Fender Acoustic..Case and etc. "Great Find"

:sign20: The camera would be another toy that would sit around and not get used. Daughter is starting to mess around with a guitar... that's where it'll probably end up. Right alongside the trumpet.... :) Now if you had a 264 win mag laying around???:whistling:

:sign20: The camera would be another toy that would sit around and not get used. Daughter is starting to mess around with a guitar... that's where it'll probably end up. Right alongside the trumpet.... :) Now if you had a 264 win mag laying around???:whistling:

You need to look no more.... gun with shells ....might say the "Real Deal":confused24:

I picked this up in work White Elephant Gift party. I saw a couple of guys look at it closely and so when it came by me as it was being passed, I recognized it as an antique calculator. I stayed low until near the end and so when I got the chance I selected it.

Looks like an electronic abacus...... I had one once that was solar powered.... :whistling: Very GREEN.... :)