IGNORED

Close call today

playboy

4 lane divided hwy traveling west I'm in right lane cage in left lane behind me another cage pulls out from side street turning west. Traveling 70mph grabbed both brakes an signaled left but cage behind closing to fast and not enough room that I felt I could safely stop. So I grabbed some throttle and used what little room there was about 2' on the shoulder and passed on the right. I know that's not a good thing to do but my gut told me it was my only option. I had just read Dons post last night and another one the other day on panic stops and praticing them at 80mph. Anything else I could have done besides rearending the cage.

Any constructive comments you won't offend me.

:doh::no-no-no:

Sounds like you handled it in the best way you could under the circumstances. It's fortunate that nothing happened to you. And it is frustrating when you realize that things could have been less risky if just one of those cagers had been paying attention and showed more intelligence than a chimp. Too much to hope for, I guess. Really glad you were OK.

Andy

I used to teach Emergency Vehicle Operators Course to police and we set up cones and did drills. One of the drills was steering around an obstacle at high speed as an alternative to hitting your breaks and striking the object. I say well done.

Another technique was not locking your brakes,(a locked brake won't steer and has less friction with the road surface) this needs to be practiced in a parking lot but if you hit your foot brake and it locks, curl your toes up in your boot until it just unlocks and you have the most control and fastest braking distance you will get. If you let off and reapply you waste time and usually jam on it worse the second time.

In emergency driving your vision gets narrowed so you look where you have decided to go and do your steering inputs.

We only have two things we can control no matter what we are driving, speed and direction. Most fatal accidents are caused by over compensating for a corrective action. ie the car that avoids an obsticle and puts it in the ditch, then over corrects and crosses the center line and usually ends up in the opposite ditch or beyond.

Don't know if you do this or not, but a trick I've learned is to look down the road about 100 yrds. If your looking 30' or less, well lets just say, that's what your about to hit...

Sounds like you were acutely aware of the surroundings and thats what's important when things go south....

On an interstate "I" either leave a gap to my left by varying my speed, or, ride in the left hand lane at whatever the current pace of traffic is. Regardless, that's where I go when I see someone about to enter the interstate that isnt going fast enough.

The right hand lane has two spots, the entrance and exit ramp where the differences in speed are what can get someone killed. You can and will be cut off by people entering the highway going slower than traffic at the entrance ramp. You can and will, be cut off by people trying to get in front of you at the exit ramp.

Regardless of what lane I'm in, it is always in the left portion, two feet from the line, I never ride in middle (oil/obstacles) or right portion of any lane. The other reason i do this as well as the 6 second rule is it allows you to see obstacles in the road in front of you. Most road clutter is in the middle and extreeme sides as the tires from cars have a way of cleaning off the road. It also allows a "minor course correction as you are only 2 feet from the line(escape path)(concrete/blacktop on both sides) as opposed to a major 12+ feet course change"(gravel on right side)... Those couple of extra feet can get you killed...

Seriously though, you did good, no one was hurt, bike is unscathed, other than some soiled underware, it's all good...:confused24:

Yeah Joe I'm used to driving for me and everyone else I drive a log truck nearly everyday people don't pay attention. Kinda on the other end of things 85,000 lbs versus ? No contest but no driver ( not a steering wheel holder ) there is difference wants a win on his conscious . I hope one makes me better at the other.

By the way I did wave at the cage afterwards:whistling:

You did good.

Here in north Georgia very few secondary roads have driveable shoulders which unfortunately removes one panic move option. And more and more divided highway medians are strung with cable between steelposts which are cycle shreaders.

But I always try to drive with an eye for what to do in an emergency like you had.

btw did you get the vehicle license of the person who piulled out in front of you to give the police?

Don't know if you do this or not, but a trick I've learned is to look down the road about 100 yrds. If your looking 30' or less, well lets just say, that's what your about to hit...

Sounds like you were acutely aware of the surroundings and thats what's important when things go south....

On an interstate "I" either leave a gap to my left by varying my speed, or, ride in the left hand lane at whatever the current pace of traffic is. Regardless, that's where I go when I see someone about to enter the interstate that isnt going fast enough.

The right hand lane has two spots, the entrance and exit ramp where the differences in speed are what can get someone killed. You can and will be cut off by people entering the highway going slower than traffic at the entrance ramp. You can and will, be cut off by people trying to get in front of you at the exit ramp.

Regardless of what lane I'm in, it is always in the left portion, two feet from the line, I never ride in middle (oil/obstacles) or right portion of any lane. The other reason i do this as well as the 6 second rule is it allows you to see obstacles in the road in front of you. Most road clutter is in the middle and extreeme sides as the tires from cars have a way of cleaning off the road. It also allows a "minor course correction as you are only 2 feet from the line(escape path)(concrete/blacktop on both sides) as opposed to a major 12+ feet course change"(gravel on right side)... Those couple of extra feet can get you killed...

Seriously though, you did good, no one was hurt, bike is unscathed, other than some soiled underware, it's all good...:confused24:

Thanks Joe, I ride just exactly how you have explained here to a point. Glad you brought this up. Some have mentioned of where to ride in these situations, and this seems to be the safest to me also. Always with in the 2' margin of the center line, no matter what lane or side of the center line your on. For instance the Interstate (or any 4 lane divided), stay close to the center white line at all times. This is the safest for me.

Glad you where not injured or worse Playboy. Have a safe trip and enjoy your time off. I think you did only what you had time to do, but after reading again a couple times to make sure I understood what you said, I would have taken the left lane. Like Joe, I always ride with in that 2' margin of the center line no matter which lane I am in.

I have seen a lot of people here in my area as I am riding back and forth to work a lot, that will ride either in the center of their lane or to very far right side. Very dangerous, the traffic behind the motorcycle can in no way see the bike after one cage is behind him. I had the opportunity one day to see this on a trip to Morehead,Ky here in my own cage.

The only time I will take my bike to the right in my lane somewhat is in a stop situation to keep the cages from going by me to turn right and almost run over my right foot.

Fuzzy

Thanks for all the replies it gives me a little more confidence in my riding.

To fuzzy I was in the left side of right lane if I had swerved left the BMW would have probably a$$ ended me.

As far as the license plate number. LOL can only tell you it was a faded out red or maroon don't even no what make.

Can tell you guys that most real truck drivers are very aware of there surroundings for your safety watch what's going on around them on the road so you can anticipate when they maybe getting into trouble it will keep you safer and help them do there job safer. I'm sure they will appreciate it and get out of your way as quick as they can. Hope this makes some sense it's hard to explain if you've never sat behind the wheel of one of these rigs. Hard to believe that these machines have so much in common when it comes to driving defensively. Biggest difference on the scoot it's your life in the truck it's probably someone else or a whole family. Muaymendez1 may agree or be able to explain it better.

Thanks for all the replies it gives me a little more confidence in my riding.

To fuzzy I was in the left side of right lane if I had swerved left the BMW would have probably a$$ ended me.

OK, sorry, misunderstood the situation a little. Read your post again and that shines more light on what you where dealing with. Ya that would change the whole outlook.

You definitely did all you could then.

James

Need a ejection seat that would shoot us straight up. Then some nut would run over me in a tunnel!!:confused24:

Not a problem Dan...if you eject straight up in a tunnel, no one will be in a position to do you any more significant harm! Should you survive, though, you may need a lowering kit for the bike...a major lowering kit!

Andy

Need a ejection seat that would shoot us straight up. Then some nut would run over me in a tunnel!!:confused24:

Or I would probably land on a high voltage electric line or someone's yard swarming with PIT-BULLS. But still that is a good idea Yammer Dan, with a good light parachute MMMMMmmmmm.

Thinking out loud,

Fuzzy

Or I would probably land on a high voltage electric line or someone's yard swarming with PIT-BULLS. But still that is a good idea Yammer Dan, with a good light parachute MMMMMmmmmm.

Thinking out loud,

Fuzzy

maybe a cape with a big S on the back :superman:

I'm at Jim and Sheila's home...barely.

I was riding the exit ramp (exiting right) when a cager decided to exit from the middle lane...I had to jam on the brakes to get behind him or he would have side swipped me right off the road.

It was interesting as there was a fine mist of rain at the time and I did some pretty agressive braking...but no harm done.

Thankfully!

Good to hear Trader,,, now you got me worried about you a little.

At MCT we were taught 'the throttle is your friend',,,, the brake is your last resort. As I read your post, I thought,,,, wow they were right, it worked for him!!! Good reaction, it saved your skin.

So to sum it all up:

1) look to where you want to go, for where you look there WILL you go.

2) Look ahead for hazards, plan to avoid them.

3) Consider your outs, you might need one.

4) You are invisible, so that means you can't be seen.