IGNORED

My 85 Brown Fox may be dead...

I took the Brown fox for an Autumn ride today Ii got about 12 miles from home when I notice a cloud following me. I pull off the road and the fox is smoking like crazy. i shut her off and climb off to see oil dripping out of the(I think) tranny case rather quickly. Its running down onto the collector box and onto the ground. I shut the engine off and the oil stream slows an stops. I start the engine and it starts to flow again. I call a tow truck and take it home.

The questions i have: 1.) is there a drain plug on the bottom of the tranmission and could it have worked loose. If not, outside of a possible cracked engine case what else could have caused this leak. To actually be able to see the underside of the engine i'll have to pull the collector box. before i do i need to know if its worth it and what i might find under there.

Special note: For the last few weeks the engine started making an internal rattling noise while idling on the side stand.. If its not fixable then I'll either start piecing it out or sell it outright for parts. but before i do that I hope to know if its salvage able. Please help guys and gals.

Kind of hard to say without really being there. Could be a loose bolt or two from the oil pan, or maybe a bad seal on the shifter. Does it leak right on top of the collector? There's not much right on top of it to leak really. It's probably coming from in front of the collector, maybe a loose drain plug, cracked drain hole or stripped plug, sensing unit for oil level,, or if you happened to bottom out on a curb or something, it could be your oil pan has a crack in it.

Just my thoughts, before others have better ideas.

Pull the middle gear cover and take a look back in there. With that kind of flow it should be easy to spot a leak if there is one in there, and it's right over the collector. Also take a look at the bottom bolt of the middle gear cover... it does double duty as a drain plug. Also check the bottom of the pan and the back screws. You can see them as the collector doesn't quite cover them. Good luck...

Special note: For the last few weeks the engine started making an internal rattling noise while idling on the side stand.. If its not fixable then I'll either start piecing it out or sell it outright for parts. but before i do that I hope to know if its salvage able. Please help guys and gals.

You have not indicated that you have any problems with 2nd gear, but rattling while on the side stand is another indication you have a worn thrush washer in your gearset.

RandyA

Don't just give up on the whole bike unless it is "marginal" to start with!

These things don't die that easily and a lot of bikes are parted out when the drive train is still good!

Maybe you can find one cheap and just swap out the whole thing. I would think that would be easier than rebuilding anything.

:clap2:

Sounds like it's only leaking under pressure. That should rule out loose pan bolt, drain plug, oil level sender.

As pointed out by others - everything behind the middle gear cover has oil pressure on it when running.

I got to my job site today and got thinking that is great advise . Whay to go on thinking about what is happening under pressure and what can ruled out. thanks for being on our side, Everyone!

Curious.... Just how much oil pressure does one of these V4's have anyway?? Anyone have a guage hooked up?? And would a 2gen have the same as a 1gen??? :confused07:

On my 83 I installed a gauge===when the engine was cold, the oil pressure would jump up to 70-80 PSIG as soon as it was started. When the motor and oil got hot, at idle you'd see about 5 PSIG, and about 45 PSIG @ 3,000 RPM.

I have no ideal what it would be on a 2nd Gen, but I'd imagine it'd be close.

Frank D.

I'v had to work the last few days so i just put the bike up in the garage. As I was asked the second gear is starting to go. when its not under extreme throttle it will hold or when its warm is will hold better and longer . But its definitely starting to go with 46.000 miles on her. I talked to skydoc who called me and he suggested looking into the tranny too after trying to trouble shot an exact location.

I'll be getting to it i hope this week and will keep you all informed of the progress made. i won't give up on the Fox unless its a major disaster . I really like the 85 for so many reasons.. My only other choice would be a Black and Gold 86.

Thanks for all the advice so here we go.:thumbsup2:

Hey guys thanks for all the good advice. I've been in contact with skydoc17 he feels the noises maybe coming from the secondary gear. Second gear had already started to go. and i still have not located the oil leak yet. Unfortunately I don't have the money for an extensive repair to the engine. Earl helped local another bike for me that I should be able to transfer parts from the "Fox " I've already contacted the owner and will be picking it up in a week or two.

My great thanks to Earl! Without him I'd be ventureless or worst maybe riding a 2nd Gen.

( Oooooh I'm going to catch some hell for that). LOL! Once again this site has proven some of the greatest people ride Ventures.:thumbsup2:

Now for those of you interested I'm going to be parting out the rest of the bike and contacting members I know also buy and part out machines. There are a few body parts i plan to keep but the rest will be up for sale very soon. Bongo Bob already has first dibs on stuff and Earl can have what ever he wants off of it. but the rest is up for sale. Phil.

• 1 month later...

Hi everyone sorry i was away from this post awhile. Personal stuff and a search fr a new bike had me busy. The good news is i have deposit down on a new( to me) 86 with only 35k on it. Its the color i always wanted Dark Brown/black and Gold and has everything on it my 85 had and more. The new bike is complete so the 85 is ready to be parted out. I'll be going back over the list here that people asked for and do my best to try to get back to you with prices, shipping etc.

I went on ebay to look at prices and trying to keep under the higher prices and stay with the medium to low end. I will dicker if you enjoy the energy of the bargain. LOL! so in the next few days i'll begin contacting those who have already asked for parts . In cases where two have asked for the same thing the person willing to pay my price will get it.

My hope is to use the money from these parts to pay off the balance on my new ride. so this really isn't a profit making endeavor. I also have the bike listed on Craigslist for a $1000.00 to take the whole thing. My parts list alone, even conservatively shows the bike in parts is worth 3 times that. So those already on this thread that have put in requests will be hearing from me over the holiday and until Christmas or until parts or the bike is sold outright.

I want to thank all who have shown interest, its good to be able to help fellow members while still being a part of the forum with my newer first Gen. I'm excited. Phil.:thumbsup2:

My hope is to use the money from these parts to pay off the balance on my new ride. so this really isn't a profit making endeavor. I also have the bike listed on Craigslist for a $1000.00 to take the whole thing. My parts list alone, even conservatively shows the bike in parts is worth 3 times that. So those already on this thread that have put in requests will be hearing from me over the holiday and until Christmas or until parts or the bike is sold outright.

I want to thank all who have shown interest, its good to be able to help fellow members while still being a part of the forum with my newer first Gen. I'm excited. Phil.:thumbsup2:

I think you may have the cart before the horse on this Ebay thing. Selling things off the bike before it closes probably won't set well with the buyer. Once Ebay closes, and it doesn't sell, is the time to start talking to the members interested in some of the parts. Just be aware that you will end up with a lot of left overs parting it out,,,, Good Luck....