IGNORED

Finished Ride Around Texas

pktexas

Just completed my 2nd attempt on the Iron Butt Ride Around Texas (3247miles)in under 85hours.. 1st attempt DNF last Oct when I hit a gear box in the road at night outside Dalhart, which took out my left side cowling, floorboard and shifter along with a smashed exhaust and hole in stator cover.

This attempt I started in Galveston on Monday 9/5, finished yesterday 9/8 barely. 84hours and 20min. Didn't mean to cut it that close, lost some time up in north Texas with 2 problems with the Venture. One was a clogged fuel filter, changed out in a hotel parking lot in Nocona. 2nd problem was from my 2010 RAT attempt curse of the kickstand wiring that got cut off in the Dalhart debris hit. The stand wiring was re-wired. Had a problem with engine cutting off and on, about 6 months ago. So I decided to check the stand wiring again, didn't find anything wrong, just unplugged the connector and re-connected no more problems all the way back to Galveston.

Did run out of gas in west Texas from El Paso to Guadalupe N.P. and then to Kermit. Even with my 3 gallon Aux tank, Bad planning on my part. Didn't consider fuel mileage going over 70 for 200 miles.Luckily I made it to a little town west of Kermit, but it was closed and only took cash. A very nice lady drove by who worked there and opened the store and let me fill up. Gave her a big tip. Lesson learned.

Lots of night riding which not fond of anymore after hitting that debris last year. Seen deer, hogs, jack rabbits, cows in Big Bend, and lot's of smoke from the wildfires.

Rode from Victoria to Harlingen and from Atlanta to Marshall with with fires burning right up to the road some places. Hard to breath and see. Didn't have any road detours which would have killed my chances on the last leg.

Had 18 checkpoints along the way. attached pic of my Spot tracker showing my ride.

Lots of other stories. Here are a few pics. Not much time for picture snapping on this ride. I am glad to have finished this time around. The Venture was fun to ride the whole trip. She got me home safe.

Edited by pktexas

Congrats, Perry...you surprised me...didn't think you would do it again so soon!

Wanted to get it done this year, when it stays lighter longer. Lucked out on the weather when planning the last month, we were in triple digit heat mode. It broke just in time Labor day. Only got into a little rain up in the Panhandle.

See you in Leakey, got some stories.

Congratulations. Glad the Venture took you all the way this time and you didn't hit anything in the road. Sounds like you saw prenty in or beside the road. Guess we'll have to start calling you a hard ass. Thanks for the pictures.

See ya on a ride some time, Be safe.:thumbsup:

Well done.

Was signed up to run this last year but had to bail due to work scheduling. I would run this whole route just for the opportunity to ride highway 170 from Big Bend to Presidio. Has to be the most beautiful road I've ever been on.

Hope to see you there in future years.

RR

Well done.

Was signed up to run this last year but had to bail due to work scheduling. I would run this whole route just for the opportunity to ride highway 170 from Big Bend to Presidio. Has to be the most beautiful road I've ever been on.

Hope to see you there in future years.

RR

its a nice ride for sure. I think I am going to skip for awhile. 4 times in 3 yrs. One curve on the river road ride I came around a curve and there was a large steer in the other lane. Always seen the signs for loose livestock, but odds are you will see it sometime.

need to come down to the get together at Leakey. Three sisters area is nice also.

too bad I didnt know you ran out of gas,been going from kermit to orla for the last 7 day 3 am and 9 pm

glad I had an angel looking out for me out there. I pulled in to a little town called Mentone. Bike died at the pump. Place was closed till a lady came by and opened the store so could get back the road. All n all, only there about 30 min.