IGNORED

Hot link to location

Flyinfool

In the upper right corner of every post there is the flags for country and state, and above that the name of the members city. Is it possible to make the city name a link that will open Mapquest or Google earth to make it quick and easy to find approximately where someone lives?

This feature is on several other websites that I frequent and I find it handy.

Most of us do not live in major cities that everyone knows.

It worked well for Freebird's and JemorissonJr....but not for condor's!

It opened up a map of the world with lots of points of interest flagged.

I figured NOBODY would know where Tichborne is....so I always used "North of Kingston"...but now I've changed it and it works

Edited by Trader

It worked well for Freebird's and FreemorissonJr....but not for condor's!

It opened up a map of the world with lots of points of interest flagged.

I figured NOBODY would know where Tichborne is....so I always used "North of Kingston"...but now I've changed it and it works

Hey.... Whachu talkin' about?? Mine works.. :) Maybe Don fixed it???

I have tried many of the location links and lots of them bring them back to my general location here in San Antonio TX. Its possible the others will find the same thing, they click on a location link and find them back to their location also.:confused24:

Rick A. aka Sidecar:Venture:

In the upper right corner of every post there is the flags for country and state, and above that the name of the members city. Is it possible to make the city name a link that will open Mapquest or Google earth to make it quick and easy to find approximately where someone lives?

This feature is on several other websites that I frequent and I find it handy.

Most of us do not live in major cities that everyone knows.

Great idea Jeff.....:thumbsup2:

OK....I think I can do something like that. Actually...I think I just did it. You will now see a small globe by the location. Just click on it.

Don,I can't tell how much time this is going to save me when I try to get to the house..:big-grin-emoticon:

That was really quick service...

I still can't believe that you can manage this site and do your full-time job...:beer:

You are a amazing guy..:thumbsup2:

OK....I think I can do something like that. Actually...I think I just did it. You will now see a small globe by the location. Just click on it.

Dang that was quick.

Don, you da man.

But your rite I guess Condor don't really exist.

It shows him as being just a couple of miles from me.

When I click on the link for Condor it does a google search for Carmichael and gives me the full name, address and phone No of everyone in my area named Carmichael. If I add the ", CA" on the end then it finds Carmichael, CA.

Hmmmmm....

More experimenting/playing is in order.

Edit:

After playing around some I have determined that the new link just takes whatever the person has listed for a city and plugs it into Google maps. If the city is a persons name it will search out every person with that name, if it is a city that is used in more than one state then it picks one to display, not always the right one. I found a number of people that came up in the wrong state or just had dozens of hit across the whole USA and Canada.

So it is not just picking on Condor living in Carmichael. It is simply finding all of the Carmichael's starting with those closest to your location.

Don

You nailed this one so fast and just what I was thinking of, I hate to ask for more, BUT, is it possible to have this link read the state to append after the city name?

Edited by Flyinfool

is it possible to have this link read the state to append after the city name?

or we can all just make Don's life a little easier and put the locaton as "town, state" (or province) in full.

I used to have "somewhere north of Kingston" and it couldn't find me either.

But...when I put in town and province it does it perfectly.

is it possible to have this link read the state to append after the city name?
Reading the state will only work people enter it in their profile. This could be about as successful as getting everyone to enter what they are riding. Seems one of the most popular rides is "supporting member".

• 2 months later...

Hey, Freebird, I just noticed something. Does your "Globe" thing only work in USA? For me (and slabrider), it puts me in Massachusetts (Dartmouth, MA) rather than in Nova Scotia, Canada.

EDIT: I put in our postal code (under location) and it fixed it. Of course, then it shows exactly where I live, which may not be a good idea?

Anyway...

EDIT #2: Changed it to Dartmouth, Nova Scotia and now it shows a generic Dartmouth location.

FYI!!! :)

Edited by myminpins
Fixed it kinda LOL

• 1 month later...