IGNORED

We Stopped to help.

Phoneman1981

Hello Everyone: While on our way home from Sturgis yesterday, Patrolman46 and I spotted a couple at the South Dakota Nebraska line with all of their belongings unloaded out of their tour pack. It looked a little suspicious. Evidently they aslo stopped at the border and shut off their bike, however evidently the key and security fob were dropped at the last place they were back about 100 miles in Rapid City. The bike would not start with out the fob. 100 degree heat with a storm approaching. I made a call to a friend and he located a Chadron resident to come to their aid with a trailer. We got the Ultra loaded and hauled to a motel 20 miles away. Their kids drove 5 hours one way to bring them the spare keys. No one got hurt and we made some new friends!! :)

That's one reason why I don't like these new key fob things instead of a real key.

And just earlier this week, it has been discovered that an Android phone can be used to unlock and start a car without the owner's permission.

http://content.usatoday.com/communities/driveon/post/2011/08/hackers-show-you-could-steal-a-subaru-with-your-smart-phone-black-hat-unlock-start/1

fantastic that you stopped to help out, it means the world to someone in need of a hand. the help-each-other attitude is what makes riding a scoot such a great experience!

Brian

Hello Brian: We are a tight bunch!!!!!! I have made many friends just by accident. Sure enjoy the sport and the people.

That's one reason why I don't like these new key fob things instead of a real key.

And just earlier this week, it has been discovered that an Android phone can be used to unlock and start a car without the owner's permission.

http://content.usatoday.com/communities/driveon/post/2011/08/hackers-show-you-could-steal-a-subaru-with-your-smart-phone-black-hat-unlock-start/1

Interesting read, thanks for posting..

fantastic that you stopped to help out, it means the world to someone in need of a hand. the help-each-other attitude is what makes riding a scoot such a great experience!

Brian

Very Well Said. Thank you friesman, my thoughts as well. If I have trouble, I hope you or someone like you, may stop by to check on me.

Fuzzy

Edited by FuzzyRSTD

We had a simliar happening in Ft. Collins Co. about 5 years ago. Guy couldn't get the steering head lock to disengage on the Electra Glide he rented. I ended up taking my pocket knife and sliding the lock pin back up into the cylider so they could ride it. It was going to be an all day tow fix and whatnot from the HD dealer. We put some electrical tape over it to keep it from sliding down again and he went off to his next stop on his vacation where they would replace the assembly. It's all about being in the wind and not what your riding, a brotherhood....

I believe it was V7goose that made a remark about having a spare key a month or so back.

went out to garage and I placed one on my bike with a black zip tie.

never know when you'll need it...:backinmyday:

And you park your bike where?????:whistling::whistling::whistling:

We had a simliar happening in Ft. Collins Co. about 5 years ago. Guy couldn't get the steering head lock to disengage on the Electra Glide he rented. I ended up taking my pocket knife and sliding the lock pin back up into the cylider so they could ride it. It was going to be an all day tow fix and whatnot from the HD dealer. We put some electrical tape over it to keep it from sliding down again and he went off to his next stop on his vacation where they would replace the assembly. It's all about being in the wind and not what your riding, a brotherhood....

:sign yeah that::sign yeah that::sign yeah that::sign yeah that:

Being a part of this group will change your way of thinking.. I've even offered to help a few people the last few years..... must be getting old??

:sign yeah that::sign yeah that::sign yeah that::sign yeah that:

Being a part of this group will change your way of thinking.. I've even offered to help a few people the last few years..... must be getting old??

What do you mean getting, after all you are retired.....:stirthepot:

During my travels, the v twins that I saw on the side of the hwy, had no rider with them.

I was under the assumption that when the bike (HD) got a certain distance away from the fob it would shut down. I know that is how my buddies 09 Ultra works. I drove it from his shop to the end of his drive and it shut down.

:farmer:

Hello: I am no authority on HD at all. As it turns out, the owner called me the next day, frustrated with info that he got from his dealer while on the side of the road on Sunday. It appears that on Monday he was told there was a way to overide the securtiy system afterall, should the fob be lost or the battery go dead? His original fob was found on the ground at the restaurant they ate at just before leaving Rapid City. Evidently it fell out of his pants pocket after he started the bike?

I'm Patrolman46 & was with Phoneman1981 when he did his good deed for this poor stranded couple. I don't think many of you know Mark very well, but I'm sure RandyR will verify &vouch for what I'm about to say about our brother Mark.

He truly should get the "Good Samaritan of The Year" award at our next rally. He just won't drive by anybody that is stranded or needs help. (I have witnessed 3 of these rescues myself). And he is truly doing it out of the goodness of his heart. He is also a really fun guy to rally with because he has a great sense of humor & loves life to the fullest. And he really loves his wife. (Kind of unusual after 30 years.)

We are both really happy to have found the Venture Riders group & are looking forward to seeing you all at another rally soon.

Well this should embarrass Phoneman1981 a little, but he needed to be recognized for the "GOOD GUY" he is.

THANKS MARK..!!!!

C Ya, Patrolman46 :bobby:

I'm Patrolman46 & was with Phoneman1981 when he did his good deed for this poor stranded couple. I don't think many of you know Mark very well, but I'm sure RandyR will verify &vouch for what I'm about to say about our brother Mark.

He truly should get the "Good Samaritan of The Year" award at our next rally. He just won't drive by anybody that is stranded or needs help. (I have witnessed 3 of these rescues myself). And he is truly doing it out of the goodness of his heart. He is also a really fun guy to rally with because he has a great sense of humor & loves life to the fullest. And he really loves his wife. (Kind of unusual after 30 years.)

We are both really happy to have found the Venture Riders group & are looking forward to seeing you all at another rally soon.

Well this should embarrass Phoneman1981 a little, but he needed to be recognized for the "GOOD GUY" he is.

THANKS MARK..!!!!

C Ya, Patrolman46 :bobby:

Thanks Dan: Just paying it forward. Hoping someone would do the same for us. Very proud to be a part of this family.

I believe it was V7goose that made a remark about having a spare key a month or so back.

went out to garage and I placed one on my bike with a black zip tie.

never know when you'll need it...:backinmyday:

i keep my spare key laced into my boot....i never ride without my boots on :lightbulb: