IGNORED

Can I tell you how stupid Iam

bull463

Hi All

Well monday went to Bongobobs had a great time. Nice ride home this mornning is were the story starts. I have been building a deck at home and it has been going well. Today I had one hand rail left to put on so Christy and I made all the cuts and put the hand rail into place. It looked great. Christy went in to get ready for work and I stayed working on the blocks to hold the bottom of the rails.

I was useing the table saw to cut the blocks. Well I got my finger in the way of the blade. Oh my god the saw went into the end of my finger about 1 inch. I hit the ground holding it. So I went into the house to tell Christy I just about made it to the sink when pain really set in down on my knees in frount of the sink. I had Christy call the ambulance I was dizzy and feelling sick. Funny Ive pulled all kinds of other people out of wrecks that were all messed up never bothered me but my own blood really makes me sick.

So after 7 stitches in the finger Im back home with some time off work. Man this sucks and the deck is still not done. You can bet I will be more careful next time I get the table saw out.

Bull463

I had a close call with a saw today. Must run in the family... I took chain saw out to wack down couple little trees Warden wanted to get rid of. 1st tree fell and I dropped saw to side. Wasd cutting the standing up and leaving about 3 ft stump. Dropped Chain saw down and felt it hit knee. Was wearing shorts. Scared the He** out of me. Looked down and there was a line of blood across my knee. After getting up the courage to check it out I had a good scratch on my knee. After I quit shaking I put chain saw up!!!

I was cleaning out the gutters as they have the tendency to fill up with leaves. I was only on the third step of the step ladder and the ladder started to fall over to the right. I decided I did not want to fall on a perfectly good ladder and break it, or myself, so I jumped off backwards. At the time it seemed like a good idea. When my feet hit the ground, I had almost the correct balance of, land on the balls of the feet, knees slightly bent. Unfortunatly, having been a normal ground pounder and not the type who has jumped from perfectly good airplanes, I forgot to drop and roll (not that there was room anyway) When I hit and both eyes went into the same socket, I grabbed the ladder, which had decided not to fall over now that I was not on it and that kept me from falling over. I grabbed the trash can I was throwing the contents of the gutter into and used it like a walker to make my way back into the house where I was confronted by my wife. After the explanation she brought the ladder in, got a walker that had been my fathers and drove me to our family doctors office. After the xrays and the determination that nothing was broken, the doctor had me get some ted hose...like compression sox and told me to stay off my feet. The next day my feet looked like purple egg plants with toes. And after the 5 visits and more xrays at the ortho doctor, it only took 6 weeks before I could return to work. The only up side is that it happened in November when the riding season was winding down anyway.:depressed:

Pictures - when you stick you finger in the table saw, we need on the spot pictures like the ones attached.

# 1 was taken in the garage a few minutes after I tested the blade ( you can see the blade works )

#2 was taken at the hospital after they cleaned it up and before they sewed it up

Hey, I'm glad that you didnt cut it off or do more damage then you did..:thumbsup2:

Just one question though... can you tell right now if your heart is beating??

(Throb, throb, throb....:rotf:)

My story:

Years ago, I was using an air chisel cutting off the bolts on a front shock on a car.

I noticed all this red stuff running down my arm, and felt no pain whatsoever..

I began looking to see where this red stuff was coming from and behold, the end of my finger (below the back side of my fingernail) was straight across... I looked on the floor and saw my finger tip ..thats when the pain started...

I picked it up, wrapped it up in a red shop rag, and drove myself to the hospital where they sewed it back on..

Cant even tell except for the white line around my finger where it was cut off at..

I also have all the feeling back now..fingernail even grows like it supposed to..

And yes, I could tell my heart was beating...for a couple weeks

Saws are totally unforgiving. We use to (I still do) when framing way back when take skill saws and jam the guards open. The guards slow you down so much. You can never take your mind off them things when they are spinning. Glad it wasn't worse. Good luck with the finger.

When I was probably about three I sat on a small folding wooden seat (like a coffee table) when it collapsed on me; my fingers to be precise. Cut the tips of five total - both hands- and bone showing on two. I remember laying on the ER table waiting for the doctor, whom I'm told took two hours to show up

How'd I do, did I win????

Hey, I'm glad that you didnt cut it off or do more damage then you did..:thumbsup2:

Just one question though... can you tell right now if your heart is beating??

(Throb, throb, throb....:rotf:)

My story:

Years ago, I was using an air chisel cutting off the bolts on a front shock on a car.

I noticed all this red stuff running down my arm, and felt no pain whatsoever..

I began looking to see where this red stuff was coming from and behold, the end of my finger (below the back side of my fingernail) was straight across... I looked on the floor and saw my finger tip ..thats when the pain started...

I picked it up, wrapped it up in a red shop rag, and drove myself to the hospital where they sewed it back on..

Cant even tell except for the white line around my finger where it was cut off at..

I also have all the feeling back now..fingernail even grows like it supposed to..

And yes, I could tell my heart was beating...for a couple weeks

About 20 years ago I was working in a machine shop as a machinist. Our welder mistakenly added Tungston Carbide particles to the hardbands when it was supposed to be smooth. My supervisor said to chuck it up in the lathe and use an angle grinder to grind it smooth. This all went pretty good till the grinder hit a bump and was thrown out and down cutting the zipper of my jeans in half diagonally. Threw the grinder down and went to the dressing room and gave little EZ and the boys a good checkup. Thankfully no damage except a trashed pair of Levi's. Told my supervisor where he could put his grinder and went to the house for the rest of the night. Gives you a very good appreciation for Mr Levi Straus

Since we are telling our stories....

Last year was using a drill with a Philips screw driver tip to take apart a table. One of the screws was stubborn so holding the piece with my left hand and pressing down on the drill with my right...the bit slipped off the head of the screw and hit the top of my index finger on my left hand.

Of course I paused to make sure my finger was okay... until I saw blood on the underside as well as the top. Thought.... COOL .... went right thru ! Then took the screw out with a little more care.

Lucky for me it missed the bone but I do have a small scar on top and bottom of my finger now. Two more to add to the many !

Sorry about your accident. Hope you recover quickly !

Table saws scare the H%$@ out of me so I am super careful when using one. I always (well, almost always) use a wooden push stick to assist in feeding the wood.

Years ago tho (seems a common phrase around here LOL), when I had my autobody shop, I was using a high speed grinder to grind off some rust, etc on the inside lip of a wheelwell. Stupid me... I was doing it in the wrong direction and the grinder wheel (#24 grit sander actually) caught the sharp inside edge of the wheelwell and spun back across my fingers and back of my hand. oooooo boy did that ever make a mess but lucky I didn't sever anything!

No story here. Just wondering if anyone has heard of that table saw that will immediately stop when your finger touches the blade. Have no idea how it tells the difference between wood and flesh. Saw them demonstrating it with a hot dog. It had a tiny, tiny knick on it and that was it.

http://videosift.com/video/New-Safety-Table-Saw-Stops-whenever-skin-touches-it

http://www.sawstop.com/

Guest scarylarry
No story here. Just wondering if anyone has heard of that table saw that will immediately stop when your finger touches the blade. Have no idea how it tells the difference between wood and flesh. Saw them demonstrating it with a hot dog. It had a tiny, tiny knick on it and that was it.

http://videosift.com/video/New-Safety-Table-Saw-Stops-whenever-skin-touches-it

We have them at work and they do work, when cutting pressure treated wood there is a by-pass switch that kills the sensor if not the moisture from the wood would kick it off..

They had to change over to these saws when someone cut his finger almost off..

Pictures - when you stick you finger in the table saw, we need on the spot pictures like the ones attached.

# 1 was taken in the garage a few minutes after I tested the blade ( you can see the blade works )

#2 was taken at the hospital after they cleaned it up and before they sewed it up

Gawd almighty, is there nothing that we won't take a picture of? In this case from my own point of view.......

TOO MUCH INFORMATION!

Hadda hurt like blazes! Hope neither one of ya had any nerve damage!

My youngest daughter, who is an RN, lost two fingers to her table saw last year. She picked up the fingers, but they were too mangled to sew back on. There is no forgiving with a table saw. Or any other moving machinery for that matter.

Way back 40+ years ago I lost a thumb to a circular saw blade mounted on a Dremel tool when the power went out during a cut causing to tool to catch and jump. They were able to put the thumb back on but it will never be the same.

I have watched the vids from this a bunch of times.

Yes the saw will need a new motor but motors can be repaired a lot faster and for a lot less money than new fingers can be grown or repaired. The inventor will demonstrate by running his own hand into a saw. Never more than just a slight nick. had to scarey as all get out the first time he tried it on his own hand.

first off I hope everything heals up ok.

I have multiple stories (It take me a while to learn).

While building my home I was on my ladder nailing up the soffit (two story house) and the ladders started sliding sideways. I’m not sure how I got down before the ladder hit the ground, I think I jumped off when I had 7 or so rungs left to go. The ladder got bent; luckily I just had a bruised ego.

I was cutting the spindles down for my front porch rail using a table saw. A couple of blocks where vibrating by the blade and my wife thinking that she would help out, reached in to move the blocks away from the blade(yes it was running at the time). I grabbed her arm and pulled her away and chewed her out for attempting something like that. Then not two min later I reached in to move a block away from the blade (yes it was running) and instead of it sliding away from the blade, it went into the blade and shot right at my eye. I doubled over in pain but managed to hit the safety switch. Luckily the block was big enough that it hit my brow and the lower socket bone keeping the block from penetrating the eye and skull. It blinded me in that eye for about 3 weeks (until all the blood finally drained from it) and detached a small portion of the iris.

Working construction framing a home, I was nailing up a wall the nail hit a knot, came out and stabbed my finger. I jerked my and away and immediately grabbed a handful of my shirt and rapped my pointer finger in it. I noticed that my ring finger was bleeding; I wiped at it to clean it up and noticed a cross cut like the nail had struck it. I then noticed my index finger was bleeding and looked closer to find that the nail had gone through my first two fingers and into my ring finger. That’s when I went into shock and had to sit down.

Too many kickbacks from the table saw to mention (usually cutting round disks on the table saw out of 4' by 4' sheets of plywood) but only nicks on the fingers.

We have them at work and they do work, when cutting pressure treated wood there is a by-pass switch that kills the sensor if not the moisture from the wood would kick it off..

They had to change over to these saws when someone cut his finger almost off..

Interesting. Thanks for posting...