IGNORED

Going to be a LONG Winter - PLEASE READ

Freebird

I don't even know where to start here. There have been a number of threads lately that went from fun to tense to downright confrontational within a few posts. Some should probably never had been started and others were fairly innocent. It seems that some folks are just sitting by watching for anything that they consider ever so slightly politically incorrect and just POUNCE as soon as they see it. That kind of attitude will destroy what we have built here if we allow it to.

When I started this group, I set some very basic guidelines and so far, they have worked fairly well. Basically the guideline is that this is a PG rated site. No nudity, vulgarity, dirty jokes, etc. The vast majority here have respected that and I thank you all for it. It gets borderline once in a while but when it does, a short note is all it takes to get things back on track.

Another thing we have done here is to try and keep discussions of a political nature, religious differences, etc. to a minimum. To some, there may seem to be a disparity in regards to religious talk. There are many posts here asking for prayer for a member and other such things. That is perfectly acceptable and I'll NEVER try to stop it. What is NOT encouraged are arguments about different religious beliefs or even about whether or not a member does or does not believe.

It seems that political correctness has also crept more and more into the objections here. Are people just LOOKING for a reason to be offended? I've seen several fairly innocent jokes that one or two people have been offended by. Actually, I sometimes think that they aren't truly offended, just trying to get something started. We have to all work together folks. If you read something that is not completely politically correct, sometimes you just need to be adult enough to just move on. Let it go. We don't need to make a mountain out of every mole hill. The hyper-sensitivity to political correctness has to stop.

None of these issues are major at this point. All sites go through these things as they grow. The more members you have, the more chance that there will be people of drastically different opinions about things. That is especially true when the group is made up of people from all over the nation and world. Political beliefs vary greatly. Differences include politics, gun control, nudity, religion....pretty much everything that touches our lives on a daily basis.

Here is the bottom line folks. I love what we have built here. I count many of you among my best friends. You are MUCH more to me than an online community. I would not want to lose a single member due to somebody being offended about a post and/or what types of posts are acceptable here. At the same time, having a LOT of members has never been the primary goal of VentureRiders. I would honestly rather have 500 members who truly are happy to be here than to have 5000 that are fighting and bickering all the time. Being the largest Venture club around is just not important. The friendships are what is important.

I will continue, with the help of our very few moderators, to run this site the best way that I know how. I started this club with a general idea on how I thought it should be run. This club exists because of my disagreement with how some other sites were run. I have always tried to get a feel for, ask for, understand your thoughts and opinions. I have always tried to put the desires of the MAJORITY of our members above all else in how I run things here. I will NEVER please everybody.

So, I hope that each and every one of you will continue to find something about VentureRiders that you like and will stick around. I hope that we can all be adult enough to ignore those things that we don't like. Move on and just realize that the site is run to please as many as possible and you are NOT going to agree with everything and everybody. If you can't do that though, consider doing what I did when I was unhappy with the clubs already available. Start a new one. Do exactly the same thing I did. Register a domain name, purchase hosting, build a site and run it the way that YOU think it should be run. You decide what to allow and what not to allow. Maybe you have that perfect knack of knowing exactly how to please everybody all the time. You are even welcome to post the link to your new site here. I'm not going to compete with you. This site is free. If somebody leaves, it bothers me because I feel that I have lost a friend or a potential friend but NOT because somebody leaving here costs me any membership dues or may result in us not having more members than another club. The fact is, if you are REALLY unhappy here then it's not worth it. Find some place where you can be happy and if you can't find such a place, build a new one. Maybe there are MANY others who feel the same way you do. Heck, if it turns out that you are truly that much better at this than I am I may even shut this site down and join yours. :) (not likely though, I'm pretty happy with what we have)

I made a mistake before starting this club. I spent too much time fighting with a handful of folks in an attempt to change a place. In doing so, I made myself unhappy and caused others to be unhappy. We are what we are and will try to please as many as possible. If you can be happy here then I am really glad. If you can't though, I'm truly sorry and hope that you will find a place where you can be.

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is a great forum with lots of really kool folks. I think all the moderators are doing a good job. If a person wants a confrontational forum, there's lots out there that'll be happy to have them. Thanks Freebird and everyone else who works to make this a great place to kick back and relax.

:goodpost::sign yeah that:

Steve:beer:

Amen! Ive also come to see that even on the Boating forum I frequent. A few threads there also seem to bait people on political and religious issues and that only makes it less enjoyable and even if you dont participate in a thread like that it gets too you even to the point I have stepped in and said " What the heck are you doing!" Funny thing is I know Freebird has some strong political views but even though he made this wonderful place he keep his views on those issues out of those threads and off the site. That should tell us alot. Lets enjoy this and not ruin it. Save the politics for the political sites.

Freebird, Thanks again for what you do, creating this group and working this hard for nothing except the friendship we bring. And thanks for the refocus.

Well stated Freebird and I concur 100% !!!

IMHO trouble-makers should be quickly spotted by the Mods and given fair warnings only twice. Shape up or ship out! Why risk losing really good members for the sake of a few malcontents who will always be throwing crap at the wall just to see what sticks!

For those getting the boot the Mods should also ensure that those members don't take any ice cream or cheesecake with em.......

Regards......Boomer

ps: If I ever get close to crossing the line here I fully expect the Mods to do a slap-down on me. Cabin fever effects everyone differently but that in itself is no reason to start a flame war here.

Don,

I appreciate all that you said. There are enough places on the internet to go for those looking for a fight, dirty jokes, sex, etc. I read this board every day several times. To me, Venturerider.org has become one of those safe places for me to go to have a few minutes to de-stress from all that's going on around me.

Here I have found help when needed and an encouraging word when I feel down. I have also found friends I haven't met yet and never knew I had, and wouldn't give up for anything in the world.

I love you guys! Let's not mess up what is easily one of the greatest websites in cyberspace.

Thank you Don! You have done a great job with this site. This community is again one of those examples where if everyone had to be paid for that which they offer, then we couldn't afford it. But, because that which is shared comes from the heart we all benefit.

And, thank you to everyone else who contributes here too! What a great site with truely nice and helpful people. You guys are all like the friendly next door neighbor who I can visit with while working on my bike in the driveway or in the garage; always willing to share some helpful advice, a joke, and even some good-natured ribbing.

With all of the upside-down thinking and general craziness of today's world, this forum is a nice mental get-away with some friends.

Merry Christmas & Be Safe!

Pete & Sandy Kadish

Orem, Utah

Indeed,, this place is a true haven of rest.. Being a motor head at heart and self employed at it, I frequent MANY sites,, everything from bikes/quads/sleds and buggies.. It always amazes me how ungrateful and down right mean folks can be toward one another - hiding behind a 'puter screen seems to breed it... Then when you find a home like the one that Don has worked so hard to develop you really appreciate it.. Got something going here that is worth maintaining and I support you 100 percent in your endeavor to do so Don!!

Just so you know,, I have personally been very selective about who I tell about this site.. Just not the kind of site that everyone needs to even know about - kind of a secret little hide away of my own.. You folks are the greatest and THAT needs to stay that way!!

Scott

Don - thanks for this site - it truly is soooo different from any others. There is a true sense of "family" and the chat room has been a lot of fun.

I agree that not everyone will be pleased but that's life. I also strongly agree that if one is not happy here- please move on and don't spoil things for the rest of us - this is a wonderful place!!

Many thaks again!

Eugene

Don having differing views is just human nature and we are all different from one another. That is what keeps our lives exciting.

Trying to get at another member is wrong. However most of the users here are VERY decent folks who generally care and love our brothers and sisters who share the passion we have for our scooters. This is a great site and don't get discouraged over somebody who tries to stir up trouble.

I've been coming to this site for close to 2 years. I have tried many times to stir up trouble, put down others, create situations causing others to start bashing each other, raise political and religious controversial issues so I could sit back and watch you all fighting.... came close a couple times.... but DANG!!! you all just won't bite at anything...will ya?

OK, to heck with it then, I give up.... :D

:sign just kidding:

RRIGHT ON DON!!!

I've only been on here for awhile but already it has become a part of my life that I would not wish to give up. I check here as often as I check my email. I don't have a lot to say yet but occassionally I will give my 2 cents worth. NEVER would I consider intentionally aggrivating someone. Please keep up the good work and I would fully support giving the boot to anyone that cannot tow the line. This is an adult community and as such most people here are acting like adults but unfortunatly sometimes when there are a lot of people involved you run into a few that are not and need to be treated like the children they are. Quality is always much better than quantity.

Thank you so much for this place.

Wayne

I've been coming to this site for close to 2 years. I have tried many times to stir up trouble, put down others, create situations causing others to start bashing each other, raise political and religious controversial issues so I could sit back and watch you all fighting:rotf:.... came close a couple times.... but DANG!!! you all just won't bite at anything...will ya?

OK, to heck with it then, I give up.... :D

:sign just kidding:

:rotf: I'll bite.....cheesecake or ice cream!:rotf:

If the world quit worrying about being "politically correct" it would be a much better place to live. It seems that our lives are now controlled by politicians that make sure we do not offend any person, animal, or even dirt....

It may be the politicians and/or lawmakers that are enforcing it but it's those gol durned "bleeding hearts" and activists who are behind it all. I think it's time we stood up against all of them and protested! (ooops... that makes me one of them...)

:sign20: