IGNORED

Inexpensive whine/chirp fix

I have an '01 Venture. The whine/ chirp would drown out the loud pipes, and the stereo, and was almost painful to listen too. It would start at about 2800 rpm, and go away around 3500 rpm. I bought a clutch basket for a 1st gen (1983-1993?) Venture for $45 off Ebay and installed. The noise is almost completely gone now. It still comes in at the same rpms, but much, much quieter, and barely noticable now. A 1st gen Vmax (1985-2007) clutch basket will also fix the problem and are available for cheap on ebay all the time. If you have an air compressor and an impact wrench with a 30mm socket, the basket is easily swapped out in an hour or less and the special clutch holder tool isn't necessary. Download a service manual for a venture (any year) or a Vmax, and you'll have all the info you need to make sure you get it put back together correctly. Don't forget to buy a new gasket, as the original will rip apart when you pull the cover off. If you have any questions shoot me an email at remmerts@live.com. BTW, if you would like your bike to scream like friggin banshee, I now have a clutch basket for sale that will be music to your ears :)

Thanks for the info, I have a `01 that is as bad as yours was, I will certainly look into doing that swap, the OEM "I" basket is just to pricy but this sounds like a good alt. to the problem..

K

I have an '01 Venture. The whine/ chirp would drown out the loud pipes, and the stereo, and was almost painful to listen too. It would start at about 2800 rpm, and go away around 3500 rpm. I bought a clutch basket for a 1st gen (1983-1993?) Venture for $45 off Ebay and installed. The noise is almost completely gone now. It still comes in at the same rpms, but much, much quieter, and barely noticable now. A 1st gen Vmax (1985-2007) clutch basket will also fix the problem and are available for cheap on ebay all the time. If you have an air compressor and an impact wrench with a 30mm socket, the basket is easily swapped out in an hour or less and the special clutch holder tool isn't necessary. Download a service manual for a venture (any year) or a Vmax, and you'll have all the info you need to make sure you get it put back together correctly. Don't forget to buy a new gasket, as the original will rip apart when you pull the cover off. If you have any questions shoot me an email at remmerts@live.com. BTW, if you would like your bike to scream like friggin banshee, I now have a clutch basket for sale that will be music to your ears :)

Thanks for the input. I've wondered if the clutch baskets were interchangeable, and would cure the whine. I often opined if you could even use the 83-85 basket, and then end up with a 6 spring pressure plate and skip the Barnet conversion.???

I wouldn't use an Impact Wrench on the Main Nut of the Clutch Basket nor would is stress the Tranny and middle Drive Gear with using the rear Brake to hold the Traby Shaft.

A working Clutch Holder Tools is cheaper than a one single Shift Fork, and much cheaper than a Set of Gears ....

I made a Clutch Holder Tool out of Vice Pliers and two Strips of 4 mm Sheet Metall. WOrks just as good and is even cheaper than buying the Tool.

I wouldn't use an Impact Wrench on the Main Nut of the Clutch Basket nor would is stress the Tranny and middle Drive Gear with using the rear Brake to hold the Traby Shaft.

A working Clutch Holder Tools is cheaper than a one single Shift Fork, and much cheaper than a Set of Gears ....

I made a Clutch Holder Tool out of Vice Pliers and two Strips of 4 mm Sheet Metall. WOrks just as good and is even cheaper than buying the Tool.

Need pics:thumbsup2:

I wouldn't use an Impact Wrench on the Main Nut of the Clutch Basket

Please explain how any forces applied to the clutch basket or its attachment nut, could have any detrimental effect on the shifting forks.

Please explain how any forces applied to the clutch basket or its attachment nut, could have any detrimental effect on the shifting forks.

I really saw this coming ... :whistling::whistling::whistling:

To answer your Question, no negative Effect, nada, zilch ....

But these are is the cheapest Parts of the Transmission Clockwork, therefore i used the Shift Forks as Example.

Here's the Holder i fabbed in 20 Minutes

http://www.gkvgmbh.de/imgsq/Tools//Kupplungsnabenhalter1.jpg

http://www.gkvgmbh.de/imgsq/Tools//Kupplungsnabenhalter2.jpg

http://www.gkvgmbh.de/imgsq/Tools//Kupplungsnabenhalter3.jpg

i just bought this bike of a friend of mine, one thing i noticed that this bike also has the chirping sound when you ride what would cause this , to me its annoying, when your trying to hear the radio, maybe im just not used to hearing this sound when cruisin, im used to running my 79 xs 1100 f, that sounds quieter and runs quicker than this baby, ..dont get me wrong about the bike, i always wanted a touring bike but to me she is a little sluggish:backinmyday:and shifting the gears dont seem to glide nicelly either, the bike is sweetl, i just wish it would run that way, thankyou

i just bought this bike of a friend of mine, one thing i noticed that this bike also has the chirping sound when you ride what would cause this , to me its annoying, when your trying to hear the radio, maybe im just not used to hearing this sound when cruisin, im used to running my 79 xs 1100 f, that sounds quieter and runs quicker than this baby, ..dont get me wrong about the bike, i always wanted a touring bike but to me she is a little sluggish:backinmyday:and shifting the gears dont seem to glide nicelly either, the bike is sweetl, i just wish it would run that way, thankyou

On the "chirp".... first thing to try is to lube the rear gear. Might help. If not... one other step is to change the clutch basket to an "I" basket. The gears/splines are straight cut so a misalignment or lack of lube can cause a whine or chirp.

On the "sluggish".... I went from a Virago 1100 and trust me... rev the RSV high and you won't find it sluggish. The V4 needs higher rpm than a v-twin. For example... I'll hit 60mph/100kph + in third before shifting into 4th.

has anybody else tried this? I bought 1st gen clutch basket off of e-bay a week ago, all excited when it arrived. Only to find out it was damaged in shipping. One of the crowns on the basket broken off. Worked a deal with sender got some money back, ordered another one should be here tomorrow.

the clutch basket came in today. Put it in as soon as it arrived. Only problem its raining all day. Will try riding it today. I may also try the six spring pressure plate off of the 1st gen basket. If it fits.

the clutch basket came in today. Put it in as soon as it arrived. Only problem its raining all day. Will try riding it today. I may also try the six spring pressure plate off of the 1st gen basket. If it fits.

The MKI pressure plate will not fit the MKII basket. Barnett makes a conversion plate that will.... I looked into doing this and talked it over with Rick at Buckeye about it way back when. If you use the MKI basket there's no need to go to the Barnett to get the 6 spring plate. So anyone who's thinking about doing this, and buying one off Ebay, make sure it's a MKI clutch.

The MKI pressure plate will not fit the MKII basket. Barnett makes a conversion plate that will.... I looked into doing this and talked it over with Rick at Buckeye about it way back when. If you use the MKI basket there's no need to go to the Barnett to get the 6 spring plate. So anyone who's thinking about doing this, and buying one off Ebay, make sure it's a MKI clutch.

Need some clarification...

Will a Mk II pressure place fit a Mk I basket?

Will a Mk I basket work on a 1999 & Up RSV?

Will an entire Mk I clutch assembly (all inclusive) fit on a 1999 & up RSV?

Will the clutch discs from a 1999 & up RSV fit in a Mk I basket assembly?

In other words, what combination of parts will, and will not work? (maybe best to state what won't work as the list would probably be smaller LOL)

Need some clarification...

Will a Mk II pressure plate fit a Mk I basket?

NO

Will a Mk I basket work on a 1999 & Up RSV?

NOT BY ITSELF

Will an entire Mk I clutch assembly (all inclusive) fit on a 1999 & up RSV?

IT SHOULD

Will the clutch discs from a 1999 & up RSV fit in a Mk I basket assembly?

THEY SHOULD

In other words, what combination of parts will, and will not work? (maybe best to state what won't work as the list would probably be smaller LOL)

MKI clutch assembly should replace the RSV or MKII clutch assembly. Like I stated above we discussed it, but haven't tried it. But unless there's some drastic redesign of the clutch in the RSV's... the same bike that still comes with a tape deck... it should work..... The only way to find out for sure is give it a shot....