Went to my local dealer to transfer warranty, no problem there. Asked service mgr about whine, he agrred that it was anoying. Asked him about I basket he said that at their shop the ONLY thing that got rid of whine was working on or replacing the rear end. Going to make an appointment to have it checked out. He also stated that Yamaha only replaces rear end in about 50% of the cases submitted.

That's fine IF it's the rear end that's whining. If it's the clutch basket, then replacing the rear end won't make any difference IMHO.

There's LOTS of info here on the site about the clutch basket and specifically the I-basket.

I told the service mgr about the forum, and all that was said about I basket. He siad that the whine was definatly not clutch related. He had not listened to my bike at all. Am supposed to make an appointment for them to run a couple of tests on the bike. Then they will talk to Yamaha. Unrelated I have been running in 4th gear 60-70mph getting around 42-44mpg. Running 5th gear same speeds same route to work 30 miles one way 38-39mpg.

I told the service mgr about the forum, and all that was said about I basket. He siad that the whine was definatly not clutch related. He had not listened to my bike at all. Am supposed to make an appointment for them to run a couple of tests on the bike. Then they will talk to Yamaha. Unrelated I have been running in 4th gear 60-70mph getting around 42-44mpg. Running 5th gear same speeds same route to work 30 miles one way 38-39mpg.

I think that I'm on safe ground here when I tell you that your dealer has no idea what he's talking about. It IS the clutch making the whine. It's been known by Yamaha and their dealers for years. The PO I bought my RSV from (original owner) is a retired Yami engineer, and is more familiar with the RSV then anyone I know, and can attest to the engineering attributes of the clutch in how it generates the unique and annoying noise. If the rear end of your bike is making a similar sound, then by all means it needs to be looked at. But when you get it serviced, don't be disappointed when the famous RSV whine is still there.

And you're getting better mileage at a higher RPM in a lower gear? Hmmmmmm......

Very hilly on your commute, or is it relatively flat? Just curious.

If it sounds like the space car in the jetson's cartoon,then it's the clutch.Wouldn't it bee cool if we could put this clutch in a Victory Vision? Then if would sound just like it looks:crackup:Is that what it sounds like?

I think that I'm on safe ground here when I tell you that your dealer has no idea what he's talking about. It IS the clutch making the whine. It's been known by Yamaha and their dealers for years. The PO I bought my RSV from (original owner) is a retired Yami engineer, and is more familiar with the RSV then anyone I know, and can attest to the engineering attributes of the clutch in how it generates the unique and annoying noise. If the rear end of your bike is making a similar sound, then by all means it needs to be looked at. But when you get it serviced, don't be disappointed when the famous RSV whine is still there.

And you're getting better mileage at a higher RPM in a lower gear? Hmmmmmm......

Very hilly on your commute, or is it relatively flat? Just curious.

:confused24: So, can the Yami engineer explain exactly why the clutch whines, and maybe even a fix???

:fingers-crossed-emo

Have appointment for next week, will let you know what they think the problem is. The mileage deal very flat central Iowa. Had a 5 speed car years ago, got better mileage in 4th instead of 5th at regular cruising speeds 55-65. Seemed like when you shifted into 5th you had to press the footfeed down farther to maintain the same speed? I think this may be similar

:confused24: So, can the Yami engineer explain exactly why the clutch whines, and maybe even a fix???

:fingers-crossed-emo

Yes, he can explain it, and no, there is no fix. It is the angle of the cuts in the splines/teeth and the way they mesh that make the whiny noise. But rather than try to paraphrase him, I'll have him email me the technical explanation and I'll cut and paste it here for everyone. Like him and everyone else, I find it very hard to imagine why Yamaha would stick to such a production plan like this if they knew how annoying it is to owners, unless there is someone in Japan who is just convinced that this clutch design is better than all other options, regardless of the resulting noise it makes.

Stay tuned......

Based on what I've read and hear, plus the fact that I've owned an '85 and an '87, there doesn't seem to be any "clutch basket whine" on 1st gen's. Both 1st and 2nd gen's have the same gear design for the clutch basket and matching primary drive gear.

My thinking of this is that somewhere between dropping the 1st gen and producing the 2nd gen, Yamaha changed who the mfg of the gear set was and the new mfg didn't produce a properly matched gear set in all cases. This would explain why some 2nd gen's got the whine and other's don't and why one I-basket fixes the problem and other's simply move the whine to a different rpm. The gear set is not properly matched. Machining spec maybe out a hair or something of the sort or maybe 2 different mfg's are making the gear sets... the primary gear from one mfg and the clutch basket gear from a different mfg.... ?????? (just my personal thoughts on this)

Based on what I've read and hear, plus the fact that I've owned an '85 and an '87, there doesn't seem to be any "clutch basket whine" on 1st gen's. Both 1st and 2nd gen's have the same gear design for the clutch basket and matching primary drive gear.

My thinking of this is that somewhere between dropping the 1st gen and producing the 2nd gen, Yamaha changed who the mfg of the gear set was and the new mfg didn't produce a properly matched gear set in all cases. This would explain why some 2nd gen's got the whine and other's don't and why one I-basket fixes the problem and other's simply move the whine to a different rpm. The gear set is not properly matched. Machining spec maybe out a hair or something of the sort or maybe 2 different mfg's are making the gear sets... the primary gear from one mfg and the clutch basket gear from a different mfg.... ?????? (just my personal thoughts on this)

Yeah, I think you are on the right track. From my experience with my last RSV (the one I put an I-basket in), I believe that it has a lot to do with the clearances between the teeth on the gears. When I first put the new I-basket in, almost all the whine was gone. Within 500 miles some of it had returned. Within a thousand miles, I'd say that 50% of it was back. I then sold the bike so don't know what happened after that. But that experience leads me to believe that as the gears "wear in" to each other and the clearances get a bit looser, we get more whine or chirp. Maybe I'm wrong and there is another explanation, but this is the only one I can think of.

I too have always wondered why the 1st Gens don't have the problem, at least not to the degree that the 2nd Gens do. Same basic engine.....just strange.

Yeah, I think you are on the right track. From my experience with my last RSV (the one I put an I-basket in), I believe that it has a lot to do with the clearances between the teeth on the gears. When I first put the new I-basket in, almost all the whine was gone. Within 500 miles some of it had returned. Within a thousand miles, I'd say that 50% of it was back. I then sold the bike so don't know what happened after that. But that experience leads me to believe that as the gears "wear in" to each other and the clearances get a bit looser, we get more whine or chirp. Maybe I'm wrong and there is another explanation, but this is the only one I can think of.

I too have always wondered why the 1st Gens don't have the problem, at least not to the degree that the 2nd Gens do. Same basic engine.....just strange.

I have a 1st gen with the whine, been driving me nuts for 6 years now, i tryed to get a (i) basket but yamaha would only sell me the (H) basket and said it would take care of the problem,and it did for about 1,000 miles,after that it has just got worse,so now i just keep the rpms above the whine zone.

Mine has started the whine again after going away for about 1500 miles. I switched to Mobil One for motorcycles and added MotorKote, but it did come back. I have the Khrome Werks pipes with turn down tips and I now wear ear plugs and tell people its the "Turbo Waste Gate" (as first noted by another member of this awesome group). It's still the best bike out there for me and I wouldn't trade it for anything....yet.

:rudolf:

Sorry Rick, My G1 85 has the whine, you can hear it around 3000 -3200 rpm and its worse at warmer temps. I gather that its not as bad a some of the g2 bikes, but mine is audible as a Jetson whine (according to my ride friends). On the hot days I do have to turn up the tunes, my HJC full face helmet changes the pitch a bit compared to my 3/4 helmet and helps but its still annoying on a highway ride. If you go to you tube and tpye in kruisn the kootenays and look at a couple of my vids running beside those lakes you can really hear the whine over the wind.

Brian

my 2000 has a whine in every gear at low rpm's. good thing these machines like higher rpms! I hear the whine and i gear down. no need for a tach...

Nothing I would call a whine yet. (1800km and climbing). There is a quiet ticking sound coming from the rear when coasting at low speeds. Can't be heard over the engine noise except at idle.

Nothing I would call a whine yet. (1800km and climbing). There is a quiet ticking sound coming from the rear when coasting at low speeds. Can't be heard over the engine noise except at idle.

Probably your rear wheel hub pins need to be cleaned and lubed..

Sorry Rick, My G1 85 has the whine, you can hear it around 3000 -3200 rpm and its worse at warmer temps. I gather that its not as bad a some of the g2 bikes, but mine is audible as a Jetson whine (according to my ride friends). On the hot days I do have to turn up the tunes, my HJC full face helmet changes the pitch a bit compared to my 3/4 helmet and helps but its still annoying on a highway ride. If you go to you tube and tpye in kruisn the kootenays and look at a couple of my vids running beside those lakes you can really hear the whine over the wind.

Brian

Brian, thanks for jogging my memory (as I've stated before, I have C.R.S.) ... I now recall that same whine on my '85. In fact, at times it drove me crazy when I had to run it around that rpm. Now that I remember, I used to have to ride at speeds at or above 105 km/h just to get beyond where the whine was or drop it down to 4th. I never associated that with the clutch basket at the time. Having said that tho, I definately did not have any whine in my '87.

Hi,

Just arrived here searching the internet about solutions to that horrible noise from the engine in my VStar 650.

I see there is no solution. Just to some people who believe that changing to another yamaha model will avoid the whining, check mine in this video. Sorry for the bad recording, but I was only interested in the sound.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jg7Y7IOQCJQ]Riding Yamaha Drag Star 650 Classic.[/ame]

My 06 has the CHIRP and the WHINE....Iv'e learned to ignore it and drown most of it out with the Baron's 4-2-4 Slip-On's and cranking up my tunes.:cool10:

Boomer....who sez passing a Dairy Queen and not stopping gets the pygmies so riled up they drown out ALL/ANY noise the scoot is making.:whistling:

Hi,

Just arrived here searching the internet about solutions to that horrible noise from the engine in my VStar 650.

I see there is no solution. Just to some people who believe that changing to another yamaha model will avoid the whining, check mine in this video. Sorry for the bad recording, but I was only interested in the sound.

I agree, that sounds really bad and would drive me crazy. What year is your bike? If there is any warranty left on it, I would sure be making the dealer do something about it. I'm sorry that I don't have any great suggestions for you. With the Royal Star Venture, changing the clutch basket is the first step in correcting that issue but I'm not sure on the VStar.

Hi,

Thanks for posting that .... I feel so much better now and will never again complain about my.... uhhhhh .... (compared to yours, I have nothing to complain about).

Sure hope you can do something about that!