IGNORED

Politics, Religion, etc.

Freebird

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would Imagine that there are some of every kind here.

My $0.02 worth.

Some years ago (I have been here a while)(you get my check yet Don?) I posted a Muslim Joke (I'm a Southern Baptist, we don't dance...) I thought it was funny.

A Muslim member in Canada didn't (think it was funny) we got into a heated discussion and the thread was deleted!!!

Long story short, we discussed it in private messages like two adults and in the end i think have a mutual respect for each other now. I harbor no ill-will toward him anyway. even though we don't agree theologically, I think we agree there is room here for both of us. I have enjoyed a lot of his posts.

Most of us are not Atheist, Baptist, pentecostal...etc. But; some of us are.

A lot of us are not republican, democrat, tea partier or independent, ... some don't vote at all and some don't even live in the Good 'Ol U.S Of A.

some are Black, Yellow, White, Olive...Shoot, some are even red skinned.

Some don't care if you love Obama or Sarah.........or Tony Blair for that matter.

You don't have to pray for me; but i wish you would. I would Pray for you. It would be an honor.

I can't save you, in my opinion, only Jesus can do that(John 14:6). That may not be your Opinion, I respect that. I wont "make" you take Him if you don't try to "make" me leave Him.

The best I can do is ask you to forgive me if i offend you (i probably will if i open my mouth) and I promise to return in like kind............

In any event, I think that is the best any of us can do "forgive and forget" That has religious undertones but is not inherently religious...........I think all of us can do that without getting kicked out of whatever group we belong to.

Again,...my post is..."much ado(sp) about nuthing.:cool10:

Guest scarylarry

Most sensible post I have read in a while.... Great write up...

How far are you from Houston Ms.?

I would Imagine that there are some of every kind here.

My $0.02 worth.

Some years ago (I have been here a while)(you get my check yet Don?) I posted a Muslim Joke (I'm a Southern Baptist, we don't dance...) I thought it was funny.

A Muslim member in Canada didn't (think it was funny) we got into a heated discussion and the thread was deleted!!!

Long story short, we discussed it in private messages like two adults and in the end i think have a mutual respect for each other now. I harbor no ill-will toward him anyway. even though we don't agree theologically, I think we agree there is room here for both of us. I have enjoyed a lot of his posts.

Most of us are not Atheist, Baptist, pentecostal...etc. But; some of us are.

A lot of us are not republican, democrat, tea partier or independent, ... some don't vote at all and some don't even live in the Good 'Ol U.S Of A.

some are Black, Yellow, White, Olive...Shoot, some are even red skinned.

Some don't care if you love Obama or Sarah.........or Tony Blair for that matter.

You don't have to pray for me; but i wish you would. I would Pray for you. It would be an honor.

I can't save you, in my opinion, only Jesus can do that(John 14:6). That may not be your Opinion, I respect that. I wont "make" you take Him if you don't try to "make" me leave Him.

The best I can do is ask you to forgive me if i offend you (i probably will if i open my mouth) and I promise to return in like kind............

In any event, I think that is the best any of us can do "forgive and forget" That has religious undertones but is not inherently religious...........I think all of us can do that without getting kicked out of whatever group we belong to.

Again,...my post is..."much ado(sp) about nuthing.:cool10:

Most sensible post I have read in a while.... Great write up...

How far are you from Houston Ms.?

"Enjoy Life, it has an expiration date".........I do like that!

Yazoo County is my home. about 160 miles from Houston, Ms.

Edited by fixit3546
added Mileage

Guest scarylarry
"Enjoy Life, it has an expiration date".........I do like that!

Yazoo County is my home. about 160 miles from Houston, Ms.

Thanks.

I do ride down to Houston everynow and then have friends that live there..

Besides gives me a chance to hop over to lakehill motors..

I changed my signature so as not to offend anyone. Thanks Freebird, very well put my friend. Have a nice day everyone.

Fuzzy :thumbsup2:

Thanx man. I have no idea what your signature used to say, but I am sure I was offended! LOL Glad you changed it - I guess I owe you one. Or not. It all depends. Who knows...

Goose

Thanx man. I have no idea what your signature used to say, but I am sure I was offended! LOL Glad you changed it - I guess I owe you one. Or not. It all depends. Who knows...

Goose

No problem Goose. It said something about the Bible fitting man for life. That is all I will say. Have a good day/night.

Fuzzy

Haven't met you but I see your footprint all over the place and it shows you are a good leader of this organization. I support your position and believe its in the best interest of the VR program that your position remain intact.

If the position of not just yourself but by far the majority of the organization offends someone, then that individual can just skip that thread or, if it means that much, resign.

Folks, last week was very busy for me and I was unable to get online for any extended amount of time. I know that there was a thread deleted and then another thread explaining why that got a bit out of hand also. I'm pretty sure that this one will end up getting deleted also but I feel that I need to respond to some of the remarks made in that thread.

It was voted on by the membership in the early days of this club that political discussions have no place here. This has been discussed MANY times over here but in spite of MANY warnings, they still happen from time to time. It's just human nature that something is going to get under your skin and you just can't control the urge to get it off your chest. I understand that but we ask that you PLEASE no post it here.

There was also a statement made that there are a lot of political statements made under the disguise of jokes. That is true. I've seen it many times. I've seen such jokes aimed at the left and others aimed at the right. I can usually see the humor in them regardless of which side they are from and we sometimes will let them slide for a day or so in the misguided hope that they will not become political debates. They usually do though and then get deleted. It seems that it is getting harder and harder to tell any joke without offending somebody so maybe I just need to add an "auto-delete" function to the joke area. :) Seriously, we try to be fair to both sides and I can promise you that there is no preference given to one side or the other. It simply depends upon the responses. If they are blatantly political, they are typically deleted as soon as one of the moderators see them.

Now there were also a number of comments about religion and prayer requests. The forum rules clearly state that religious debate is not allowed. That rule will always be upheld but I don't think I can remember it ever being an issue. Apparently though there is some confusion regarding what is religious debate and prayer requests. When I wrote that rule, my definition of debate was that there would be no discussion in regards to "does God exist", "Protestants vs. Catholics vs. Islam, etc." "Baptism by emersion vs. Sprinkling, etc." The Prayer Request are was created for those who DO believe in prayer to request them and to receive them from other members who believe. That is NOT debate. There have been a few people here who have stated that they are Atheists. I have seen no instances where anybody asked them why they did not believe and try to convert them. I have also seen no instances where an atheist tried to convince a believer that there is no god. The members here have been very respectful to one another and that is all that is asked.

I did see a couple of posts in this last discussion from one or two people claiming they are "offended" by the prayer requests. I honestly don't understand that. If you don't believe in prayers then simply don't read the requests but why in the world would anybody be offended by it? I'm not going to be offended because you refuse to pray. I just don't get it. Folks, I very seldom draw a line in the sand here because I've always said that this is OUR forum, not MINE but I know that the prayer request area is appreciated by the vast majority of the members here and it is just something that I am not going to change. I don't want to lose a single member here. I know that you can be an atheist and still be a good person of high morals and a willingness to help your fellow members and all are welcome here regardless of their religious beliefs or lack thereof but if you are truly offended by the prayer request area, then I am sorry but it's not going away. Anybody who is offended to the point that they don't feel they can participate here then just send me a PM and I will refund your membership dues.

So, like I said, I will likely have to delete this thread later on because I know it is going to turn into yet another debate but there is really nothing to debate here. We have had the discussions, the members have voted in the past, the rules have proven to work fairly well over the past ...what...8 years? This post is primarily for any new members or visitors who may have questions about these policies.

Thanks,

Don

Don well written, I totally agree. Now my 2 cents.

Life is just plain to short to argue period. Religion, polotics, race, I just dont get it. There is nothing wrong with sticking up for what you believe in, but lets face it, some people just plain like to argue for the sake of argueing. Some people are not blessed (for lack of a better word) with a sense of humor. And I dont mean laugh out loud all the time, but cant always recognize things for what they are. For those people I feel sorry. Those people are just bitter

I grew up in South Dakota, pretty much all German/ Norwegian heritage. Maybe being a farmer I have somewhat of a different outlook. I am an eternal optomist, things are always going to be better tomorrow. When I go into a filling station and see an UFF DA/Ole and Lena jokebook I pretty much am gonna buy it. Beings I have norwegian blood in me, I could be offended. But of course I'm not. But then again being norwegian, maybe i'm not smart enough to figure that out. But in the long run I guess I do have it figured out, because I can make fun of myself in front of a whole bunch of people and it doesnt bother me a bit. Maybe some people could learn from reading that.

Remember,to argue, whatever the topic, a person has to have a narrow mind. An argument is basically trying to force your opinion on another narrow minded person. I'm glad my mind isnt that narrow. My folks taught me years ago to treat people as I would like to be treated myself. That includes talking down at somebody. Which I try not to do. I guess some people should've had my folks as parents. It all boils down to respect.

"But then again being norwegian, maybe i'm not smart enough to figure that out. "

"Remember,to argue, whatever the topic, a person has to have a narrow mind. An argument is basically trying to force your opinion on another narrow minded person. I'm glad my mind isnt that narrow. My folks taught me years ago to treat people as I would like to be treated myself. That includes talking down at somebody. Which I try not to do. I guess some people should've had my folks as parents. It all boils down to respect."

Then again, Maybe, your just smarter than people that think they can change anothers views on Religion, Politics etc... so on and so forth. Tolerance, Respect and being Considerate of others, are fast dissappearing...

I will say one thing on the subject -

Being a non-believer one thing I do feel bad about, when someone gets hurt or has a loss, saying "My thoughts are with you" just doesn't seem as ..... nice? .... or caring maybe? ..... as "You are in my prayers". Just a weird little "something" I've noticed. But having said that, I still find it phoney on my part to say it, so I stick to my weak little "You're in my thoughts."

:2cents:

Being a non-believer one thing I do feel bad about, when someone gets hurt or has a loss, saying "My thoughts are with you" just doesn't seem as ..... nice? .... or caring maybe? ..... as "You are in my prayers". Just a weird little "something" I've noticed. But having said that, I still find it phoney on my part to say it, so I stick to my weak little "You're in my thoughts."

:clap2:

First of let me say "you're in my thoughts" is not little or weak. It is as meaningfull coming from anyone (regardless if you believe in prayer or not), as a prayer is, coming from one who does believe in prayer. Just because one does not believe in prayer, would they care any less, I don't think so. For a hurting indivdual and their family to know you care however you express it, goes a very long way.

I was raised by a very religous Mother and and a somewhat sceptical Father. Wether this is the reason or not I do not know, but I find myself going back and forth wondering, while at the same time two of my brother's are total Athiests and one states he is agnostic. These differences do not come between us nor do we find it phony unles an individual preaches one life style while living another or pretends to be of one belief while with one group and of another belief while with another group. In other words if you live what you preach, regardless of what it is you believe, how can it be phony. Simply respect each others beliefs (as long as those beliefs are not harmfull in any radical way). At the same time offering up a prayer on someones behalf because they believe, and cannot pray for themselves, despite the fact that one does not, certianly will not hurt anyone.

Edited by saddlebum

First of let me say "you're in my thoughts" is not little or weak. .....if you live what you preach, regardless of what it is you believe, how can it be phony. Simply respect each others beliefs (as long as those beliefs are not harmfull in any radical way). At the same time offering up a prayer on someones behalf because they believe, and cannot pray for themselves, despite the fact that one does not, certianly will not hurt anyone.

Well said !

So for those that pray.... it's a safe bet either way if there is a God or not and you pass away. For those of us that don't pray... we may be in trouble !

To each his own and as long as they "walk the talk" then good for them. No one should try to change anyone else but be accepting (or tolerant) of each other and their belief's.

Interesting that this thread has focused on the Religious side of Freebird's thread and very little or nothing related to Politics.

Maybe the reason politics isnt discussed as much, is that there arent as many straight ticket voters anymore. Each party seems to have representatives that arent worth a pinch of whatever. Seems like nowadays you vote for whoever is gonna hurt you the least, not whos gonna help you the most. So less straight line votes. I'm just stating a possible reason, and not trying to fan the flames by saying that. And remember from my previous post, I'm a norwegian who likes jokebooks, and no arguing!!! :rasberry: