IGNORED

keeping count on what gear you're in

naturbar

I have a chalkboard on the dash and write & erase as I go. It's the only way I can remember. :confused24:
This is a good start, but you loose all the historical data.

I just keep the laptop open and record date, time, shift speed, RPM, and road condition in a spreadsheet. This way I can run analytical reports and get a historical perspective on average gear use.

Of course it does get a bit exciting when trying to enter that data while kicking down twice and trying to pass a tandem semi in the rain! But hey, every system has some flaws, right?

Goose

I don't like the surprise either when I want to get out of the way or something.

Once I get a chance I turn on the cruise and set it. Light will come on when in fourth (or fifth). If the light is not on I know I am in one of the first three gears. First is real easy to tell, so are 2nd and third.

Doesn't help much but real easy to pay attention without counting

Brad

+1

I was reading and planning to put in my .02 when I read Brad's post. Light comes on in 4th and OD lights up in 5th. I'm kinda counting 'em down when downshifting, but over 40 years of riding makes it kind of sub conscience.

I just keep the laptop open and record date, time, shift speed, RPM, and road condition in a spreadsheet. This way I can run analytical reports and get a historical perspective on average gear use.

Of course it does get a bit exciting when trying to enter that data while kicking down twice and trying to pass a tandem semi in the rain! But hey, every system has some flaws, right?

Goose

:sign20:

interesting the way others perceive which gear they are in and thanks all for participating in this discussion.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"I agree with both your posts. I never seem to know what gear I'm in and sometimes I get a surprise when I let the clutch out."

The other thing that happens maybe a couple of times a summer, I'm running up through the gears and then forget if I need to push down with the heel or with the toe, hummmm now that gets the revs up pretty good. Seems to happen when I think about what I'm doing vs just doing it.["

BOO.................................

on several occasions i thought i was in 4th gear (actually was in 3rd) and downshifted into second and was unexpectedly surprised..... they rate at which the clutch is released on downshifts is dependent on which gear I'm in. someone mentioned wet or slick roads and knowing which gear you're in is important while downshifting.

Buz

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"I don't like the surprise either when I want to get out of the way or something.

Once I get a chance I turn on the cruise and set it. Light will come on when in fourth (or fifth). If the light is not on I know I am in one of the first three gears. First is real easy to tell, so are 2nd and third.

Doesn't help much but real easy to pay attention without counting"

Brad..................

this is pretty much the same as i do.... i always use my cruise when appropriate.....i wish cruise worked in 3rd gear as well.

Buz

Goose

I thought I was doing good upgrading from an abacus to the chalkboard. You've got me beat by a hundred years Goose. :bowdown:

When I was racing dirt bikes as a young fella I use to do that. But now I just kinda know using all the cues, speed,tach,sound,lights. Very rarely do I not know which gear I'm in. Usually sound and speed alone are enough.

I seem to remember a thread about an LED gear indicator a certain fellow in Ohio was gonna install. I wonder whatever happened????

Hey...I started on that project last weekend. Opened the package, read the instructions and everything. Just not enough hours in the day right now to do everything that needs done before Maintenance Day.

I just listen for the Whine and go from there. If'n you got in in to high a gear she wont whine she'll cough and sputter and slow down. In that case downshift. In other words do what works for you. You only have 5 thats rigtht 5 gears to worry about and once you are rolling your down to 4 to worry about. If your going over 40 your down to 3 to worry about and once you pass 95 you probably have just ONE gear to worry about until you start slowing down. Repeat above....repeat

I would suggest worring less about the gears and pay more attention to that car turning left in front of you.

Become one with your bike and learn its sounds and you'll know withour thinking about it.

1 get er doing

2 get er down the road

3 help me! help me! she tops out at 95 here!

4 good for freeway under 70 lane changes..passing Harleys..etc

5 Crusin Gear!!!! Not to be used on side roads or city streets . Ok If I am under 65mph I may never get here

Remeber the Venture loves RPM's so being in to high a gear can result in less than stellar performance.

Whoo Hoo lets go ride now!!