IGNORED

Replacing rear air shock

Bigfoot

Just wondering if anyone has ever replaced the rear air shock on a RSV? I must have damaged mine putting air in today as it now leaks out. It's amazing how fast it will fill up from 20 to 100 lbs of air. Also, any ideas where to get one at a reasonable cost?

Thanks

Guest tx2sturgis
Just wondering if anyone has ever replaced the rear air shock on a RSV? I must have damaged mine putting air in today as it now leaks out. It's amazing how fast it will fill up from 20 to 100 lbs of air. Also, any ideas where to get one at a reasonable cost?

Thanks

Umm....you didnt use an airhose and compressor, did you??

OOOPS!

You should be using a small hand operated pump, one that has a gauge built in like the ones made by Progressive suspension.

Sorry to hear it. They are EXPENSIVE. It's a bit late now but for good info for others, you should NEVER use the high pressure air lines that are used to air up tires. Everybody should own one of the small Progressive pumps. About $40.00 but MUCH cheaper than a new shock.

As for your question, I've never changed one out. I've had the bottom loose to install the leveling links and I don't think it would be too big a job.

It's not hard to change out the shock if you have a lift. Just remove the rear tire and there are 2 bolts that need to be removed to drop the shock.

The problem is finding a shock. They are out there and they run anywhere from 350 to 600 for stock shocks. The only replacement shock is made by Progressive Works and they are around 680 I think, but they are much better than stock and do not require air. They are made individually for your bike and riding style. If interested contact RickH at www.buckeyeperformance.com

Since the stock shock has a high failure rate I would suggest going to the Performance Works shock since it can be rebuilt.

I would check for leaks first and then decide if I blew a shock. Seems to me that if you blew the air bag in the shock you wouldn't be wondering if you damaged something, you would have heard a bang and the shock would not hold air what so ever. But from your post I gather that it does hold air but leaks kind of fast, so that tells me that you may have an airline leak instead.

isn't that bike under warranty? You are getting a rough ride aren't you? Complain to stealer see what happens!

Why yes it is. Never thought of that. And the air I used was from a very small portable air pump. I've used it before without problems but for some reason it just pumped up fast obviously damaging it.

I am referring to the air bladder/shock on the bottom of the bike and not the actual rear shock. Maybe I'm confusing the right terminology here.

I'm bringing in mine to the dealer this winter... my warranty runs out in May.. I got an 03... My shock holds air but is leaking fluid.. Maybe you should squirt some hydraulic fluid on it and go for a pretty good ride.. I also am going to get my fuel gauge and cruise control fixed before my warranty runs out... Then I'm gonna pull and plug the AIS and paint the bike flat black.

Food for thought...

Check to see if you only blew a hole in the air inlet hose.

Yo umay NOT have blown the bladder of the shock..

You can repair the air inlet hose by inserting a plastic union fitting and two small hose clamps.

Estimated repair: $3.00

Spray soapy water on air inlet hose, all fittings and then add a little air..watch for bubbles...

Good luck.!!

Guys,

Trust me, there is NO air bladder in this shock. What you see is just a rubber boot to keep crap off the large shock ram. And after it stops leaking oil, it will stop holding air. This because the seal has stopped sealing because of small scratches on the outer ram.

Regardless if your bike is still under warrenty, your dealer and Yamaha will replace it. If it's not under warrenty, then the Performance Works shock is a good alternative. Not an inexpensive alternative but one that can be rebuilt and will last for a longer time. But the stock 2008 shock is only $350 (plus shipping) from Flatout Motorcycles and you might find a used one on Ebay if you don't think you will keep it for longer than 5 years.

Hope this helps,

Rick