IGNORED

A world of trouble

Black Owl

I thought we were in trouble when store clerks could no longer make change without relying on their cash register to tell them how much change was due.

Yesterday proved me wrong. I also showed me how much trouble the US was really in.

I have been looking at GPS units for the company vehicles. Given the abuse they would receive and the chances of them being stolen, I don't want to invest a whole lot of money into them. Anyway, I came across a good buy (so I thought) on the Magellan 3100 North America. The price was right, so I purchased one top try it out.

Got it home and found out, to my surprise, that Magellan apparently considered the entire North America to consist of 48 states. Okay, foolish me. So, I figure what the heck, I can upgrade it and down load the maps for Canada. No can do. The 3100 is no upgradeable.

So, back to the store I go. Tell the clerk at customer service I want to return the unit. She asks why and I tell her. This confuses her, and she calls the manager over.

Explain to the manager that I had expected the 3100 North America version to at least have maps of Alaska and Canada. He looks at me like I'm crazy. (I probably am, but that is beside the point) Anyway, he states, will all seriousness that there are only 48 states in North America.

This catches me completely off guard, and I ask him where he thinks Canada, Mexico and Alaska are. He responds by telling me that Canada is a foreign country, and Mexico is in South America. :doh:

Should have realized at this point, that it was a lost cause. But I still tell him that actually Canada and Mexico are part of North America.

To this he responds that he didn't think that Magellan would make that kind of a mistake. And if what I said was true, the high schools were teaching the wrong information. :bang head: :bang head: :bang head:

And this was the store manager.

Anyway, he took the unit back. I went to another store and purchased a Garmin Street Pilot.

:15_8_211[1]:

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest KitCarson
Want to really confuse a "young" store clerk? Give them $20 bill for a $4.67 purchase, wait untill they've rung the $20 in and then hand them 17 cents!

:sign20:

I sat here and read this..........it has me confused, I will try this one!!:sign20::thumbsup:

THE youth of AMERICA--------we's in DEEP DO_DO---------the Liberal RUN schools R turning out dumb down kids---------don't even think of asking'em about things pertaining to founding of this country????????? they r in a FOG-------BUT there is always the exception to this rule-there r Smart-ones:sun1: GOD save AMERICA-------

My father and I stopped at a c-store on the way home from a hunting trip and he put two bags of peanuts on the counter that were marked 3/99 cents and the clerk said you have to buy three bags, dad replied " I only would like 2 bags", the clerk replied," I don't know how much only 2 bags would be". Dad just turned and said lets go.

These youngsters need our help !

Who's in charge around here anyway !!!!!

:detective:

Gary

How many include Washington DC as a state? Don't even bring in Puerto Rico or any of the other "territories" the US has! On the subject of coin change, give a clerk the exact change and then ask them for the "exact change discount", and see how long it takes!

:rotf::rotf::rotf::rotf:

Dan

I bought Gas at a Chevron Station, in Olympia Wa. last Week.

Went into conviencence store there to get a cup of Coffee.

At last min. I asked for a pack of Cigs !! The lady got them, then

asked to see my ID !!!!!!!

I asked her if I appeared to be about 65 years old to her, and she said " yes you do "

I then told her she could keep the pack of cigs . Paid for the coffee and left.

I bought Gas at a Chevron Station, in Olympia Wa. last Week.

Went into conviencence store there to get a cup of Coffee.

At last min. I asked for a pack of Cigs !! The lady got them, then

asked to see my ID !!!!!!!

I asked her if I appeared to be about 65 years old to her, and she said " yes you do "

I then told her she could keep the pack of cigs . Paid for the coffee and left.

:rotf:I think I might have kissed her for that!!

On the ID for cigs thing........some of the new cash registers require they slide the ID before it will allow them to continue with the sale of the cigs. Safety measure to make sure they get 100 % compliance out of their clerks.

But yes I agree we're in trouble. Couple years back on a bike trip to the rockies, we had one of our younger riders (college graduate) convinced that when you hit the Rockies...you entered a new time zone. Rocky Mountain Time. And needed to re-set your watch......you turned it back a 1/2 hour!!!! He didn't wear a watch, and for some reason his cell phone didn't recognize "Rocky Mountain Time Zone" so he'd keep asking what time it was and we'd ask him what time zone he wanted......Mountain or Rocky Mountain Time!!!!!

Sitting around camp, having a few adult beverages one evening we finally decided to straightened him out..........we just about fell out of our chairs laughing so hard.

Rocky mountain time.......He will never be allowed to forget it either!:rotf::rotf::rotf::rotf::rotf:

Erns

I feel your frustration Russ, the majority of those folks couldn't find their way out of a bag with 2 openings in it. And these are the kinds of folks that elect world leaders...you are right, this country is doomed :(
hey brad, you are right on.like i said i'm glad i'm as old as i am,and have no kids to worry about.the next generation is in big trouble,and don't know it.just have a ball and please try to make it to eureka springs with cheese cake.did you hear that sweetnothin.bill :clap2::clap2::clap2::2133:

Guest KitCarson
My lunch was $6.10

Handed the cashier $10.10

She looked at me as if I was trying to rip her off..

She set my dime on the counter, and gave me back $3.90 cents...:think:

Hi ya Eck: You did not sneak up on her right!! I have two sets of 17 cents lying on my desk for tomorrow........will stop and bye coffee and pull that trick.....if the coffee is $1.10, will hand her a dollar and a nickel, then sneak the 17 cents in :rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:Tomorrow should be fun!!