IGNORED

Disability Permit Help

Aussie Annie

I emailed the U.S. consulate in Canberra, to ask if my ACROD disability permit would be recognised in the states. Answer was:

"please check with each state you will be passing through :yikes::yikes::bang head:

Crap! gonna spend more time checking that out than touring.........

HELP:crying: can anyone find out over there please?:bowdown::bowdown::bowdown:

[copy is of old permit]

I think if you have a disabled permit with the blue wheelchair symbol on it displayed, even one from Australia, that it will be honored everywhere.

Although a disabled permit on a motorcycle will get looked at twice I expect...

btw, I see cars with out of state plates on them and blue stickers using the handicapped parking. I don't think US drivers have to get a special permit for every state they visit. if thats the law, it doesn't seem to be enforced anywhere.

A LEO may want to comment on what I said which is just my observation.

I know somebody that has an official state issued motorcycle plate with the handicap symbol...........

As Randy said, people here go into other states and surely don't carry a permit for each one.

I'd think that if the permit is issued by the same government as the plates you'd be all set.

I would agree with the others here. Once you have a handicap license plate, placard, or sticker then any and all states will reconize it. Even when crossing the borders between Canada & the US.

I know in our experince going from state to state or into Canada we've never had any problems when parking in a handicaped parking space. Our cars has the handicap plate and sometimes on the bike I'll use a placard.

Personally I think most leo's wouldn't bother you if you have a proper plate or whatever showing you qualify for parking in handicap spots.

Larry

I cannot provide legal advice, nor do I pretend to actually know the details of the handicap parking laws in all states, but I'll give you my thoughts anyway.

First, if your permit is current and actually issued to any person using the specific vehicle, it will be completely legal, no matter what the vehicle is or where it is registered. One of the main reasons for moveable permits is so the handicapped person can take it with them to different vehicles. If the permit is issued for a specific vehicle instead of just for a specific person (such as a license plate), then it must only be used on that vehicle. And even with a valid handicapped plate on the vehicle, it is still not legal (or appropriate) to park in a handicapped spot unless the handicapped person is currently in that vehicle.

Now in general, I do not think anyone ever looks too closely at a vehicle in a handicapped space if it is displaying any type of handicapped placard. A handicapped plate on a motorcycle is a little more problematic only because many people do not see it or even look for it - they see a bike in a handicapped spot and just assume it should not be there. But you would never get a ticket with a valid handicapped plate on a bike.

I have handicapped plates on both my truck and my bike. I occasionally need to ask people to look at the plate on the bike, but that is the extent of it. I have an old, expired, out-of-state mirror placard that I use when I drive my wife's car. That placard is clearly NOT legal for use in a handicapped spot (because it is expired), but I use it anyway simply because I know I am otherwise authorized to park there, I do not want my wife's car to have permanent handicapped plates, and I know that just seeing a blue mirror tag with a handicapped symbol on it is sufficient for just about anybody looking. I have never had a problem using that old placard. Doesn't mean I won't have a problem with it tomorrow, but it supports the idea that you won't have any problem either, ESPECIALLY since your placard won't be expired!

Goose

Here in California parking enforcement is handled by a private organization. Originally it started out just checking for handicap violators, but has become a cash cow and they are now checking for all violations. However I'd say that if the handicap sticker or placard matches the state or country of the vehicle then they'll probably pass it by. Besides, if you get a ticket are they going to chase you all the way to Australia to try to collect on it....??

:cody

A good hint was that it would be wise if the permit was issued by the same state as the tags on the trike.. It should be easy to get someone here to help in the contact and see if you can get a temporary issued... that removes all doubt.

Thanks everyone...feel better about it now. As stated above, my permit is "mobile" for use with any vehicle I'm travelling in [or on!]

So when in a car I will hang it from the mirror.:thumbsup2:

I have stickers ready to go for the new trike.

They are of the blue international wheelchair symbol, and I will put one on the screen, and one on the rear of the trike. [that's what I do here] I will carry permit in the bike and show it when asked. Not willing to leave it out on the trike...someone might think they need it more than I do! :yikes:

I'm a detective now but when I worked uniformed patrol if I saw the blue wheelchair symbol thats all I looked for. I doubt anyone has time to be reading the fine print (although your mileage may vary). Welcome and enjoy your trip! Let me know if you'll be in the Washington DC area!!

:cop:

My parents used to winter down in Mesa AZ and had the Canadian Issued wheelchair sticker on the license plate and mirror hang tag in the car and never ever had an issue in the US even though it was issued in Canada. They travelled all over most of the lower 48 using the handicapped parking spots because of my fathers breathing issues and no one brought up any concerns.

Brian

Edited by friesman

Here in WI., the placard that hangs from the mirror i NOT "valid" on a motorcycle or scooter. I don't really understand why seeing as how it it supposed to be valid on any motor vehicle, and a motorcycle is in fact a "motor vehicle". The only explanation I got from the DMV when I mentioned the law was rather discriminating, was that it was to easy to steel if it was on a bike. Which doesn't seem to be a good excuse seeing as how I have seen them on convertibles and vehicles with the windows open. Heck, if someone wants it bad enough, they'll break a window anyway. The only option for me was to get a HC plate.

Bill

I think if you have a disabled permit with the blue wheelchair symbol on it displayed, even one from Australia, that it will be honored everywhere.

btw, I see cars with out of state plates on them and blue stickers using the handicapped parking. I don't think US drivers have to get a special permit for every state they visit. if thats the law, it doesn't seem to be enforced anywhere.

A LEO may want to comment on what I said which is just my observation.

I see bikes with disabled permits all the time.....if the Doctor signs the application they will give you the permit/plate!

Just a comment, my Mom uses the HC card in SC and has never lost one to theft, but her friend, over the years, has had 3 taken from her vehicle . Mom said she was told DMV will start putting the HC person's picture on the placard. I think that's a good idea.

MIKE aka Uturn

:Venture:

In the town that I live in (in New York State) the issuing entity puts the last four digits of your drivers license on the mirror tag and that person is the only one allowed to use the tag. The tag can be used in any vehicle that the person is in. The fines are very steep in this town for using a tag that doesn't belong to you. $500 for a first offense and goes up with subsequent tickets. We have a full time meter maid that has the authority to check your identity. My wife has a HC tag and I never use it unless she is in the car with me.