IGNORED

How many gen1's??

islandmech

I've got a 83 standard that running pretty good but still has a few quirks. I've got new diraphrams on order hopefully they will get it running right. It was setting up for 6 years before I picked it up. Thanks to the tech help on this site I've got most of the items fixed.

I have a donor bike I took floor boards and heel toe shifter off. The shift is now backwards. does anyone out there know the right way to correct it? Do you need to turn the linkage between the two shift shafts over? And if thats the answer do you access that linkage throught the left side transmission cover or do you need to drop the exhaust crossover?

Again thanks to all that have given the tech information in the past. This is a great site and some great people. :322:

Yes, having done the exact same thing, your linkage where it goes into the cover is exactly 180 degrees out of phase!! It is attached wrong!! No, it does not go straight across with the linkage, I thought the same!! The linkage goes on an angle!! Think about it and it will finally make sense, it did for me!!

Was kind of neat having it backwards though!! As was poi9nted out to me it makes it a little more theft proof being backwards...

Photo to follow...

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am on my second one.

First was an 84, PO had everything chromed on it, even swing arm.

This one is titled an 83, but probably has something from most of the years they were made.

It has been slightly modified.

Its even got a Harley backrest on it.

Gary

Well, my brother is riding my 83 (147,000 miles with 2nd gear redo and frame changed with an 84) and I'm riding the 89. Now it has 45,000 miles on it, but it only had 30 when I bought it 2 years ago. Sure hope that somebody comes out with a bike that fits me as well as first Gens do before they're all used up.

Guest Swifty
Got my 88 last year and put 4000 miles on it. I can't remember when I have had this much fun with my clothes on.

an 86, that I've put on more miles and had more fun on than I can remember with my clothes OFF.

I've got an 88 Standard with 122,100 miles on it (I put 73,600 miles on it), oh ya it's my second 88 Standard (I put 33,000 on the first one), both the same color Salt Lake Silver/Gray, but 8 years apart.

There's two 83s in town so add these three to the total.

Mines a 90 Royale! Love it! Has some broken plastic and an oil leak from the stator that has eluded me thus far! Replaced the gasket twice and yes I did use RTV sealer around where the wires come through! But as I said I LOVE IT! She ain't no trailer queen!

:mytruck1::rotf:

I have a 86, it had 15K on it in 1991 when I got it and 128K now. I am only putting about 1K a year on it for the last 5 years. My bad hip likes riding the RSV more than the 86 VR. When I get the hip replaced I will be putting a few more miles on the 86.

Heel toe shifter is not the best idea for a 1st gen,,, it tends to break off the bearing in the stator cover. Sorry for the info,,, but that's what happens.

Yes, having done the exact same thing, your linkage where it goes into the cover is exactly 180 degrees out of phase!! It is attached wrong!! No, it does not go straight across with the linkage, I thought the same!! The linkage goes on an angle!! Think about it and it will finally make sense, it did for me!!

Was kind of neat having it backwards though!! As was poi9nted out to me it makes it a little more theft proof being backwards...

Photo to follow...

Thanks guys. On the first "quote" the bearing was broken out of the donor bike I took the shifter off of the bearing was seized up. I really like the shifter and I'm pretty gentle with it.

On the second "Quote" which linkage gets turned over the front one or the rear? It did not look like there was enough room to "flip it over". Also do you access this by draining the oil and then removing the left rear motor cover? Or do you need to drop the exhaust?

By the way I met a guy yesterday with I believe he said a 90 model venture that he has turned the odermeter over 4 times. Lives in Pearland Texas and rides with the Blue Knights. Told him about the site. Hope he joins in.

Thanks for the information and the help, guys.:322:

Thanks guys. On the first "quote" the bearing was broken out of the donor bike I took the shifter off of the bearing was seized up. I really like the shifter and I'm pretty gentle with it.

On the second "Quote" which linkage gets turned over the front one or the rear? It did not look like there was enough room to "flip it over". Also do you access this by draining the oil and then removing the left rear motor cover? Or do you need to drop the exhaust?

By the way I met a guy yesterday with I believe he said a 90 model venture that he has turned the odermeter over 4 times. Lives in Pearland Texas and rides with the Blue Knights. Told him about the site. Hope he joins in.

Thanks for the information and the help, guys.:322:

You need to take off the middle gear cover, to take off the stator cover, which has the shift shaft coming through it at the bottom right as you face the bike from the left side, which is the left side as you are sitting on the bike, unless you are facing the back of the bike while sitting on it, then it would be the other left side,,,,,,, anyways, the shift shaft has a knuckle on the inside of the stator cover and it needs to be in the UP position. It likes to be in the down position, but that is wrong and leads to a very hard stator cover install,, it will go on but needs a lot of help,,, if done right, the cover should slip on quite easy like.

You need to take off the middle gear cover, to take off the stator cover, which has the shift shaft coming through it at the bottom right as you face the bike from the left side, which is the left side as you are sitting on the bike, unless you are facing the back of the bike while sitting on it, then it would be the other left side,,,,,,, anyways, the shift shaft has a knuckle on the inside of the stator cover and it needs to be in the UP position. It likes to be in the down position, but that is wrong and leads to a very hard stator cover install,, it will go on but needs a lot of help,,, if done right, the cover should slip on quite easy like.
Don't listen to him!! It's the "front" one. I'll go take a picture...

Don't listen to him!! It's the "front" one. I'll go take a picture...

Marcarl I think I see what you a talking about on the back side of the case. I looked at mine and the knuckle is already up. this is on the front shaft. What I'm seeing looks like there is not enough room to turn it down (on the inside). Here is a picture of my heel toe shifter. bongobobny, yours is still a shift lever like what I took off. With the heel toe shifter it is a direct connect to the shaft, that why the shift pattern is backwards.

Thanks again for the input.:322:

Ahhhh!! different from the heal toe on my 2nd gen!! TRhe 2nd gen, which BTW I am adapting to my 1st gen, still has the linkage piece on it like the regular shifter!! It pivots in the same place as the stock shifter. Haven't gotten around to seeing exactly how well it is going to work yet. I do have a 1st gen H/T shifter squirreled away so I will look at that one!

I stand corrected, Mr Norg!! My appologies!