IGNORED

Took the bike out yesterday and it pops and backfires on decel

I know there is quite a bit of info on this, but yesterday when I was out riding for the first time this season and on my new to me 2004 RSV, it popped and backfired on deceleration. The air filter is clean and I changed the fuel filter. I think tomorrow I will sync my carbs.

Anyone have any suggestions on what else I could do that might possibly stop the popping and backfiring? It isn't bad, but it is still there.

Thanks in advance

Chris

Depending on how much popping and back firing it's doing, it would sound like you have a blocked or clogged jet (possibly)..

I had a similar issue last summer while on a road trip.. The bike would idle OK, and run fine on the highway but when I would come off the throttle to slow down I would hear the think backfiring etc.. Turned out the pilot jet was clogged.

What led us to find that was that one of the jugs was not firing at idle.. the exhaust port was cold. But when you turned up the throttle, the other jet would kick in and all would run fine. Luckily there was a decent dealership that took the time to look at the bike and drain the carb, which fortunately dislodged what ever it was clogging the jet.

not sure if this is what is happening with yours, but check to see that all jugs are firing in idle..

Mine did the same thing. Old gas from last Fall.

I put half a can of Sea Foam in the tank, went for a 100 mile ride and now the bike is fine. I'm on a second tank of normal gas and still no popping.

craigr

Dumb question on this point. I usually use no more than 2oz of Sea Foam per gallon when I run it. Is it possible to overuse Sea Foam, and can too much added to a full tank hurt anything??

Dumb question on this point. I usually use no more than 2oz of Sea Foam per gallon when I run it. Is it possible to overuse Sea Foam, and can too much added to a full tank hurt anything??

Bobby,

If I have issues that need Seafoam I use the entire can in a full tank of fresh fuel. Run it so it fulls the carbs and bowls up completely and let it set atleast over night or a few days if you can. Let it do it's magic and you'll be surprised how well it cleans.

Thanks for the information. I will run a tank or too through it and see how it is and perhaps some Sea Foam although I'm not sure where to get it in Canada.

Chris

Canadian Tire carries it here in Regina, And its spin off stores Auto SOurce does too. I also saw it in bumper to bumper in Wainwright AB.

Brian

OK here is my high tech suggestion. Besides the seafoam there are four little rubber cap thingys on little nipples, one on each carb. If one of those gets the smallest little crack from being dried out, your going to back fire when you let off the gas. You can pick those up at most auto supply stores. Keep and extra in your tool kit. They do dry and crack. :) :bowdown:

OK here is my high tech suggestion. Besides the seafoam there are four little rubber cap thingys on little nipples, one on each carb. If one of those gets the smallest little crack from being dried out, your going to back fire when you let off the gas. You can pick those up at most auto supply stores. Keep and extra in your tool kit. They do dry and crack. :) :bowdown:

Good reminder!! I've seen these so loose they almost fall off. Should be a tight fit. If they are loose they will leak.

Unless you have taken the AIS off there are only 2 of the plugs ("rubber cap thingies"). The other 2 have hoses. I believe LR (#1) and RF (#4) cylinders are the plugs and LF (#2) and RR (#3) have the hoses.

Unless you have taken the AIS off there are only 2 of the plugs ("rubber cap thingies"). The other 2 have hoses. I believe LR (#1) and RF (#4) cylinders are the plugs and LF (#2) and RR (#3) have the hoses.

OK so where are the rubber nipples or cap thingies located on my RSV? Are they beneath the bike, beside the carbs?

Chris

What is the diffrence in the AIS pop/backfire you get and when you have a real problem such as bad gas, vacum leak etc...

Fact 1: The 2nd gen will absolutely NOT pop or bang on deceleration in completely stock trim unless something is WRONG with your bike.

Fact2: The Air Induction System (AIS) is a passive system that reduces pollution without impacting the performance or economy of your bike in any way.

Fact 3: The AIS WILL cause popping and afterburn to start sooner if something DOES GO WRONG with your bike. In this way it acts like an early warning device that something needs to be fixed. That "something" can be either an exhaust leak, vacuum leak, carb problem, or ignition problem.

Considering the above three facts, IMHO, doing anything to disable the AIS is about as intelligent as putting electrical tape over your low oil warning light because you just don't want to know there is a problem with your bike! :no-no-no: (Yes, I know that no one in this thread suggested tampering with the AIS, but I just could not help myself with that comment! ) :big-grin-emoticon:

The main point of this post is simply to stress that any and all popping and banging on deceleration on this bike indicates a real problem that needs to be addressed. The details on the possible causes and how to find them are included in exhaustive details in older threads. If interested. look for posts by me with the key word "afterfire".

Goose

OK so where are the rubber nipples or cap thingies located on my RSV? Are they beneath the bike, beside the carbs?

Chris

They are between the cylinders on the boots that the carbs sit on. They have a scissor clip on them.

A picture is worth a thousand words. :) In stock configuration, there will be one on each side. If the AIS system has been removed, there will also be one on each side where you see the hose connected.

Thank you! I checked and mine are all good no cracks or deformities.

A picture is worth a thousand words. :) In stock configuration, there will be one on each side. If the AIS system has been removed, there will also be one on each side where you see the hose connected.

Oh no!!!! You didn't bring up the "AIS being removed" question again, did you? It's on now!!! Somebody pass me the popcorn!!!!:rotf::rotf::rotf:

I feel cheated now, both RSV's I have owned have had the occasional popping on a hard decel and I had couple of the the local Venture Owners plus the PO of one of the bikes tell me it was normal on an RSV. I can equate one to the drilled out RK mufflers, I will have to dig into the new one to see why it does it. The PO gave me all the maint receipts, however I did not see any carb synchs listed so I think that may be the culprit.

Fact 1: The 2nd gen will absolutely NOT pop or bang on deceleration in completely stock trim unless something is WRONG with your bike.

Fact2: The Air Induction System (AIS) is a passive system that reduces pollution without impacting the performance or economy of your bike in any way.

Fact 3: The AIS WILL cause popping and afterburn to start sooner if something DOES GO WRONG with your bike. In this way it acts like an early warning device that something needs to be fixed. That "something" can be either an exhaust leak, vacuum leak, carb problem, or ignition problem.

Considering the above three facts, IMHO, doing anything to disable the AIS is about as intelligent as putting electrical tape over your low oil warning light because you just don't want to know there is a problem with your bike! :no-no-no: (Yes, I know that no one in this thread suggested tampering with the AIS, but I just could not help myself with that comment! ) :big-grin-emoticon:

The main point of this post is simply to stress that any and all popping and banging on deceleration on this bike indicates a real problem that needs to be addressed. The details on the possible causes and how to find them are included in exhaustive details in older threads. If interested. look for posts by me with the key word "afterfire".

Goose