IGNORED

Rode 165 miles on a tank today

rumboogy

This past weekend our STAR chapter (Provo, UT #431), took a ride and I got 226 miles on one tank riding one-up and without any extra gear. When I did stop to fuel, I had to triple-check the numbers because I never get that kind of mileage. Typically, I ride two-up, carry lots of stuff, and drive too fast. Last weekend, I road a lot slower and wasn't carrying a passenger or extra weight. Here are some pictures if you like:

Be Safe!

Pete.

I mostly get 43-44 MPG so I easily go to 200 miles on a tank.

NOW if I run over 75 MPH the miles per gallon go way down.

I also mostly run on reserve.

I have seen some claims of up to 50 MPG but I can't say I have ever ridden with anyone that got that kind of gas mileage.

If you can't make it to 200 miles running 40 MPH you need some adjustments.

BOO

I may be riding too hard. I get 145 before having to switvch to reserve at which i cant keep a steady mind and feel that i need to gas up. then get upset when the tank only takes 3.9 gals. i should have 1 more gal to go which should give me a solid 40 more mile or 185 total

I had a strange think happen yesteday I looked at my trip readout and I had went 175 miles and the fuel light still had not came on, it did not come on till I was pulling in my garage at 190 miles, must be the heat because I usally go around 160 before the fuel light comes on.

On our recent trip to PA, we left for home on Sunday morning and used the two lane roads through the mountains (scenic route) till we gassed up in NY prior to hitting the superslab for the last bit home. With two up, the bags and trunk loaded and a bag on the rack, and running at or slightly over the speed limits, we averaged 52 mpg Canadian or about 43 mpg U.S. Given the terrain and how loaded up the bike was, I was quite impressed. Of course, a run at interstate speeds would probably drop that, but it's still pretty good for a loaded up, big bike. I'm happy!

I rode yesterday. 95 mph to a friends house 25 miles away then leisure cruise to anothers house 25 miles away.

We did hairy twisties that had me keep the rpms way up to use engine breaking before one turn and full power when comming out of another.

i had to back off because this guy knew the road and I was trying to pick my heart out of my throat.!:puzzled:

Not to mention that I had to lose my pride and tell the guy i couldnt keep up.I was a little pissed when he said he went twice the speed last week. A Hole. This road was his local ride. of course he knew every turn.

Anyway ill stop ranting.

i got 45 mile to the gallon at fill up.

I decided to top off at 104 miles and only used 2.3 gallons of fuel.:clap2:

Leesson learned. keep the rpms up. the bike will thank you.

l;ulgging around with some harley buddies I only get 40 mpg. And I dont try to emulate them I just dont like the look I get when My bike is winding out and they are putting along.

Guest tx2sturgis

Riding on a tank for 165 miles. OUCH!

:whistling:

My scoot:

212 miles, 2.9 gallons.

73 mpg.

Not the Venture....the Roketa!

And check out the pics of the Roketa 150 parked alongside a HD Roadking. Which one of the bikes LOOKS bigger?

Surprising. Even to me.

• 2 years later...
Riding on a tank for 165 miles. OUCH!

:whistling:

My scoot:

212 miles, 2.9 gallons.

73 mpg.

Not the Venture....the Roketa!

And check out the pics of the Roketa 150 parked alongside a HD Roadking. Which one of the bikes LOOKS bigger?

Surprising. Even to me.

I used to ride a CF Moto 250 to/from work a few years ago. Kept running logs of all fuel purchases on my android. After 9500 miles, before I sold it, the average mpg for the entire odometer was just over 73 mpg.

Larry, Tippy and I ride a Honda Helix ALOT when we are not on the Venture,, gets excellent MPG.. We bumped into the Terry Hershner (sp) out in Utah last year, he is from California and was crossing the country on an electric motorcycle.. Got talking with him and found out he was on his way to meet up with his friend - Craig Vetter of Vetter Fairings to head to a "who can get the most out of a gallon of fuel contest" in Ohio.. Terry said that Vetter had designed his streamlining kit for his electric bike.. When I mentioned how much I love my Helix for its MPG, he was telling me that Vetter competes on his Helix and, thru streamlining and some clutch work has gotten over the 150 MPG mark on it.. Said that those scooters like you mentioned, the CF250, were also very capable...

DSCN8764.JPG

DSCN8777.JPG

DSCN8781.JPG

Now I am worried, I might be really lean, I have never in 8K miles gotten less than 200 out of a tank. I normally burn the REALGAS found at http://www.buyrealgas.com/# It's 96 OCT. No Ethanol, So I add a little Upper Cyl Lube to it like Lucas Gas additive, or MMO whatever I have on hand.

http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d139/usmcxterra/20130805_125818_zpsaee830f8.jpg

Picture for the non believers.

And I don't recall ever putting more than about 4.5 gallons in it. I want to ride it out to empty just to see where it does run out and how much it takes! Have to do the old carry the Gallon in the trunk thing pretty soon.

If you belong to the AMA you get the fight to keep Ethanol out of our tanks.

Edited by IronMike

I see that I commented on this post in 2011 with a rstc now I have a 99 venture abd ib am getting approx 42mpg. I ride till 178 miles and I was getting nervous that I never put the petcock back to fuel from res.

....nope it was good. I pulled into the gas station at 178 and put 4.2 gallons.

Floats set at 8mm, valves done, New plugs( not iridium) .pms set at 2 1/2 turns.getting decel afterburn, but I think that is due to a leaky exhaust

what are you guys riding? I've had two RSV's and a RSTD 90% or my riding is in town commuting and I'm lucky to get 35MPG closer to 32MPG most of the time usuauly hit the reserves at around 125 to 135 miles then fill up on the way home so no idea how far reserve gets me. I never put more than 4.6 gallons in the bike ever!

I would say thats about my average 165-168 per tank. I dont usually have the mileage up on spedo. Its usually on the clock so dont pay much attention until either the light comes on or it go's "cough"

Just got in from a ride this evening and still had one bar left and had put 178 miles on the bike. Usually, when I have one bar left and getting ready to start blinking, it will take about four gallons and that would be about 44mpg, which is about right. Most of the riding was 2-up on two lane twisties and like that, the V-Max rear doesn't seem to hurt mileage.

RandyA

low fuel light comes on at 180 to 200 miles, ten miles or so have to switch to reserve, have gone 260 to empty but tht was intentional and was carrying spare gas, just to check how far I could go if needed. if I fill up when the light comes on I can only put in 4.5 gallons

2007 midnight

Al

Larry, Tippy and I ride a Honda Helix ALOT when we are not on the Venture,, gets excellent MPG.. We bumped into the Terry Hershner (sp) out in Utah last year, he is from California and was crossing the country on an electric motorcycle.. Got talking with him and found out he was on his way to meet up with his friend - Craig Vetter of Vetter Fairings to head to a "who can get the most out of a gallon of fuel contest" in Ohio.. Terry said that Vetter had designed his streamlining kit for his electric bike.. When I mentioned how much I love my Helix for its MPG, he was telling me that Vetter competes on his Helix and, thru streamlining and some clutch work has gotten over the 150 MPG mark on it.. Said that those scooters like you mentioned, the CF250, were also very capable...

ZOINKS, It looks like you met up with Scooby Do with the Mystery machine in the pictures :rotf: