IGNORED

Smoke Damage

Phoneman1981

We use a product at work for removeing smoke damage from truck interiors after interior fire damage that works real well. But, i will have to post the name of it Monday night as I don't remember what it is called. The only thing I remember from when our cleanup guy used it, was that it was developed for this sort of thing and that it was citrus based. It worked great and when the interior of the truck was back together there was no hint of a smell at all.

Edited by saddlebum

We use a product at work for removeing smoke damage from truck interiors after interior fire damage that works real well. But, i will have to post the name of it Monday night as I don't remember what it is called

Hello: Thanks for the info. I will look for another post tomorrow night.

Does anyone have experience or thoughts with removing heavy smoke damage from a motorcycle? Thanks in advance.

Simple green 75% wash

White Vinegar in a vaporizer to neutralize the odor. For the bike I'd put it in a tent with the vaporizer for a few days.

Both of the above worked great on my daughters car after she set it on fire with a cigarette butt that flew back in the window landing on a blanket and smoldered while she worked for 6 hours. :rotf:

I could offer some help but it would help to know where the smoke come from. Was it in a room filled with smoke from a woodstove, or the garage burnt down, or the bike caught on fire?? On painted surfaces, leather, chrome???

Neighoring storage units burnt down. Shared walls. Heavy smoke damage on all surfaces of the bike. Windshield, chrome, tank, seats. No heat or water damage. bike runs fine.

Simple green 75% wash

White Vinegar in a vaporizer to neutralize the odor. For the bike I'd put it in a tent with the vaporizer for a few days.

Both of the above worked great on my daughters car after she set it on fire with a cigarette butt that flew back in the window landing on a blanket and smoldered while she worked for 6 hours. :rotf:

Thanks for the hints.

Neighoring storage units burnt down. Shared walls. Heavy smoke damage on all surfaces of the bike. Windshield, chrome, tank, seats. No heat or water damage. bike runs fine.

Id begin with a nice "warm" soapy bath with dawn unscented dish soap. You would be amazed at how it works. This is what I would consider secondary smoke so it is just smoke that "settled" onto the surface without being "set in".

If the dawn dont yield the results you like (which it should) their is a super line of products from WINSOL that will do anything you need. Google Winsol for locations on where to buy in your area.

Be sure to provide a good wax on paint and chrome, and treatment of any leather items after cleaning.

Have you tried calling your insurance company yet. I would have my insurance company call the insurer of the burnt building. Thier fire caused damage to you bike so they should be liable.

Its like If I run my rain gutter in a way that the water leaks into your basement and floods it out, My insurance will have to cover your damages.

Oh, I also used a cleaner you buy at Dollar Tree stores, it's called "Totally AWESOME" and it is. This stuff is a great cleaner.
Yes, we use that stuff around the house and for the money, it really IS awesome!!

The windshield may be permanantly tinted, same as the paint. I would take the suggesrion about contacting your insurance agency as well as the victim's company and possibly the owner of the storage facility...

I agree with finding out what the insurance the neighbor and the building owner have.

There is most likely a clause in your lease that the building owner is not responsible for the contents.

I agree with washing it first to see what will come off. Do it soon. The longer it sits the harder it is to get off. Be carefull while washing the smoke off, depending on what was burning the smoke residu can be very abrasive and you could end up scratching the heck out of everything.

Even though your unit did not get hot enough to melt anything, I may have still been quite warm in there. The heat can bake on the smoke. Worst case should be a new wind screen an having to buff all of the paint and chrome.

Good luck

What, did you let the smoke out of your wires???

As Ben mentioned, there are some really good commercial products out there. Depending on where the damage is, denatured alcohol may work, and so will 409, Fantastic, etc...

Ditto on the 409. It contains Butyl Cleaner, and cuts through a lot of crud. The stuff has a distinct odor and once smelled is easily recognized. The big draw back is the cost. The cost of Butyl in 409 vs. a gallon of Butyl concintrate is rediculous. You'd be much better off buying a gallon of Butyl and mixing it with detergent. If the job is small then 409 is the way to go.

• 4 weeks later...

I just wanted to thank everyone for their support and ideas. After several weeks in the shop, my bike has been restored to pre fire condition. Celli's Cycle Center gets all of the credit!! They did a fantastic job. I learned they did use the "Totally Awesome" cleaner and a lot of elbow work to restore the bike. A parts were replaced due to yellowing and some due to lingering smoke smell.

Farm Bureau insurance was wonderful to work with.

Weather permitting, I intend to ride the bike away from the dealership this morning!!!!!:cool10: