IGNORED

Exhaust Fumes in the Cockpit

Slab Pig

My RSV is the first bike I've had that has a windshield and I'm constantly smelling/breathing exhaust fumes, pretty much at any speed. My wife days she can't smell anything from the back seat.

I have an aftermarket shield that kinda slopes more vertically toward the top. The previous owner installed a Goldwing vent in it, presumably 'cause he was experiencing the same issue.

Does anyone else have this problem? Any ideas?

My RSV is the first bike I've had that has a windshield and I'm constantly smelling/breathing exhaust fumes, pretty much at any speed. My wife days she can't smell anything from the back seat.

I have an aftermarket shield that kinda slopes more vertically toward the top. The previous owner installed a Goldwing vent in it, presumably 'cause he was experiencing the same issue.

I have never experienced the problem. what year is your RSV? I am thinking you have a bigger issue:crying: or a really sensative nose.:rotf:

Hey RoadKill,

I can smell pizza from a mile away, but that's it.

Well, as long as you cannot decide if the Pizza is either a Ham or Vegetable, there is nothing wrong or sophisticated with your Nose .... :rotf::rotf::rotf::rotf:

just kidding ...

Probably one of the Exhaust Seals on one of the front Cylinders is bad ??

Hey RoadKill,

It's a 2001. I was thinking that myself, a bigger problem...bummer if it is.

I can smell pizza from a mile away, but that's it.

If I had to guess, and that's truly what it is, because anyone that knows me will tell you I AM NOT A MECHANIC, is header gaskets, pipe leak or too rich setting.

I get a tingling sensation when a BBQ joint is nearby :rotf::rasberry::thumbsup:

If you can't find it, you might have to get one of those carbon monoxide detectors we used in airplanes and put it on your instrument panel. Don't want you passing out going down the road!! :rotf::rotf:

Could be wind currents coming up from the back, but most likely you have a leak in your exhaust, but the pin holes in the bottom are for leaking out moisture and that wouldn't cause the problem, do not plug these up. Try a can of seafoam to clean the carbs and then see what happens.

I would have guessed the same as others.

What does it look like around the carbs, if dirty could it be a float levels could they be set too high.

Maybe just dirty carbs and seafoam could help this.

A vaccum line maybe cracked, pinched or not on properly.

Just to throw a few things at yah.

Spear, I doubt it is Methane, Reiny Rooster is not the driver or passenger. :sign20:

Brad

I have the same problem on mine. Sometimes its so bad it will make you sick, and my clothes smell from it also. The MPG is in the low 40 range, the exhaust is clear, and inside of pipes are a nice light brown. But the exhaust smell is there and sticks. and I smell it more slowing down. I'll look for the leaks at the weld and see what i see.

I'm not sure about the cause of the exhaust smell, but the leaking Y pipe joints are a common problem (especially prevalent on 05 and 06 models). Both of mine were leaking enough to discolor the chrome shields with exhaust gas deposits, but I never smelled it while riding. These joints are not welded, just crimped, and the picture in the other thread referenced above shows exactly where they leak.

Freebird had the smell problem big time last summer riding out to Fort Collins. We searched everywhere for exhaust leaks, but didn't find anything significant except one Y pipe. We fixed that with JB Weld and it almost completely solved his problem.

One other suggestion for you is to check the Air Injection System. A lot of owners disable/remove this because they think it is the only way to solve the popping/after-fire problem (not true, but a common misbelief). If the previous owner did this and did not properly cap the connections at the exhaust ports, you could have a leak there. Also, even if you don't have an exhaust leak but the AIS is disabled, this might be causing your smell problem. The AIS is supposed to inject air into the exhaust system to allow the unburned hydrocarbons to burn before they pollute the air, so without it, you could have a particularly smelly exhaust? Just a thought, as I have never done a before/after comparison (I do not disable my AIS).

If you do not have an exhaust leak..., I suggest you remove the gas tank cover around the ignition switch and see if the gas tank "vent"hose is securely connected / properly...

If it is, continue to remove the gas tank entierly of the bike.

once the gas tank is off the bike, you can see the TOP side of your engine / carbs...look for dampness.....

Take and move the gas tank out away from your bike..

Your bike will still start and run for about 2 minutes...

(gas is still in the carbs).

Start your bike up and watch all around the top of the carbs for leaks..

Get your "sniffing nose" in gear and sniff around the top of the carbs..again, look for & watch for dampness

You just might find a carb screw needs tightened to seal a gasket, or the vent hose was not securely in place....

Good luck!!

• 1 year later...

Well here's the skinny on the fumes.

I bought the bike from the second owner with 10500 mls. I noticed "fumes in the cockpit" immediately. I lived with it. Over a few months, the fumes diminished, little by little, until one day, I was riding and noticed they were completely gone.

@ 30k, my clutch starts to slip. It starts slipping more and more, until I can't stand it any more. So I replace all fibers and replace the diaphram spring with a Barnett coil spring. BTW, GREAT post on the clutch on this site.

The ball hex key wouldn't do the trick on those lower screws on the clutch cover and I'm a cheap bstrd, so I didn't want to spring for Snapon's stubby hex key set. So I take the header off.

What I find is a dent in the chrome cover just before the header bolts to the head. So I'm thinking that someone's been here before, right? Anyway, I think that when the header was replaced that the old header gasket was re-used.

So I think it was the bad gasket that caused the fumes. I'd get on the bike and smell all this blow-by. The more I rode it, the more soot and carbon built up to plug the holes in the poor seal made by the re-used gasket. After 10K or so, the fumes are gone, finally sealed.

When I put the header back on, I replaced the header gasket with a brand new one.

No fumes.

Good to know, I sometimes smell the exhaust but I always assumed it was because of the airflow over the Clearview shield. Mostly smell it during the Winter when I have the Yamaha lowers set up for blocking the wind. When I open them up and allow the wind across the engine no more smell.

BTW thanks for going back and closing out your original post. I know it took some time, but you found the problem and others of us now have someplace to look.

Good job.