IGNORED

I'm BACK !!!!

rsstar

In case you haven't noticed I have been away from the site for a little over a month. Actually it's been closer to 2 months but like I said, who's noticed. Well, I just felt like I should explain. By the way, some of you will remember me as "Mississippi" from the vogel ride-in. I was riding drag for group 2. Anyway, in Sept. my wife and I took a 10 day road trip to South Dakota. It was the first vacation we've had in over 3 years. It was really nice; we got to see all the attractions and then some. took back roads up there and did some pretty empty country but it was still nice. took the interstates home except for the stretch between springfield Mo. and Memphis. I like the drive thru Ark. It goes right past where I used to live.

Then, on 8 Oct I left for West Virginia, for the Fall ride with the Venturers. I know many of you are like me, spend time on both sites. great people on both sites. Anyway, the ride-in lasted until Sunday, the 14th when most people headed home. On the 13th we road to the New River Gorge bridge and also road down to the river and then across the old bridge. Then we went to a barbeque place for dinner. After dinner we headed back to the hotel in Beckley. Unfortunately, I didn't make it.

Right afterI got back on Hwy 19, a 4 lane divided road, there was another group of bikes (not our group) in the right lane. They were approaching an intersection and evidently wanted to turn left but had almost missed the turn as they were almost stopped in the right lane. As I approached in the left lane I saw that they all had their left turn signal on. I backed off the throttle and continued in the left lane. Just as I approached the intersection either the lead bike or one near the front pulled out left in front of me evidently heading for the left turn lane. I slammed on the brakes and steered to the left, not knowing if the rest were going to follow. Evidently he didn't see me and continued to the left turn lane where I hit him. Luckily, just before we collided I was able to turn my bike sideways so I didn't hit him with the front tire. We pancaked, my right side to his left side. I left the bike and rolled down the median some ways. My bike, after hitting him, fell over on the left side and slid some ways. So both sides had heavy damage. almost all of the plastic was either cracked, broken or scraped badly.

I wound up seperating my right shoulder and banging up my left knee. Spent two days in the hospital in Beckley during which time my son drove up and picked me and the bike up. On 23 Oct I had surgery on my shoulder and started therapy last week. Xrays showed nothing in my knee broken but it is really bothering me so I had an MRI done this past Sunday. Don't want more surgery but hope they find out what's wrong. Bike is totaled; they were supposed to pick it up today but when the guy called last night he got upset when I told him I had removed accessories, including my pipes, with the consent of the adjuster. He is from some place in Alabama and I guess he is going to try to rebuild the bike. I was going to do the same but they wanted over 4k for salvage value. Parts would run at least 10k so I decided it wasn't worth it. Anyway, got my check for the bike and came out pretty good. It was an 06 with a little over 18k.

Oh yeah, this is the kicker....the guys' friends got together and 6 of them made written statements that he was ALREADY in the left turn lane, and it appeared I was trying to pass him on the LEFT !!! And the Fayetteville police BOUGHT IT !!!! So far though, the police haven't sent me any suprizes.

So, that's my story. Won't be doing any riding for awhile. 3 weeks ago I said I would never ride again but can't lead a sheltered life and enjoy living. So right now it's a maybe. What bike will I get?? Don't know that yet either. I'll probably catch hell with all of you but I am leaning towards an Ultra. But like I said, no decision right now. Anyway, it's good to be back and I'll be lurking around. By the way, I just want to say that the people I was riding with were wonderful. A couple of them were with me at the scene and kept me as calm as possible considering the awful pain and then many of them went to the hospital and waited until late that night until I was out of the ER. One couple even stayed an extra day until my son got there. Didn't want me to be alone. I know this group of folks on this site would be equally as concerned and helpful. That's why I am so happy and proud to be part of thses two wonderful groups. You may meet the nicest people on a Honda but Venture riders are true friends !!!!!!

Guest KitCarson

So what are you doing in Razorback territory anyway!! I used to live very close to Fayetteville Arkansas. Sorry about your accident, it can happen. Please do not shoot me.......just learn from it, that is how we all learn to be wiser the next time. Car, bike, truck......with its signal on......I do not trust them at all.......in this case I would have just moved to the right lane and let them go......miss my turn......hey I am in no hurry, I can turn around and come back. As for them getting together and telling tales........what else is new? You can expect that one.

About five years ago one of the kids in the sub-division we used to live in got a new bike. This boy was about 14. He would rip this thing as fast as it would go, past kids......around and around the circle!! Everyone knew it, I even talked to him about it once. Anyway one day my wife was at the four way stop waiting on another car to pass and this boy came ripping up to the stop, lost it....slide up under the front of my wifes car. I still like to tease her about running over a biker!! The police came......photos were taken......the witness made their statement.........over with we assumed, no damage to the car but a scratch or too........big deal who cares....kid had some road rash and a busted up bike.

4 months later, out of the blue......we were served with a summons to appear in court........we were being sued!! His parents had gotten other cronies to swear to this and that........even had affidavit statements.......my wife was very worried. I wanted to go choke them all!! It never came to much.....judge just read the police report and looked at the photos and dismissed the whole thing. But people will do stuff like this....yep they sure will.

Hey no one will yell at you for buying a Harley.......not on this site.....you will catch a lot of teasing.......but is all in good fun. Actually, the newer ones are now very reliable........gear box is a little lame, old time technology , but if you like the back roads and a lazy day........they are certainly nice. Take Care..........Kit

Glad to hear you're going to be OK. Wanted to comment about the 6 who swore the guy was already in the left turn lane.... seems to me you were in the left DRIVING lane....well, if the guy was in the turn lane, why would anyone be trying to pass him? Seems to me that maybe, by the time you laid it down and hit him, seeing as you'd moved over as far left as possible, when you hit you were both either at or into the turn lane?? Regardless, the guy did an illegal lane change IMHO. You didn't mention how he is?

Kitcarson; the accident was in Fayettville West Virginia.

silverT; The other guy had a bruised/cut elbow. Did NOT go to the doctor. Female passenger went to the hospital to have hip checked. I was told it was only a flesh wound, ie. bruise.

I asked the insurance adjuster that if I was in the left lane going straight, and he WAS already in the left turn lane, WHY did I slam on my brakes and steer right into the left turn lane. And if he was already there Why didn't I hit him in the REAR of his bike??!! They only said that he had 6 witnesses saying the same as him and I had none saying the same as me. Well, I since do have a witness on my side but the insurance company is reluctant to fight it. Just doesn't make sense to me !!!!!

rich, sorry to hear of your accident. hope you recover ok quickly. i took several accessories off my bike before they came got it too. ins co dosen't pay for accessories so they belong to you. hope we can meet and ride together again, no matter what you get. let me know if you come up this way, don.

Guest KitCarson

Hey I had half of it right:rotfl::rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:. Main thing is you are okay.......as for folks in accicents.........the insurance company, all that, it sure is aggravation time!! But somewhat good for us don't ya think!! We would all like it to go smooth.......but somehow......seem to thrive on argument!!

Just a hint to everyone........you can save money sometimes using these smaller insurance companies........(not saying yours is small-not singling you out-just saying) I carry insurance with an Exellent local agent with State Farm. I have never had a problem with them at all, even when it is totally my fault. I was fixing a water main, going back and forth in the drive way covering up the ditch with the backhoe........the homeowners friend came over to see him and I was not paying attention and he parked his car right behind me while I was on the forward roll..........yep, he now has a backhoe bucket in his front seat........all the agent did was laugh at me and take care of things. Instantly. He wanted to know if I have fallen off my bike yet!! Kit

Glad you're OK! You mentioned that some of the people you were riding with stayed with you at the scene. From that I figured that you would have some witnesses. That should help.

And hey, excrement occurs! Don't give up riding, just watch a little closer.

Glad you're okay. And how daggone red of them. What happened to the biker brotherhood?

I hate to say it, but they are brotherhooding to their friend so it doesn't go on his record. I wont even get started on it as it will go south fast.

Sorry to hear of the whole deal, group riding can be fun, but it's a lot of work. There are many times that I just enjoy riding with folks that I know well or just being solo.