IGNORED

Who rides all year and how far north are you?

1joeranger

I travel to work day in and day on my 05RSTD! I'm only grounded during ice on the road otherwise rain, snow, or heat doesn't matter I'm riding. Like my old Sergeant use to say "There is no such thing as a rusty Ranger!"

Just curious on who also rides all year and how far north do you live?

The Maine picture was where I lived as a kid in Loring AFB, Maine. Actually did not ride then.

I've ridden in the middle of January before. But then that was an unusually warm winter and there hadn't been any snowfall yet. I've also been caught in a couple bad snowstorms that were a little unexpected.

On Monday morning on my way to work there was a guy riding a bagger heading in the opposite direction. We had record snowfall the weekend before. The roads looked dry, but what about the side roads, driveways, and parking lots, etc.? I certainly wouldn't be riding with all the salt that's all over the roads just waiting for some chrome to pit up.

I'm in the northern part of the west central WI. by the way.

Bill

I ride all year, including in the snow, but I'm in London, so the snow doesn't tend to last too long. To be honest, if it's snowing and I have a choice, I don't always choose the bike, except the cars form traffic jams so easily, so if I want a chance of arriving anywhere it just has to be a bike. Then again, this year nearly everything I had to get to was cancelled because of the snow anyway !

I ride to work, church, stores every day in Oconee County, South Carolina. My wife has a four-wheeled vehicle. I don't - just the RSV. if there is snow or ice on the roads (only once or twice per year here), then I work from home. Winter temps are in the teens and twenties, with maybe one morning in single digits. Summer days go to the low 100's. Most of these commuting rides are about twenty minutes long. When it's cold, I dress for cold. I also have heated gloves and just bought a heated jacket liner.

The heated jacket liner purchase was driven by a recent ride from Florida to home (12 hours). Temps ranged between 23 and 48*F. After that amount of time, cold wind soaks through many layers and the body just gets tired of trying to generate it's own heat. Now I'll probably wear it even on short rides and I will be spoiled.

Sandyville WV.

Ride any temp above 35, as log as snow and ice aren't present.

With my Spyder ski jacket, leather dickie(no pun intended), multiple layers, bibs, ski gloves, foot warmers and Sorel boots. I'm good to go.

Got my wife to sew a pouch perpendicular on bottom of my socks under the ball and toes of my foot to hold the 1 1/2"w x 3 L foot warmers. Good for 6-8 hrs. SweeeeeeeeeeeeeT!

One can buy a whole box of these for .50 apack around the end of February and they will last for years.

Will probalbly get her out tomorrow as its suppose to be 55 deg and sunny.

Now if my Morgan carb tune would just get here...

I ride year round, but here in upper south Ga it's really cold if it get's down in the 20's. I don't mind coming home in the rain but sometimes I'll think twice before leaving home in the rain, especially this time of year. My bike was parked for a whole week a couple of weeks ago because I had the stinking crud. My co-workers think I'm crazy, and for the most part..., they're right!!!

I ride every day of the year ... wind, rain, cold, snow, blizzards, hurricane, you name it... doesn't matter... I still RIDE .....

(but most of it is in my dreams... :rotf:)

.... the real riding only happens if it's 10 or better celcius and clear! (I'm such a wuss! LOL)

I ride all year - just live in North Texas now, so that's not too hard, but the six years I lived in Omaha did take some adjusting!

My motorcycles are my PRIMARY, and preferred, form of transportation in almost ANY conditions - that means every day to work with almost no exceptions (until I retired a couple of years ago). Rain and cold is not really a bother, but snow can get touchy, and ice is just nasty in any vehicle. I will admit that in Omaha I stuck with the sidecar rig when there was ice on the ground snow in the forecast. Even the family rode all year - we always enjoyed taking the bike to get the Christmas tree, made it a special adventure every year.

Goose :thumbsup2:

I'm near Seattle & ride almost every day. The only days I don't ride are when it's cold enough to make ice & it's wet. Don't like the idea of 2 wheels on ice. Cold & dry: I ride. Cold & rain: I ride. Hot: I ride. I have ridden in light snow conditions, hail, wind, etc. I've ridden close to 11K miles this year & took no trips this year. I figure that's more than most bikers in this area of the country, even if they've taken an extended trip. With my Motoport/Cyleport Kevlar Mesh riding gear with liners & my Warm & Safe heated gloves, I'm good to go.

I ride all year, but not when wet/icy/salty, or much below 30 degrees (f). So far this winter it has been horrible "riding" weather here in Central IL. Streets, with snow/ice patches, and salt on the roads.

Will be 45 today and maybe 60 tomorrow, but rainy, and there may still be icy patches even with two days of warmer weather. Worst is my driveway is fairly long, and shaded, so ice stays on it longer than city streets, and I would hate to crash within sight of my garage!

Still, hoping it rains and cleans the roads Friday, and is dry enough for my New Years Day ride. I will go, if streets are safe and I can get out of my drive, no matter what the temp, at least around the block!:snow:

I ride all year, but not when wet/icy/salty, or much below 30 degrees (f). So far this winter it has been horrible "riding" weather here in Central IL. Streets, with snow/ice patches, and salt on the roads. ---

Still, hoping it rains and cleans the roads Friday, and is dry enough for my New Years Day ride. ---

Same here, and I am located in Toronto. Keeping my fingers crossed for a ride on New Year's day as it will be warm enough to ride but the current forecast is also for rain.

I ride year round on any day the temperature is above freezing. Like today... only JUST above freezing, and watching carefully for frozen water patches, but rode in the bright sunshine (rare) in beautiful Vancouver, BC, Canada!

So I think Panjandrum is our most northern all year rider that we heard from so far!?

I've been camped out here in Chattanooga, TN while my daughter attends college (then I will be taking my happy rear back to paradise in Destin, FL!). I can really relate to my GA, TN, SC, and NC cousins who responded to this thread.

I almost, almost, rented a house in the nearby mountains here and have been so glad that I didn't. Last year was tough on me getting aclimated. This year I have these wind breakers on my handlebars http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/NATIONAL-CYCLE-HAND-DEFLECTORS-Yamaha-XVZ1300-RoyalStar-/360330440415?pt=Motorcycles_Parts_Accessories&hash=item53e55e2edf and I have some great gloves. I'm not going through that frozen finger painful defrost again!

My co-workers think I'm crazy to! I am! I just smile and reply Hey if I can make it in here to Lowe's in this mess so can everyone else!