IGNORED

Pickup truck related-Dodge

Sylvester

I changed my oil and noticed a lot of sludge on the filler cap. This is an 02 Dodge Ram 1500 with the 4.7 V-8. That was about 2200 miles ago and I added 7.5 oz. of SeaFoam to the oil when I put it in. I also installed a new PCV valve. The truck has 126.5K miles now and I have never had a problem with it.

Question:

Can I continue to use the SeaFoam with each oil change or should I change from dino oil to synthetic? And would either of this make any difference?

There is a forum that really blasts this engine for too small journals and cylinders dropping out plus engine seisures with low mileage, but I have never had any problems other than the sludge starting to build.

:farmer:

In my personal opinion....

If I owned a truck with 126.5K miles I would stay with the oil I have been using.

I would NOT go with synthetic oils of any nature.

My Silverado has 199k and it has never seen synthetic oil and wont as long as I have it.

If I began using synthetic oil when I first bought my truck, I would have continued with synthetic oil to this day.

In other words, I do not recommend changing types of oils now that you have 126.5K miles on your truck.

As far as switching to a synthetic oil, I did around 75k miles. Mainly because I put about 2500-3500 miles a year on my truck. It may set of a week or so before being cranked and I only have to change the oil once a year. I just rolled 100k and have not had any issues with the engine.

Does this sludge have a milky color?

Also, like Eck says... don't switch oil from dino to syn in "mid-stream".

No there is no milky color. I use Valvolene oil and change every 3,000 miles.

What about using the Sea Foam every change for a while at least?

not an expert, but I would think if you dump a can in and run it awhile before you change your oil, it would help clean out the gunk,, I wouldn`t run it in my new oil.

No there is no milky color. I use Valvolene oil and change every 3,000 miles.

What about using the Sea Foam every change for a while at least?

I changed my oil and noticed a lot of sludge on the filler cap. This is an 02 Dodge Ram 1500 with the 4.7 V-8. That was about 2200 miles ago and I added 7.5 oz. of SeaFoam to the oil when I put it in. I also installed a new PCV valve. The truck has 126.5K miles now and I have never had a problem with it.

Clean the filler cap well and keep an eye on it. As long as the sludge is limited to the filler cap there is no reason for alarm. You are doing a good, routine maintenace, so there shouldn't be any cause for concern. :080402gudl_prv:

Hey Jim,

Unfortunately, that 4.7L Dodge engine has had more that it's share of problems. If you have 126.5 thousand miles on it, you have done better than most. The big problem with this engine is that the intake manifold leaks allowing water into the oil. Now I am not saying that you have this problem but things that you should check are, Do you have to "top off" the over flow bottle with antifreeze regularly? Do you see steam coming from the exhaust pipes after start up? When you drain the oil, is it milky at all? The fact that you are seeing a collection of sludge in the valve cover, filler cap area is nothing more than a reflection of the mileage on the engine AS LONG AS you are not mixing coolant with the oil! The reason the other forum talked about the low mileage seizure of these engines is directly related to the intake manifold leakage. I have had really good luck changing the intake manifold gaskets on these motors BEFORE the leakage becomes so bad that it contaminates the engine oil to the extent it causes an engine seizure. As far as the Seafoam goes, you are Supposed to put the Seafoam in the engine, run it for a short period of time, then change the oil. You are NOT supposed to add the Seafoam, and leave it in the engine for the life of the oil change. I personally have NEVER had good luck changing from Dino oil to synthetic oil in a high mileage vehicle of ANY type! The problem I have seen is that weepage of the gaskets takes place and an engine that would otherwise be dry, becomes a "leaker". Some people have had NO problems, but alas, I am not one of them. Modern day Dino oil formulas do an excellent job of lubricating your engine and with regards to the sludge build up in the valve cover area of your engine goes, If you do not have the aforementioned intake manifold leak, then this is just a sign of a need for a valve job in the future. The "blow by" from the valve guides and valve seals is churning the oil that is pumped to the top of the engine to lubricate the valves and rockers. Not an ideal situation, but pretty normal for an engine with the miles on it that you have.

Earl

Hey Jim,

Unfortunately, that 4.7L Dodge engine has had more that it's share of problems. If you have 126.5 thousand miles on it, you have done better than most. The big problem with this engine is that the intake manifold leaks allowing water into the oil. Now I am not saying that you have this problem but things that you should check are, Do you have to "top off" the over flow bottle with antifreeze regularly? Do you see steam coming from the exhaust pipes after start up? When you drain the oil, is it milky at all? The fact that you are seeing a collection of sludge in the valve cover, filler cap area is nothing more than a reflection of the mileage on the engine AS LONG AS you are not mixing coolant with the oil! The reason the other forum talked about the low mileage seizure of these engines is directly related to the intake manifold leakage. I have had really good luck changing the intake manifold gaskets on these motors BEFORE the leakage becomes so bad that it contaminates the engine oil to the extent it causes an engine seizure. As far as the Seafoam goes, you are Supposed to put the Seafoam in the engine, run it for a short period of time, then change the oil. You are NOT supposed to add the Seafoam, and leave it in the engine for the life of the oil change. I personally have NEVER had good luck changing from Dino oil to synthetic oil in a high mileage vehicle of ANY type! The problem I have seen is that weepage of the gaskets takes place and an engine that would otherwise be dry, becomes a "leaker". Some people have had NO problems, but alas, I am not one of them. Modern day Dino oil formulas do an excellent job of lubricating your engine and with regards to the sludge build up in the valve cover area of your engine goes, If you do not have the aforementioned intake manifold leak, then this is just a sign of a need for a valve job in the future. The "blow by" from the valve guides and valve seals is churning the oil that is pumped to the top of the engine to lubricate the valves and rockers. Not an ideal situation, but pretty normal for an engine with the miles on it that you have.

Earl

Thanks and noted. I changed the oil again at 2250 miles after driving it to Dallas, TX and back. It had the Sea Foam (7.5 oz.) in it for the whole trip. The oil was very clean, the filler cap was clean, and the motor ran flawlessly. I understand that I may have a shorter life engine than some but this 4.7 is running very well. I had a Ford 4.6 that ran 240 K miles.

I appreciate all the input.