IGNORED

What size laptop fits the trunk?

gunkylump

While on vacation this past September, we encountered lunchbag letdown in some of the hotels we stayed at in regards to internet usage. Or in other words, we had to pay for internet time, while anyone with a wi-fi set up was good to go...FREE.

You've already gathered I am of Scottish descent.

Sooooo, we decided that we should purchase a laptop for our next vacation, amongst other uses.

Time to pick your brains a bit, as I am also a wee bit lazy as well

What size laptop fits in the trunk of a second gen? Is the trunk the best place to carry it, or in a saddlebag better? I seem to remember Kregerdoodle mentioning that a 15" is all that would fit in the trunk....I think...it seems like a lifetime ago that we were in Texas.

Any experience with this out there?

Thanks

gunk:Laugh:

I used to carry a 15 inch in a case but it took up too much room. I even have a huge 17 inch Lenovo laptop that fits back there but without the case. I bought a few months ago a small netbook and it carries fine in the trunk even in the case. I believe the netbook is either 10 or 11 inches. Kind of small but once I got used to it then it was fine for travel purposes. I'm travelling to Arizona for work here next week and I think I'll just take the netbook.

Howdy Gunk,

I have a 12" that I am happy with. Remember you will have to have a good case to carry it. That alone will make it bigger to carry. The case needs to be big enough for all your accessories as well. Charger and other stuff.

Have fun shopping for one.:snow2: Ti's the season.

I have carried 2 15" laptops in my trunk.

Ok .....your asking why? Well I took my laptop to work (road the scoot that day). My mom came to the shop that same day and gave me back a new laptop I gave to her last year for Christmas that she said she did not use. So I had 2 laptops to take home. I also had a broken down 16 AR15, a micro chest harness with 3 AR mags, 3 9mm mags, and a small Bleeder Blowout pouch. 2 baseball caps, small can of Pledge with 2 micro clothes, and a bunch of old gas receipts! And still had a small amount of air space to boot.

BEER30

I have a Dell Studio 17 and when carried in the case ( executive type zip up breafcase) it is too big to fit in the trunk, if I want to carry anything eles in there, maybe my case is just too big. But I thing I will get one of the small 10in. less expensive types to take on the bike.

I have a DEll 17" laptop from work and have a back pack for it. Fits great in the trunk! I wouldn't carry a laptop in the sidebag. Too much movement, not just from bumps but side to side with corners. Would have to have padding.

I use a 10" netbook. got it last year at black friday sale for less than $200. with a seven hour battery it lasts a day or two till next charge. And at $200 I won't have heart failure if dropped/stolen like a $500+ ipad or notebook. I have all my mapping/GPS, picture/video, topo, email, browser software. I only use it for the bike. Does everything I need it too, also mp3 music files.

I have carried 2 15" laptops in my trunk.

Ok .....your asking why? Well I took my laptop to work (road the scoot that day). My mom came to the shop that same day and gave me back a new laptop I gave to her last year for Christmas that she said she did not use. So I had 2 laptops to take home. I also had a broken down 16 AR15, a micro chest harness with 3 AR mags, 3 9mm mags, and a small Bleeder Blowout pouch. 2 baseball caps, small can of Pledge with 2 micro clothes, and a bunch of old gas receipts! And still had a small amount of air space to boot.

BEER30

BEER30...Your real name isn't Al Kaeda is it? :big-grin-emoticon:

BEER30...Your real name isn't Al Kaeda is it? :big-grin-emoticon:

Well my first name is Al........., but no Kaeda. At the shop, we make tactical nylon gear for LEO and Military. Since I ride the scoot a lot, I have to bring in my firearms, mags, etc.... to make pattern for. Then on occasion, I go out to a private facility to do some bang-bang or to take a tactical shooting course or perhaps a 3 gun shoot.

You should see other shooter's faces when I show up on the scoot and start pulling out weapons out of the saddlebags and trunk :scratchchin: . I was riding one day last week when a local deputy passed by me and saw my with me pistol on my side (open carry is legal in NC). He decided to pull me over anyways. I showed him my Carry Conceal permit and that not only did I have my pistol, but 2 AR carbines in the saddle bags. He couldn't believe it , so I showed him. He laughed his arse off and grabbed a business card. We now have an appointment with the SWAT team next week.

You really can put a lot in these saddle bags and trunk!

BEER30

I have an Acer 10" Netbook and it fits great in the trunk. Lots of room and it was cheap to purchase, about $220. It has an 8 hour battery and can connect anywhere I get a wi-fi signal. I use a soft sided case and have had no problems with it. Plus if it breaks or is stolen, I'm not out a lot of money. I also have an iPad but won't take in the bike because of cost. I can do everything with my 10" Netbook that I can do at home with my full size computers (I have four laptops at home). My 10" Netbook goes with me everywhere, everyday and I have had it since they first came out. The only problem I have with the 10" Netbook is that I have a hard time typing on it because the keys are smaller and closer together and I have a tendency to hit two keys at the same time while I am typing.

Just bought the wife's Christmas present - a Panasonic Toughbook CF-51. 15" screen, magnesium alloy case, military shock rating, etc. It should be a good travel laptop since it won't need an extra case. Ebay, refurbished for $238. We shall see how it holds up.

In the next issue of the Iron Butt Magazine there will be a discussion on travel laptops. The author has been soliciting advise from folks that have 100,000 miles carrying a laptop. I don't qualify (yet) as a source.

RR

If the unit is going to be mostly for traveling and not a replacement for an everyday computer then a netbook is an excellent choice. Some of them have solid state hard drives which means they would stand up to much more abuse (bumps, vibration, drops etc). That would be my choice if I was buying for travel purposes but after saying that I have a Macbook 13" and take that with me whenever we travel. I made a pouch out of bubble wrap to help shield it. It fits fine in my trunk and I have a mkI which has a very small trunk.

We're traveling right now in FL, gulf coast area.

I got a Acer 10" this week at Target for $180. Not bad for the $$.

This is easier than toting a full sized lap top.

But this is just for fun and communications on the road.

I wouldn't make it a primary PC.

Yes, get at good padded case, not just the little $12 sleeve.

Mike G in SC (well, FL right now)