IGNORED

I don't know, Please help

My venture started leaking fuel from the left rear carb, the other day. the shops is telling me I need to replace, all the guts, in all four? neddles, floats?

do they have to be replaced?

do they wear out this fast? or can they just be cleaned?

sounds like your dealer is trying to earn some extra warranty cash. Most likely though it's just a plugged up orfice or a stuck float somewhere in the carb. I believe this is a common problem in the left rear carb.

Yes, on both parts, the bike starting back firing, afew blocks from the shop, and YES there was gas lines (runs) coming down behind the right air intake.

what should I tell the shop? Just clean the Carbs?

The tank was also low on fuel.

and from another post (If you have a stuck float, the overflow hose should route the gas to up by one of the air filters). IT DID

Does the Floats go Bad?. ( The gas that was in the tank was filled in Harrison Ark, the week before) I trailered the bike home

Edited by Brake Pad

Wait a minute,,,,,wait one danged minute. You mean a dealer is volunteering to do a major overhaul on ALL the carbs UNDER WARRENTY.....without a fight? On their dime?

Oh man.....times are tougher than I thought. Or they know something they aren't telling us.

But I'm with Bubber on this one.

Weird

Better get conformation on it being warranty work. The ethanol in gas will gum the carbs and Yamaha does not cover that under warranty. If you wait until the work is done and then try to get warranty, you may be left holding the bag especially if they do a complete rebuild on the carbs.

What a bunch of hog wash . Sounds like Their wanting to stick it to you big time!!!!!

I cleaned a few carb's in the past one was a 1980 Kawasaki 440 LTD set in the barn for 12 or so years covered in tow sack's and feed bags plus chicken crap needles to say it was very nasty. I took the carb's apart and let them soak for a few days in carburetor cleaner and they came out looking really good only thing I had to replace was the float bowl gaskets total of maybe 35.00 or so for parts & cleaner..

Another one was a Ninja 600 86 model? the jets were gummed up due to the cycle setting for a few years so I let the jets set for a few days in carburetor cleaner and they came out looking new

Its amazing what you can do with little or no money !

Yamaha will not authorize a Carb. "cleaning" under warranty. If the dealer replaces physical hard parts and gaskets in the Carbs., there may be a chance to get it covered as a warranty job. I stress, "May be a chance". Get them to commit to the repair as a warranty job, in writing, or be prepared to pay over $200.00 for virtually no work at all,

or $600.00 to $800.00 if that actually pull the Carb. Rack off the bike. :crying:

Earl

There would have to be a manufacturing defect, bad -broken part, etc for the carb work to be under warranty. Damage from ethanol, a load of bad fuel, water, etc would not be a warranty repair unless your dealer likes you and gets "creative on the claim".

That being said the only parts you should need are float bowl gaskets and possibly float valves, but unlikely. I have successfully reused float valves many times on old carburetors. It looks like form your posts that you ride alot and the bike doesn't sit so i would rule out "conventional" dirty carbs from varnish, etc. How many miles? has it sat up any length of time (more than 4 months)?

I had the carbs off my bike because someone didn't put the float bowls back on right. The float valves have little screens on them, so debris holding up the float needle is also unlikely. Now the orings around the push in float valve are another matter. Mine didn't look great after four years and 16k miles and didn't fit super snug. This is a place fuel can seep or leak by even if the needle valve is fine. I replaced those orings, reused the float bowl gaskets and reset the float levels per goose's tech article. Cured my decel pop/afterfire.

YOu might be able to get bad o-rings on the float valve changed under warranty. It's my opinion they should be ethanol resistant and should last at least five years. I would venture a guess that's what it is if it hasn't been sitting.

I'd be glad to help you with it, its not a bad job but I'm tied up this weekend already, so I couldn't get you going before your Oct 1 trip to Sebring.

There is one mechanic at the Yamaha Dealer in Fort Myers I would trust to do the job. But only him! Don't care for the dealership otherwise. Used to work with him, he's been doing this 30 plus years. He's forgotten more stuff than most people know..

Let me know if you need help.

Rstddog

Edited by RSTDdog

There should? be an aticule here on how to clean your carbs.

Basically you:

1. turn off fuel at petcock

2. take the allen head screws out of carbs and drain (need metric 6" socket allen wrench from harbor frieght)

3. Replace allen head screws

4. fill carbs with carb cleaner and let sit an hour or two or three

5. repeat steps 2 and 3 ( you dont want this stuff going into your heads)

6. Turn fuel back on

7. Add half a can of sea foam to 1 tank of gas for next two fill ups.

My 07 sat for 2 to 3 years and this cleaned it right up!

I'll have them clean the carbs, nothing more.

I rode the bike up at the HUb with no Issues, was playing on the twisties for 2 days, then rode up to branson MO. the bike rode fine.

trailered home.

so having the carb seal loose around the head would cause it to backfire? (getting air)

Now the tank must have been off, when the shop, replaced the head bearing grease, just before I left right?. The bike went from the shop to a trailer, and I left for ARkansas

I'll look at the lines and inside the carbs this morning.

the bike runs, but 1-2-3rd gear, it sputters

:doh::confused24:what a pain in the A$$

• 2 weeks later...